Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question first 9mm handgun purchase

I really want to get started with pistol shooting. My dad said that he would be willing to buy me 1 pistol (since I'm 18) that would also be used for home defense. He told me to do some research and figure out which one was best for our purposes. I was thinking about getting a double action pistol chambered in 9mm Parabellum. Basically, when I started looking, I decided that a handgun would have to meet 3 requirements for me to consider it:

-It has to be very durable
    -It must be very reliable, even if it gets a little dirty
    -It must cost $600 or less (my dad is going to get it from an online retailer, since they are more affordable)

Although it's not required, I would like it if the pistol accepted high capacity magazines (mags that hold 25 or more rounds). Also, I don't want a pistol that has an absurdly high trigger pull (10lbs or more).

Based on this criteria, I came up with a decent sized list:

Ruger SR9/P95
    Glock 17, 19 (C)
    Springfield XD-9/XD-M
    Beretta 92FS, 90two, and other variants
    CZ-75 and variants
    FNP9
    Taurus Millenium Pro
    Sig P250

What are your thoughts about this list? Are there any really good pistols that I forgot to put on the list? Are there any that I should absolutely remove from the list? I know that shopping for handguns is like shopping for shoes, since it all depends on which one is the best fit. I already have the chance to handle a Springfield XD-9 (and I definitely liked the way it felt). I will try to handle the other guns on the list to see if they are comfortable as well. What are your thoughts? I really want to get it right, because I'm not going to have the opportunity to get a 2nd handgun in the near future.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: first 9mm handgun purchase

Go with a CZ-p01 (CZ-75 variant)

Your requirements are similar to mine, and you will not be disappointed!

Some that you've listed there are not Double Action pistols (i.e. SR-9, Glock, XD)

The P-01 is by far the most accurate pistol I've ever fired, recoil is minimal, it's extemely durable and easy to care for.

Out of the box, the mag holds only 14 rounds +1 in the chamber, however, it will accept any CZ-75 magazine, including the longer high capacity ones. It's small enough to carry and conceal comfortably with the standard mag, but you've got the option of the big ones if the SHTF.

I believe they usually retail for between $520-$550 (as long as you're not at some huge overpriced chain store), and most any gun shop can order one for you (if they don't have one already). I'd suggest going that route instead of ordering it online--once you factor in shipping and FFL transfer costs it almost always ends up being more expensive that way.

I also have a Beretta 90-Two in 9mm. It too is an awesome gun, but it's a little big for concealed carry and trying to find a holster that fits it is a real b*tch. That being said, the trigger on it is much nicer than on the 92fs and it has an accessory rail. It's also surprisingly lightweight.

As for a couple of the others on your list:

FNP-9: Looks cool, trigger was nice on the one I played with (but opted for the P-01 instead), and I've heard they're very accurate. It is a true DA/SA (like the P-01 and Beretta). Drawbacks (for me, maybe not for you) were the polymer frame and the lack of hi cap magazines available.

Sig P-250: Cool looking gun, lightweight, compact etc. But it's Double Action Only, that's a no go for me. I like having a short light pull for follow up shots. I was attracted by the supposed interchangability factor, different calibers, sizes, etc but have come to the realization that for as much as the caliber x-change kits cost, I'd rather just buy another gun. For you however, this could be a positive. Being only 18 years old, you can't legally buy a handgun on your own--but the x-change kits are not handguns, they're parts. In theory you could buy those for yourself in the event that you'd like to have different calibers to shoot and not have to worry about having your Dad buy everything for you.

Good luck in your search, I say CZ P-01 all the way. You'll love it.
    Last edited by mak47; June 20th, 2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: more info

t
    Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    -It has to be very durable
    -It must be very reliable, even if it gets a little dirty
    -It must cost $600 or less (my dad is going to get it from an online retailer, since they are more affordable)
    Glock, hands down. Let's run down your criteria:

1. Durable: YES. Glocks can take real punishment. Hell, they're designed to. Check around the internet for the various Glock Torture Tests out there.

2. Reliable, even if dirty: YES. You'll see plenty of people say, "Yeah, I don't clean it often. It's a Glock. I don't need to." I personally don't subscribe to that belief, as I feel that any pistol is a precision piece of equipment and should be treated as such.

3. $600 or less: YES. I usually see new Glocks priced in the low-to-mid $500's.

4. Hi-cap mags: YES. Glock offers mags for the 9mm pistols as high as 33 rounds, if I remember correctly.

5. Trigger pull less than 10 pounds: YES. The stock glock trigger pull is 5.5 pounds, if I remember correctly.

6. Double Action: MAYBE. Glocks are an odd breed, in that they're striker fired, not hammer fired. If you picture the striker like a pool cue, the trigger both pulls back the cue and releases it, which causes the round to fire. Some people consider that double action, since it both cocks the firing mechanism and release it. Some people consider it single action, since there's no hammer, thus no separation of pulling back the hammer and releasing it as two distinct operations. Either way, the pull is consistent every single time, which either means it's Double Action Only (DAO) or Single Action Only (SAO). I prefer to think of it as "It's a Glock."

There are many fine pistols on your list, but if you're looking for one and only one gun to buy, Glock is your best choice. They'll eat damn near any ammo you want to feed them without complaint, and are very, very simple pistols to field strip and clean. Also, because there are a ton of Glocks out in the market, there are tons of accessories available. You'll have many choices -- perhaps too many, but better that than few/none.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    Go with a CZ-p01 (CZ-75 variant)

Your requirements are similar to mine, and you will not be disappointed!

Some that you've listed there are not Double Action pistols (i.e. SR-9, Glock, XD)

The P-01 is by far the most accurate pistol I've ever fired, recoil is minimal, it's extemely durable and easy to care for.

Out of the box, the mag holds only 14 rounds +1 in the chamber, however, it will accept any CZ-75 magazine, including the longer high capacity ones. It's small enough to carry and conceal comfortably with the standard mag, but you've got the option of the big ones if the SHTF.

I believe they usually retail for between $520-$550 (as long as you're not at some huge overpriced chain store), and most any gun shop can order one for you (if they don't have one already). I'd suggest going that route instead of ordering it online--once you factor in shipping and FFL transfer costs it almost always ends up being more expensive that way.

I also have a Beretta 90-Two in 9mm. It too is an awesome gun, but it's a little big for concealed carry and trying to find a holster that fits it is a real b*tch. That being said, the trigger on it is much nicer than on the 92fs and it has an accessory rail. It's also surprisingly lightweight.

As for a couple of the others on your list:

FNP-9: Looks cool, trigger was nice on the one I played with (but opted for the P-01 instead), and I've heard they're very accurate. It is a true DA/SA (like the P-01 and Beretta). Drawbacks (for me, maybe not for you) were the polymer frame and the lack of hi cap magazines available.

Sig P-250: Cool looking gun, lightweight, compact etc. But it's Double Action Only, that's a no go for me. I like having a short light pull for follow up shots. I was attracted by the supposed interchangability factor, different calibers, sizes, etc but have come to the realization that for as much as the caliber x-change kits cost, I'd rather just buy another gun. For you however, this could be a positive. Being only 18 years old, you can't legally buy a handgun on your own--but the x-change kits are not handguns, they're parts. In theory you could buy those for yourself in the event that you'd like to have different calibers to shoot and not have to worry about having your Dad buy everything for you.

Good luck in your search, I say CZ P-01 all the way. You'll love it.
    I 2nd the CZ pistol. I personally own the CZ-85B that's worked. Should have it real soon.

Think my CZ-85 holds 15+1...mags are $40/piece though.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Monroe County)

He wants a DA ,that rules out Glock , SR9 and XD, The CZ is a very nice Gun, and the very best grip you will feel on any Gun.

I would not recommend a Glock for a new Gun owner.
    I also would not recommend buying a gun that you have never handled or seen from the internet, go to gun store and handle about 5 or 6 guns to see how they feel IN YOUR hand. You are not really saving anything from buying on line , the couple of dollars you save you will have to pay for shipping and FFL transfer fees, insurance etc.

Nyman

(York County)

Really any of those on your list are good choices. Minus the Taurus, i just cant trust Taurus, not from heresay either, from personal experience.

I currently own a Ruger P95, bought it new for $325 plus tax and PICS check. I've put over 3,100 rounds through it so far, without a single FTF, FTE, or any kind of hiccup. The gun is a bit bulky and heavy, so its not the best for carrying, but if your gonna use it for home defense mostly, its perfect for that coupled with some quality hollowpoints. I use Speer Gold Dots.

I'd also recommend a Sig Sauer. Extremely reliable firearms across the board and durable. But, most of them new will be out of your price range. I'd still consider looking for a used P229 or P226, they can be had for the $550-$600ish range. They're great firearms. I own two P226's that i love to death, and i'm currently considering a P229 as i think it may be a little better for CC than the P226's.

High capacity magazines as high as 30 rounds can be had for both guns i've listed. Both are extremely reliable. Both are durable. Both have double actions available. The Ruger can definitely be had for way under $600, and if you look around, you can find plenty of used Sigs going for around the $600 mark, give or take a few dollars. I dont, however, know what the trigger pulls are on the Ruger P95's, Sig P226's, or the P229's.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; June 20th, 2009 at 04:28 AM.

(Monroe County)

White shadow, I own a SIG 229 cpo, its an awesome gun, ideal for cc, more compact than the 226.

I really do believe that the 229, 226 and 22o are the best guns Sig makes.

A cpo Sig should be within his price range.

Nyman

(Luzerne County)

I love my XDm 9mm. Mag capacity is 19 plus 1 in the chamber. Mine is full size, so it isn't easily concealed.

(Berks County)

If DAO isn't a big deal then you should be fine with one of the two Glocks you mentioned. They're reasonably priced and reliable as stone, with parts available everywhere (also reasonably priced). They tend to favor smaller hands, though.

If you carry without one in the chamber, you'll be single action as soon as you rack the slide anyway.

I've handled XD9s in the past and I haven't cared for them. Too much of a junky feel in comparison to the Euro semiautos.

If you must have a DAK feature go with a SIG P226 or P229, with the understanding that you will pay substantially more for it. I have the SA/DA version in .40 S&W caliber and it's an amazing artillery piece, as it is extremely accurate in my amateur hands.

(Bucks County)

Out of the given choices and your requirements, can't beat a Beretta. Too cool.
    I would normally recommend a Glock, but not for first time handgun owner/shooter. Besides, it isn't a true DA gun.
    Last edited by QuakertownRich; June 20th, 2009 at 08:14 AM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast