Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Need some advice on new Holster

Hey guys, here's the deal: I turn 21 next week so I'm starting to seriously look into getting my first holster(s). I know finding the right holster is more or less a craps shoot, but I'd like to start with some good advice from knowledgeable people (you guys!). Here's some points to get the discussion started:
    • I'm considering both IWB and OWB.
    • The holster will almost certainly be for a full-size M&P9, but this discussion is about a holster, so forget about the gun except for realizing what the holster is for.
    • I would say that I'm of medium build; certainly not "big", but certainly not "small".

There are a few holsters that I already have my eye on, so let me know if any of you have experience with them and what your thoughts are about them:

Comp-Tac: C-T.A.C. Holster or Gurkha Slide
    Blade-Tech: Revolution
    Blackhawk: Level 2 SERPA

I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on my first holster. I just want something practical, functional, and as comfortable as possible. Thanks in advance for all the advice!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Need some advice on new Holster

You might remember seeing me carry my USP Compact in a Blackhawk Serpa. I wouldn't trade it in for anything in the world. Although i am still looking for a decient IWB that I will find comfortable.

Then again, i have this thing about Blackhawk products

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Lawrence County)

OK, I'm "medium build", but dressing to carry often is more important than the actual holster.

If you wear a cover garment....long shirt, vest, etc.....any decent OWB holster will work fine.

If you do not, then I suggest pants that are about 2 inches larger at the waist and a nice flat leather holster (Kydex IWB is NOT very comfortable IMHO). Galco tends to be entry level with Milt Sparks and others being the cream of the crop. I don't think slides are a good idea save for range usage.

Finally.....it NEEDS to be comfortable to carry. Otherwise, you just won't as much as you should.

Lycantrysomeonatthegunshopthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    If you do not, then I suggest pants that are about 2 inches larger at the waist and a nice flat leather holster (Kydex IWB is NOT very comfortable IMHO).
    Naturally, opinions vary on that. I find kydex IWB to be comfortable in a different way -- it's thinner front to back, hence takes up less room, and that provides comfort too.

There are dozens of "holster recommendation" threads here on PAFOA. My recommendation is do a search.

(York County)

I carry OWB. I've tried IWB and just don't care for it.

As Lycanthope wrote, if you carry OWB, a covering garment is required (unless you want to open carry).
    I like a sports coat due to it's versatility. No one ever looks at a sports coat. You don't even have to spend much (try Good Will, Salvation Army, Value City).

(Allegheny County)

Here's the thread I started when looking for an inexpensive OWB holster...
    (Lots of good input in there from members and on page 6 you'll see what I decided on.)
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...-holsters.html

Just a few of my thoughts...
    • I think the gun you carry WILL be a factor in how(IWB/OWB) and what you choose.

• IWB w/full size handgun... people do it. I tried it w/my Glock in my "too-big-in-the-waist" pants and I did not like it much. Granted, it was much easier to conceal with a light shirt/Loose T-shirt as cover, but I really didn't care for the gaping hole in front of and behind the holster that allowed a visual inspection of my underwear. Then again, the ventilation keeps the guys cool!

• I found that with a heavier, full-size handgun I MUST wear a belt to support the weight. My small Colt Pony and tiny P32 are no problem, but the Glock with a full mag is much heavier and won't stay put without the help of a belt.

if I think of anything else, I'll add it later.
    Good luck and clear out a drawer or find a box for the ones you buy that don't work out!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    • IWB w/full size handgun... people do it. I tried it w/my Glock in my "too-big-in-the-waist" pants and I did not like it much. Granted, it was much easier to conceal with a light shirt/Loose T-shirt as cover, but I really didn't care for the gaping hole in front of and behind the holster that allowed a visual inspection of my underwear. Then again, the ventilation keeps the guys cool!
    That's a visual I really didn't need at this moment!

I agree with you -- any medium to fullsize gun needs a belt, and for any carry over 15 minutes, a real gun belt is preferred. In fact, in my experience, THE #1 beginner gear mistake is to carry with a flimsy dress belt. I did this, and was constantly wondering why my back was being lacerated after a half hour of carry.

Full-size M&P: this is a large gun, roughly G17ish in size I'm guessing. Since it holds 17 rds, the handle is very heavy, and presents a lot of weight offset from the slide.

Therefore, for this gun:

1. gun belt is mandatory, IWB or OWB.
    2. The grip-heavy weight will torque the entire gun, hence a stable holster is needed.
    3. Most OWB are inherently stable enough, but will be a challenge to conceal that large a gun OWB in the summer.
    4. IWB: it might be problematic for the "belt loop on top of holster" design to keep such a grip-heavy gun stable. The "spread belt loop" IWB style will definitely be more stable. Of that style you have two front runners:
    - CTAC: many people swear by it. You will have the "ventilated underwear" syndrome, though, and I personally found it hard to get comfortable. If you can find one used, it may be worth a try, BUT the used market is sparse for new guns such as the M&P.
    - Milt Sparks VM2: comfortable, very stable, no underwear ventilation. For someone new to carry, and for this gun, your odds are very high this will be a keeper: MY PICK.
    Last edited by dgg9; May 24th, 2007 at 08:17 AM.

(Bucks County)

(Allegheny County)

Yea if I could get a serpa for my Sigma I would for OWB Open Carry.

now concealment wise, I have a Don Hume IWB Cowhide leather I got for under 30 bucks from theholsterstore.com Since they have it for the sigma i'm sure they have it for the M&P it's super comfortable and rather quick, except for getting your shirt the hell out of the way which is the problem when you have a shirt over your weapon.

Right now I am thinking of a "Work Expense" / Gift is going to be a Galco Shoulder Holster.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexington86 View Post
    Hey guys, here's the deal: I turn 21 next week so I'm starting to seriously look into getting my first holster(s). I know finding the right holster is more or less a craps shoot, but I'd like to start with some good advice from knowledgeable people (you guys!). Here's some points to get the discussion started:
    • I'm considering both IWB and OWB.
    • The holster will almost certainly be for a full-size M&P9, but this discussion is about a holster, so forget about the gun except for realizing what the holster is for.
    • I would say that I'm of medium build; certainly not "big", but certainly not "small".

There are a few holsters that I already have my eye on, so let me know if any of you have experience with them and what your thoughts are about them:

Comp-Tac: C-T.A.C. Holster or Gurkha Slide
    Blade-Tech: Revolution
    Blackhawk: Level 2 SERPA

I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on my first holster. I just want something practical, functional, and as comfortable as possible. Thanks in advance for all the advice!

I've carried in both the c-tac an ghurka. In my opinion they are the finest kydex IWB's available. That being said, i now cary in a Fist #20. It's a lot like the c-tac as far as being adjustable for cant and ride height and being stable on the belt, but it's more comfortable, has better retention and doesn't break because it's leather.

I've played with the bladetech and Serpa, the bladetech isn't stable and offers little retention, the Serpa system i consider unsafe under stress (i back that statement up with cases of people shooting themselves.)

You could always buy something cheaper, then throw it out and buy something good later. Just my experience with holsters.
    Last edited by MarcS; May 23rd, 2007 at 07:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast