Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Just exactly "WHERE"?

Like I said, Just exactly "WHERE"?

It is very nice of you guys to post such comments as ""Just got a great deal at Gizmotchy's today on a surplus Eargeschplitten Loudenboomer." And then to go on and tell of the service, the wonderfully knowledgeable staff, and the funny old geezer who was just hanging out at the counter for the last week.

But my gripe is that you do not (generally) post the WHERE. (Like in East Newovershoe, Bogdown County, PA) or somesuch.

Come on, folks, give me a little help here. If you are gonna brag on a shop OR rant on them, lemme know just where they are, so I do not have to redo your bad experiences, or so I can have a tip to a good one, maybe.

Thanks, Flash
    Last edited by Flash; June 17th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Just exactly "WHERE"?

Bump.

I was thinking the same thing this past weekend. I want to go shopping for a new one myself, and I'm new to PA. I don't know where anything is, except for my grocery store and my job.

(Northampton County)

Most people have their location listed, so if they are in your area you can always shoot them a PM and ask specifics.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
    Most people have their location listed, so if they are in your area you can always shoot them a PM and ask specifics.
    Not necessary. Spit it out up front.

(Northampton County)

Ask or don't find out, pretty simple.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Webcrawler View Post
    Bump.

I was thinking the same thing this past weekend. I want to go shopping for a new one myself, and I'm new to PA. I don't know where anything is, except for my grocery store and my job.
    OK heres SIG-GIRL and my favorite shop the only place we shop.
    American Sport Shooting
    Route 209, Broadheadsville, P.A. 18322 Monroe County
    HC1 Box 615

Phone# 570-992-4450 Fax# 570-9924451
    There you go now go and enjoy the best shop period in P.A.

(Franklin County)

Ask or don't find out, pretty simple.
    Not intending to give you cause to take offense, Slim, but one would think that if a person had enough bile to rag on a shop or range and then to sit down to the 'puter and log on to a board and vent, they would also have enough pressure left over after naming the place and describing the incident, they would still have just enough more to identify location. (As in realty: "Location! Location ! Location ! ").

Or, on the other hand, if they thought so well of the place and of their transaction and the merchant and the sales persons that they would not only mention the name, but would attempt to facilitate the experience for their associates on the board by mentioning ... . . Just exactly "WHERE"?

Just seems to make sense - - finish the job.

To be sure, most board members DO have their location listed, but I suppose that many of them, as do I, manage to shop in places at some remove from their homes. Why I have actually shopped (gasp ! ) in LANCASTER COUNTY a couple of times, and I had to cross the entire length of both Adams and York Counties to get there.

I might add that these visits were at "Backwoods Outfitters" and "Enck's Gun Barn", both shops which have recieved significant mention as desirable palces to shop from other board members. In both cases, I mentioned to the shop personnel that this visit was in response to PAFOA recommendations, and they were aware of their reputations here.

But, of course, I could still "Google" the place, and go through all that, couldn't I ?

Thanks,

Flash

(Northampton County)

Flash,

I understand what you're saying.........but it takes little energy or effort on your part to ask via PM or a post on the board right?

Maybe I'm just getting older and crankier, but what happened to making some effort for ourselves vs expecting everything to be laid out and made easy for us? That's not directed at you Flash, just in general.

(Franklin County)

Flash,

I understand what you're saying.........but it takes little energy or effort on your part to ask via PM or a post on the board right?

Maybe I'm just getting older and crankier, but what happened to making some effort for ourselves vs expecting everything to be laid out and made easy for us? That's not directed at you Flash, just in general.
    Slim, I really am with you. I do invest a lot of time and effort in tracking and researching that sort of thing, especially so where it interests me. Some PM's are answered nightly, some never are. That, as I said, is why Google is my friend. Many other board members do just exactly that, too: "find out for themselves", by one means or another.

Just thinking, though, that if a fellow was so miffed at his encounter (or on the other hand, so pleased) that when he exerts all the effort to identify the establishment, he'd want to do "the full Monte".

I would hate to inadvertently go to some of these places noted on this board if I got treated like others report. Converslely, good establishments are in short supply and decreasing, seemingly, daily. I would like to patronize the good ones to keep them in business and avoid the poison ones (let THEM stay or fail on their own merit - or lack of it - but without my $$$).

No, Slim. You may be getting older, but "crankier" is not in your posts. I, too, decry the general lack of completeness in much of "modern" work, the unwillingness to do a little digging for one's own self. However, whenever possible, I will give roses where they are due and when they are due. And no, I don't feel directed upon. Understaniding is never out of style.

Maybe this shuld have been a PM, but then again . . . Slim, you do have a valid point. Maybe I'm borderline-curmudgeon. Maybe I need more time at the range. That's always very soothing. Come on down, we'll go to the range, B-8's at 25 yds. Looser buys the Dr.Pepper.

Flash

(Elk County)

Flash,

IMO, it takes just as much energy to type the location of the shop being commented upon, and it takes LESS overall time, energy and involvement to type that location in the review thread than having to type a response PM or EM to someone asking the location because the OP didn't include the location in the first place.

No offense, it's just my opinion that if I'm going to make a review post of a shop, post the town as well as the shop name. It's one to three more words at most.

But then, I'm the kind of person that slows way down when I get to the phone number when leaving a voice mail. Nothing ticks me more than a person leaving a voice mail and racing through their phone number.

Noah