Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Watch Your Range Bag - It May Disappear

Last night my friend's range bag disappeared. It also had a firearm in it.

So, here is the story: After finishing in the range, the regulars put their bags aside in the store and shoot the breeze, talking about guns and admiring what is on the racks. When my friend wanted to take his bag to the car, he could not find it. He remembered he placed it on a table in the back of the store. Everyone became alarmed and started looking for it. After determining the time it may have disappeared and discussing who was in the store and/or range, the owner viewed the videotapes from the various cameras in the store. He found the tape, saw who did it, and called the guy. At first, the guy denied taking the bag. When the owner mentioned that he has the videotape, the guy's story changed, blaming it on his friend who was with him. The owner then requested that the guy return the bag NOW!! The guy did, and my friend checked to make sure everything was in it.

It was amazing how the regulars stayed with my friend for support. All of us were angry that someone, who is a member of this range, would do this. It helped that all of us were aware of who was in the range and in the store, and when we saw this or that person leaving or where he was standing.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Watch Your Range Bag - It May Disappear

Glad it worked out. This is also why I'm VERY hesitant to leave my guns at the bench, even though the range rules say no firearms allowed downrange. The rifle range especially, you can't make it back from 100 yards out before someone makes off with your stuff unless you can run close that distance quicker then they can close 15 feet to their car.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Susquehanna County)

I'm glad the person was caught. I hope it gives them something to reflect on.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Glad it worked out. This is also why I'm VERY hesitant to leave my guns at the bench, even though the range rules say no firearms allowed downrange. The rifle range especially, you can't make it back from 100 yards out before someone makes off with your stuff unless you can run close that distance quicker then they can close 15 feet to their car.

camper
    I agree. However, the regulars watch out for each others' stuff. Last night was unusual because there were some people whom we never saw before.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    I'm glad the person was caught. I hope it gives them something to reflect on.
    I hope so, too. Besides my friend, the owner, and one of the salesmen, there were five of us standing at the door, waiting for him but in a non-intimidating manner. He now knows that he is being watched very, very closely.

There are all kinds of people out there. Just because they are a member of a range doesn't change how they are. My club has about 3,000 members so I'm sure there are a few not so honest people in that membership. The bottom line is not to get comfortable about not watching your bag. After all your valuables are in there, which include a gun or two, your responsibility. In any case thank goodness for cameras.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; June 16th, 2009 at 08:55 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    There are all kinds of people out there. Just because they are a member of a range doesn't change how they are. My club has about 3,000 members so I'm sure there are a few not so honest people in that membership. The bottom line is not to get comfortable about not watching your bag. After all your valuables are in there, which include a gun or two, your responsibility. In any case thank goodness for cameras.
    It was a wake up call for all of us. The regulars trust each other. Unfortunately, you have dishonest people who take advantage of this trust. We all agreed that from now on, we are taking our bags to the car immediately after shooting. Then we can go back in the store without worrying.

(Montgomery County)

Was this at Classic Pistol?
    I was there one time when the same thing happened. It turned out that somebody moved a members range bag to another bank of lanes. they were probably setting it up to be taken.
    That was enough for me to be extra vigilant when I go shooting.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Mercer County)

Perhaps I missed the part where the police were called and the guy was carted off for theft of a firearm?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    It was a wake up call for all of us. The regulars trust each other. Unfortunately, you have dishonest people who take advantage of this trust. We all agreed that from now on, we are taking our bags to the car immediately after shooting. Then we can go back in the store without worrying.
    I'm not sure if that's a good idea either. I'm always looking for people casing cars at the range. If somebody saw you putting your range bag into your car and then going back into the range, they'd know that there was a good chance guns would be in the car. It's very quick and easy to break into cars these days.
    Last edited by 1blindref; June 16th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast