Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Every so often something opens your eyes.

I haven't carried a gun in over a month. Just didn't feel like it. Last night I was going to a show at a dive bar in Polish Hill (Pittsburgh) and decided I should bring my gun. When I got to the block the bar was on everything looked really chill. It was a pretty nice neighborhood and I decided I'd leave my gun in the truck. I was going to be dancing all night and didn't feel like the extra weight.

Well, after the show was over there were cops all around my truck and when I walked down there they were interviewing two girls that got robbed at gunpoint a block away. After the cops left I sat and talked with them a bit and tried to calm them down.

Apparently a guy stepped out from behind a van and put a gun to one of their heads and asked for their purses and money. After they gave them to him he said "you better run for your life bitch!"

What a fucking coward.

Anyway the one that got the gun put to her head said "I don't even believe in guns" I said "Well, you can not believe in something up until the second it's pressed up against your head." I explained the process of getting a LTCF and told them either way to be more careful around blind corners and always keep looking around. Always be aware of what's going on around you.

They asked me if I thought they did the right thing and I told them "absolutely, if he just wants money give it to him. That can be replaced. If he wants other things (your body) you have to fight" They way it went down I don't think either of them having a gun or trying to fight back would have made for a more favorable outcome. In that situation I think the best thing they could've done was give the fucking pussy the little bit of money and get out of there.

But t made me re-think alot of things. What if they tried to robe me? I would've most likely grabbed the gun if I could but if it weren't in arms reach could I get to mine? So, I think I need to go shopping for an LCP or P3AT to keep in my back pocket where people usually carry a wallet.

It just makes you really sad to feel you need a gun to walk down the street and even more sad to realize that for many other people the best option is to give up your money. I hope to hell they catch the guy. The neighbors were all angry and the Polish Association sent their security camera tapes to the police.

I'm still sad about all of it.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Every so often something opens your eyes.

It happens everywhere. I live in a sleepy town in Lancaster, Elizabethtown. Random violent crime is unheard of here. In March 2007, my neighbor Ray Diener, age 65, was murdered on his front yard. He was chosen randomly by 2 E-town and 2 Mt Joy youths to rob. It appears the Mr. Diener spooked the shooter or resisted giving up his cell phone during the robbery. The shooter shot hm in the hip. A short time later he shot him 2 more times while he asked for mercy. The shooter was convicted and sentenced to death in March 2009. Mr. Diener was well known, respected, and popular family man. He was survived by his wife and adult children.

See:
    http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/234539

http://www.wgal.com/news/13372192/detail.html

seems like the best course of action anymore is to just stay in the house. this country is going down the shitter quickly

Quote Originally Posted by KMAG View Post
    The shooter was convicted and sentenced to death in March 2009.
    The worst part about that whole story is that the shooter is going to spend the next 40 years consuming millions of dollars in legal expenses (coming out of our wallets) fighting appeal after appeal after appeal trying to get himself off.

The girls got off very very lucky. I hope that they learn a valuable lesson from it. Bad people will do bad things to them if they don't take steps to protect themselves.

(Allegheny County)

Unfortunately, it sometimes takes an incident like this to open the eyes of so many people.

Luckily for these young ladies, the outcome was such that no one got hurt.

What I have been taught about confrontations like this is to give up the cash. It would be hard but if you decided to make a gun grab without really training on how to do it and it went south, you could be shot and possibly die. If you made the grab and in the struggle, some bystander or the bad guy was shot, you would be spending 20 or 30K on a good Lawyer whether it was a "good" shoot or not. If you had a few drinks beforehand, where does that come into play or affect some officers decision about you pulling your gun and shooting a bad guy?

Many people get into the mindset that the gun has "magic talisman" abilities to prevent such occurrences. Many women I know carry in their purse where the gun is almost useless unless enough time is available to see the event coming. If you have that much time, you wouldn't be there.

Some of PeteG's class comes to mind.

It will happen when you least expect it.
    It will be over in seconds.
    If you don't know what to do, you won't do it.

Another wrote "you won't rise to the occasion but will default to your level of training".

A fair amount to think about eh?

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Berks County)

Smile Re: Every so often something opens your eyes.

+1 for you you took an ill situation and gave it a positive outcome. Good job explaining to thoese girls the importance of firearms.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Unfortunately, it sometimes takes an incident like this to open the eyes of so many people.

Luckily for these young ladies, the outcome was such that no one got hurt.

What I have been taught about confrontations like this is to give up the cash.

Some of PeteG's class comes to mind.

It will happen when you least expect it.
    It will be over in seconds.
    If you don't know what to do, you won't do it.

Another wrote "you won't rise to the occasion but will default to your level of training".

A fair amount to think about eh?

27hand
    I've been thinking about it all day. I've been putting off getting training but now I really see the need. Really, gun classes are great but for situations like that I think hand-to hand and edged weapon classes are even more important. I honestly don't think I could've gotten to my gun in time even if I had it on me.

Really makes you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308man View Post
    +1 for you you took an ill situation and gave it a positive outcome. Good job explaining to thoese girls the importance of firearms.
    Well, I did talk a little bit about firearms but what I stressed the most is just always having situational awareness. I told them the reason they got picked was they looked like easy victims. I don't think either of them having guns would've done anything except get them shot. Keeping your wits about you might have prevented this but who knows.

Either way they did good and hopefully they'll learn from this lesson. Iknow I did.

P-11formaledgedweaponstrainingSHOOTER

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    I've been thinking about it all day. I've been putting off getting training but now I really see the need. Really, gun classes are great but for situations like that I think hand-to hand and edged weapon classes are even more important. I honestly don't think I could've gotten to my gun in time even if I had it on me.

Really makes you think.

Well, I did talk a little bit about firearms but what I stressed the most is just always having situational awareness. I told them the reason they got picked was they looked like easy victims. I don't think either of them having guns would've done anything except get them shot. Keeping your wits about you might have prevented this but who knows.

Either way they did good and hopefully they'll learn from this lesson. Iknow I did.

P-11formaledgedweaponstrainingSHOOTER
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...portunity.html

retention and disarms

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    seems like the best course of action anymore is to just stay in the house. this country is going down the shitter quickly
    but your sig line says

I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees
    I know the human condition can be a bit disheartening, but it wont get any better, not for anyone, if good men dont stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    but your sig line says

I know the human condition can be a bit disheartening, but it wont get any better, not for anyone, if good men dont stand up.
    I agree I'm being a bit hypocritical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast