Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Compliance Question

The way I understand it imported "sporting rifles" are exempt from the 922r compliance and can keep all the original parts.

My question is that if I was to convert a rifle that was imported as a sporting rifle (namely my psl) into something that would have been considered non sporting before importation(pistol grip, folding stock, threaded muzzle), would it still be exempt from 922r, or would I have to get some compliance parts?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Compliance Question

Quote Originally Posted by HalfaLehman View Post
    The way I understand it imported "sporting rifles" are exempt from the 922r compliance and can keep all the original parts.

My question is that if I was to convert a rifle that was imported as a sporting rifle (namely my psl) into something that would have been considered non sporting before importation(pistol grip, folding stock, threaded muzzle), would it still be exempt from 922r, or would I have to get some compliance parts?
    Pistol grip, folding stock, bayonet lug, among other things, will make your rifle non-sporting per 922r, and would require changing out parts for compliance.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Lebanon County)

what department or office is in charge of going around and checking up on 922r complianceness?
    has anybody ever been checked?
    has anybody ever heard of anybody being checked?
    has there ever been a 922r sting operation, where in many people were rounded up for being out of compliance?
    where did you hear about 922r regulations?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Blair County)

Compliance with H922 is not worth messing with. Do a search, there is a lot of information out there on this (what parts count, how many parts need to be changed for that particular firearm, ect.)

The argument that 922R compliance checks not ever happening may seem like a good argument but things like this can come to light. If you are involved in a shooting of ANY kind where there is an investigation, every firearm related component in your house will be examined. My father served on a jury where the prosecutor pointed out repeatedly that the defendant had over 2000 rounds of ammunition in his house (think four bricks of .22's) and how scary this was. Just imagine what happens if you do have a firearm that is in violation of the laws, no matter how absurd they are, where you converted a hunting rifle to an illegal assault rifle. The illegal part may seem like a small point in this case except that this is a charge that can be added to the list of charges and there can be an actual sentence for this crime. There are some gray areas with 922R compliance but we should always make at least a good faith attempt to comply.

H-922R is a dumb law, there is no question. It was intended (as near as anyone can figure) to prevent the importation of assault rifles (political definition) that where already banned from import, as disassembled kits. Of course, all it accomplished was to create a huge muddle of arbitrary laws and a new flock of inferior imported assault rifles with poorly made American compliance parts. We do make some good parts but the ones installed to build most off the shelf rifles are pure junk and of much poorer quality than the original.

(Berks County)

what department or office is in charge of going around and checking up on 922r complianceness?
    BATFE

has anybody ever been checked?
    has anybody ever heard of anybody being checked?
    Not that I personally know of or heard of.

has there ever been a 922r sting operation, where in many people were rounded up for being out of compliance?
    Again, not that I know of.

where did you hear about 922r regulations?
    Originally about 6-7 years ago on the FALFILES when I got into building FAL rifles from parts kits.

It is a stupid regulation, but, DO YOU WANT TO BE THE TEST CASE?

Not me, so I comply. The feds have proved they can search your house for whatever reason they want, and if they want to "get" you, and know the law. This is one of those things they can check you on.

You need to get the compliance parts. Example, I have a legal "sporting purposes" MAK-90....in order to change out the terrible hunk of 2x6 thumbhole stock to a more normal AK pattern, I also need to change out the proper number of parts to comply with 922r. Such as the hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, buttstock, pistol grip and/or front handguard.

Count your parts, comply, I would hate to see someone wind up being a "test case" and have to go to court over what is for the most part usually $100 in parts.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer