Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Taurus .22 Revolver & Rifle - Opinions?

Well... I had to decide whether to put this in "Rifles" or "Pistols." So I ended up flipping a coin...

It seems to me that everyone has a Ruger .22lr these days. The people who don't have one always seem to have a Buckmark. I have nothing against either, but I want to be a little bit different. Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 94 .22lr revolver in any of its myriad configurations? I'm thinking stainless with the 4" barrel.

When it comes to rifles, again the same thing applies. Nearly everyone has a Ruger 10/22. The runners-up have the Marlin 60. And then, there are the dark-horse candidates who have the Remington 597. Again, just for the sake of being different... I'm thinking about the Taurus M62C pump-action rifle. Again, I'm looking at the stainless model with the 16" barrel.

Here's my logic: Semi-automatic .22s are notoriously picky about what you feed them. A revolver/pump combo renders that argument moot. All .22s tend to be a bit dirty, as well. Two stainless-steel guns may work out better in the long run.

I've thought about the whole tube-fed/speed-loader versus magazines issue. The fact is... these would be plinkers (paper bullseyes, tin cans, maybe a rabbit someday). I'm not looking for a "tactical rimfire" by any stretch of the imagination.

And I've also addressed the fact that there is so much aftermarket "candy" out there for the Rugers (and, to a lesser degree, the Remington and the Browning). I'm OK with that... as I'm not out to build a "race gun."

Any thoughts about the Taurus duo? Any first-hand experiences? Yea/Nay? Just curious. Thanks.
    Last edited by Arcana71; April 30th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Taurus .22 Revolver & Rifle - Opinions?

I've had a 4" stainless Model 94 for a few months now. I only have about 100 rounds through it. While I don't think is ia quite as accurate as my S & W 22A, I still like shooting it.

In fact, I like it so much that I just bought a Taurus .357, the 627 Tracker.

I've been eying a tracker .22.

(Susquehanna County)

Sounds like a nice, neat, usable, affordable combination!

If you have a teenage son, you might have to wrestle with him to see who gets first dibs on the rifle! I also know a few ladies that like to shoot crisp "kit gun" sized rimfire revolvers, so be careful your choices don't get exappropriated!

Although a SAA style revolver might make the combo more appealling as "period pieces".

Have lots of fun!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Sounds like a nice, neat, usable, affordable combination!
    That's pretty much what I was thinking the whole time. I could probably bring both of them home for a grand total somewhere under $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Although a SAA style revolver might make the combo more appealling as "period pieces".
    True... but that isn't a big worry of mine. In truth, the Model 94 fetish started as a quest to find a good, old Harrington & Richardson on the cheap (but I couldn't). And the M62C thing began with me looking at a CZ 452 bolt-action. Fact is, depending on what I find locally... it may still go that way. Then again, my Uncle has the original Winchester M62, so it would be very cool to shoot both side-by-side! And my dream rimfire revolver is still a 4" Harrington & Richardson 999 Sportsman... but the people who have them are holding on to them very tightly.

And by the way, I really am impressed that I received three responses within an hour of posting the question. You guys rock!

(Delaware County)

I have a Taurus 941 in .22mag. There are 2,000 rounds through it and it works just fine. Not the quality {trigger pull} of a S&W but not the cost either. The .22 LR is a 9 shot revolver, good for field carry. Worth the money.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

I have a taurus 94 4 inch stainless ... have had it for yrs and yrs now , most accurate 22 handgun I got. I used to have a rem 597 , I wouldn't wish that piece of crap on my worst enemy , the factory couldn't even fix it , I have replaced it with a ruger 10-22.

(Jefferson County)

My dad has one of the pump 22lr rimfire rifles, but it was made by Rossi before Taurus acquired the rights or whatever from Rossi.

Its a good shooter. Feeds shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges without a problem. Of all the 22lr rifles I've shot, think his Rossi(now Taurus production) is my favorite.

I plan on getting one someday in stainless. Specifically the one below.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...category=Rifle

(Westmoreland County)

This is my nephew shooting my Taurus 22 pump. its a very fun rifle to shoot.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    This is my nephew shooting my Taurus 22 pump. its a very fun rifle to shoot.

I'm soooo jealous!!!

The same one I want!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast