Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default LTCF and moving?

ok heres the the question, I currently live in Cambria county, i will be moving within the county. I would like to know if I am required to notify anyone of the change of adress, or if since the LTCF is valid for five years, then I'm still good. I have heard mixed things on what i should do. Also while im here, do my firearms need anything about a change of adress. I know there is no suppossed "firearms registry" in PA. but when my G/F went for her LTCF the lady said to her,your roommate has 6 guns are you getting this to protect yourself from him because this will not make it legal to bring guns into an argument...or something right along those lines but my point is if theres no registry, then why(and how) did they tell her how many guns i owened at the time? sorry if that one was off topic
    You'll thank me when no one eats our brains......you'll thank me

Default Re: LTCF and moving?

Quote Originally Posted by Ja86son View Post
    ok heres the the question, I currently live in Cambria county, i will be moving within the county. I would like to know if I am required to notify anyone of the change of adress, or if since the LTCF is valid for five years, then I'm still good. I have heard mixed things on what i should do. Also while im here, do my firearms need anything about a change of adress. I know there is no suppossed "firearms registry" in PA. but when my G/F went for her LTCF the lady said to her,your roommate has 6 guns are you getting this to protect yourself from him because this will not make it legal to bring guns into an argument...or something right along those lines but my point is if theres no registry, then why(and how) did they tell her how many guns i owened at the time? sorry if that one was off topic
    On the address change...you're not required to inform the sheriff, but it is a good idea in case he has to contact you about your LTCF.

On the firearms, you do not need to notify anyone about a change of address within the state of PA. If you were moving to a different state, they may have rules about registering your firearms.

(Luzerne County)

ok heres the the question, I currently live in Cambria county, i will be moving within the county. I would like to know if I am required to notify anyone of the change of adress, or if since the LTCF is valid for five years, then I'm still good. I have heard mixed things on what i should do.
    HiredGoon beat me to this part, but it took some time to find the post I wanted to quote for your answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's no legal requirement to notify the Sheriff that you've moved, but it really is to your benefit to tell him.

Your LTCF is only as good as the Sheriff says it is, and if he revokes it then you not only don't have a License, you're presumed to be ineligible to have a License, which bumps the usual Misdemeanor 1 offense up to a Felony under the statute. So if he revokes it, all he has to do is mail a certified letter to your last known address. If you don't live there, you won't get that letter, so you'll continue carrying a firearm but now you're committing a felony.

Licenses get revoked for all sorts of reasons, so you may not have any clue that you've done something, or been accused of doing something, that might merit revocation.

Most Sheriffs will also send you a courtesy letter before your License expires, but that only makes it to your last known address, too.

So, definitely send your own certified letter to the Sheriff that issued your LTCF, giving him your new address.

Also while im here, do my firearms need anything about a change of adress. I know there is no suppossed "firearms registry" in PA. but when my G/F went for her LTCF the lady said to her,your roommate has 6 guns are you getting this to protect yourself from him because this will not make it legal to bring guns into an argument...or something right along those lines but my point is if theres no registry, then why(and how) did they tell her how many guns i owened at the time? sorry if that one was off topic
    There is no firearms registry, only a database of firearms sales. There is no need to update your address in the database, and there probably isn’t even a way to do so. As for the conversation your girlfriend had while applying for her license to carry a firearm (LTCF), I have no idea.

(Cambria County)

Ok, well thanks for the speedy answers and the help, the quote brought up some very good points. After i move(or right when im about to move), i'll make it a point to go to the courthouse and notify them, better safe than sorry.
    You'll thank me when no one eats our brains......you'll thank me

(Jefferson County)

That lady should have never made mention of another's guns.

If someone disclosed that information to another, they may have been in violation of the law. Information about potential transferee's is confidential, this very well could extend to transfers that are complete too.

I'm not one to sic a lawyer on every possible violation, but this crap of using that database has to stop.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6111: Sale or transfer of firearms

(i) Confidentiality.-- All information provided by the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant, including, but not limited to, the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant's name or identity, furnished by a potential purchaser or transferee under this section or any applicant for a license to carry a firearm as provided by section 6109 shall be confidential and not subject to public disclosure. In addition to any other sanction or penalty imposed by this chapter, any person, licensed dealer, State or local governmental agency or department that violates this subsection shall be liable in civil damages in the amount of $1,000 per occurrence or three times the actual damages incurred as a result of the violation, whichever is greater, as well as reasonable attorney fees.