Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Auto Ordnance 1911 GI

I picked this 1911 up new a few weeks ago from a local dealer. Due to the ammo shortage, I had to get whatever ammo was available. So it came down to some wad cutters. The feel of the gun was good, saying that, this is my first 1911, so I am just going off of the other guns that I shoot. The AO felt good in my hand, good balance and just made me realize this is what a gun should feel like. I worked the mechanics of the gun and it moved and sounded like what a gun should. My first time shooting the gun, or any 1911 for that matter, was horrible. The first round jammed, the second round jammed, the last round jammed. Failures to load if you will. So I put it away thinking it was just not broken in yet. Tried it again a week later, same results. Then I was able to get my hands on some 230 grain ball ammo. Let me tell you, that was the nicest shooting that I've ever had in a handgun. No problems at all. I had read that these guns are finicky, but now I know. After all the research I should have done first, I found the GI 1911's are designed to be used with FMJ's, and with others they tend to jam. With the new ammo, this gun, now that it has been taken over by Kahr, is amazing. I can't get enough of shooting it. That first time when I was out with the FMJ's, I was hitting a 4" group at 25 yards, which is great for my free handing. I would recommend this gun to anyone, at the modest price, I paid about $450 for mine, it was well worth the buy. More fun to shoot than my .380, more accurate than my Beretta's, and less of a kick than the 9x18's, this gun has it all. Plus more power than the others. I understand why people who have 1911's stick with them, they become addicting. I'll have to start making mods to it sometime in the future, maybe even invest in another. But the AO 1911 is a great gun for the money, just don't be discouraged if you're using anything but FMJ 230 grain bullets. On a side note, I also put in some hollowpoints (personal protection) and they cycled and fired like a dream. Don't let people disway you from Auto-Ordnance just because they used to have a bad name. It's an all-American gun now and well worth every penny.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Auto Ordnance 1911 GI

Your gun was set up to shoot 230 grain ammo.
    If you are shooting 200 or 185g semi wade cutters, you will need to change you recoil spring. Not sure what your gun came with (probably a #17 or #18.5), and to shoot those wade cutters, you will need to change it to a 15 or 16, but you will have to see what works best in your gun.
    This goes for just about any 1911. When you are cutting down the power factor, you need to change that spring, or you will have the problems that you experienced.

Brownells sell the recoils springs.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; June 16th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Monroe County)

Auto Ordnance is trying very hard,they deserve to be given a chance , glad it worked out ok, Yes the AO guns are patterned on the GI guns, theyre meant to shoot 230 grn ball ammo. After it has broken in somewhat you can try some hollowpoints.
    Try the REemington 230 grn hp it has a very good ogive thats conducive to excellent feeding in 1911's
    Nyman

(Adams County)

Don't blame the gun for not feeding target wadcutter loads. I have a Glock 30 that will feed everything except for wadcutter loads. Since I don't anticipate using it for a bullseye gun I can live with that.