Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Training/Help/Drills For Improving Sprorting Clays Score

well I'm looking for help raising my score in sporting clays.

i love shooting sporting clays and i have a average of 34.2 in sporting clays. with a personal best of 38, i am pretty much staying at high 30's. this past weekend i shot a 36 and i missed so many shots that i normally would hit. i felt that i should have had a low to mid 40's.

using a stoeger 12g O/U with 7 1/2 shot
    first tube has mod choke
    second tube has full choke

I'm just looking for some pointers and maybe some training exercises from those of you that shoot clays.

i might just pay for some one on one with an instructor but before i spend money i would like to get some free advice :-)

Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: Training/Help/Drills For Improving Sprorting Clays Score

Sporting Clays is one of those sports that really does boil down to the basics. The very best shooters in the sport have said time and time again that it is simply a matter of doing 'the same thing EACH AND EVERY TIME" you step into the box and when you call for the bird.

Start with visual - have a game plan when you step into the box. Watch the birds come off of the trap and know exactly which one you are going to shoot first and where you plan on breaking them. Some of the most easy shots in the world become increasingly more difficult after just a second or two hesitation. (i.e. - falling birds)

Stance - When you step into the box and you have your gameplan on where you are going to break them, point your belly button toward the point you are going to break the 2nd bird and 'wind up' like batting at a baseball. Turn toward the trap and if at all possible, watch the birds come off of the trap. That will appear to slow things down a bit for you.

Keep both eyes open if possible. Shotguns aren't aimed...they are pointed and it keeps your depth perception at a higher level if you are able to keep both eyes open.

Chokes - Your chokes are a bit too tight for Starview. Most of the people I shoot with, as well as myself, shoot with IC and Skeet. The tightest choke I would use is Mod...and that would only be for my 2nd barrel. HOWEVER...there is some school of thought that if you practice with tighter chokes...it makes you understand and compensate for your lead picture a bit better. Try opening up your chokes a bit and see where your scores go.

Just a few things off the top of my head that I hope help you out. Consistancy is where I fault the most. I shot a 47 on Sunday but I just can't seem to keep my scores that high on a regular basis.

alright im trying to find chokes what chokes would you recomend i use and have availible for a quick change? also what barrel should i have them in? i might buy a set of extended chokes for my gun next week is there a place that sells decent chokes but isnt $60 per choke?

(York County)

Which barrel you shoot first is just a personal preference thing. It would be wise to have the more open choke in the 1st barrel and the slightly tighter choke in the 2nd barrel.

For example: I use IC in my first barrel and LM (light Modified) in my 2nd barrel. On occasion I switch to the tighter choke for the 1st shot if it is farther out but that only really happens on incomming birds. (The advantage of having a barrel selector switch)

Extended chokes are good but can get costly. Not sure who carries them but I do know that Colonial Arms (www.colonialarms.com) has a good website with lots of choke info and sells a variety of them.

(Delaware County)

Check www.gamaliel.com for your chokes. I just bought chokes for my shotgun there. Berreta Mobilchokes were $23.00 each. {they aren't extended chokes} They are shotgun oriented website. Prices seem to be pretty good across the board.

Everybody seems to be using extended chokes and 28" barrels from what I see. Open your pattern a little more was a good suggestion.

I've never shot Sporting clays, but is #8 shot an option for the game? I know those rabbit targets are tougher to break.
    Last edited by SauerGrapes; June 17th, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Chester County)

I seem to improve my scores when I pay particular attention to my foot position. If you make sure you are comfortable in where you expect to break the shot it works much better that being comfortable when calling for the bird.

I also found that i improved a lot by slowing down a little. I really tend to shoot fast but by not moving the gun until I could clearly see the bird I started breaking more of them. I think rushing,unless it is a trick shot, lowers scores.

I also agree with the other posters that if you stick with chokes around improver cylinder you will pick up birds.

well i just placed my order for chokes.

2-Cylinder
    2-Skeet
    1-improved cylinder
    1-Light full

i have:

2- Modified
    1- improved cylinder

so i will have on me:

2- cylinder
    2- skeet
    2- improved cylinder
    2- modified
    1- light full

im just building up to 2 of each that way i have the ability to switch-up if i want

what i want to find out know is which one is good for what yardage that way i know which to use for what shot
    Last edited by xXWildPonyXx; June 23rd, 2009 at 09:47 AM.