Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default Re: Guns drawn and surrounded by 12 of moon townships finest tonight

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Wait a minute.

I'm not at all suggesting that anything you did was illegal.

However, the rather circuitous route you took could have been misconstrued by a homeowner or passerby that you might have been a prowler (see bolded). Add to that the fact that noting a firearm probably heightened their concern and motivated them to call the police.

If the police had been monitoring your stroll and witnessed the unorthodox path you were taking just prior to making contact, they may have thought the same thing.

Filing a complaint is certainly your prerogative but do consider the circumstances from their PoV.
    When I used to live in Shrewsbury, me and this guy I knew used to walk the back streets at 2 am, even going as far as walking behind the Saubel's supermarket a couple times. Never saw a cop. Of course we weren't OCing either, but anyone seeing us walking in such places might have thought we were up to something. Whole town was asleep though LOL.

Merely walking such a path doesn't mean shit.

This incident, if even true, is def worthy of a smackdown of that PD. I am doubting the story because it just seems really out of place with how things have been lately with OCing in PA. If true, I think that manager guy called in and lied, maybe said some hysterical thing. That needs to be looked into- the 911 call.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Allegheny County)

moon and robinson have in the past been very anti-OC.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Washington County)

just for the sake of argument lets say that you get a lawyer and go though the motions. What would the possible outcomes be for a situation like this one? and I remind you this is just hypothetically.
    Last edited by Mr_Anderson; June 16th, 2009 at 01:35 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    just for the sake of argument lets say that you get a lawyer and go though the motions. What would the possible outcomes be for a situation like this one? and I remind you this is just hypocritical.
    Hypocritical in what way?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
    Hypocritical in what way?
    sorry meant to say hypothetically its late and I am tired. It is fixed now.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    *bold by me.*
    I disagree. Maybe a couple of folks showing their offense at the first read of this event, but the majority is just plain good advice.

You can always expect to see range of responses to a situation like the one reported in the OP, but IMO these are mostly quite reasonable.

But, "You guys are already going for the jugular." Really? I find your assessment to be just a bit over the top, if you ask me, although no one has.
    Or requiring 911 and police dispatchers to disregard such calls upon asking the caller if the person of interest is using it in a threatening or menacing manner and getting a negative response (false reports to be 5 year mandatory sentence + $50K civil fine which goes to the person of interest).
    Nothing wrong for you, but stop posting and GET A LAWYER, your rights where destroyed, and crimes where committed against you.
    ^This^
    Exactly what he said!
    Damn am I tired of this crap. Would it help if the call takers (on the other end of 911) were trained to ask the caller in response to "this person has a gun" where is the gun located? Is it in a holster that is on their belt? IF the answer is "yes" then tell them that there is no problem with that, and dispatch an officer to chat with the caller? I mean, if we are out openly carrying, and not waving the gun around shooting in the air recklessly, or not threatening anyone. Yes, people can "feel threatened" by this but IMHO they need to grow some and get over it.
    Rights destroyed? Crimes committed? Suggesting that 911 dispatchers make a judgment call based based on pre-established Q&A? Suggesting people get over it and grow a set?

Yea, what was I thinking?

Think of the total context of the incident. Even if the OP did take this route as a matter of habit, it was night and quite possibly those that have been accustomed to seeing him at other times could not readily identify him given the low light condition.

Gimme a break. You guys want blood.

(Allegheny County)

Hey NEO... well it was nice meeting you tonight, but man that is a hard one... I will write a letter tomorrow considering all my employees also CC and OC and doing business in moon will be a hard thing if this happens again. Take advice and consult a lawyer, consults are free (usually) and a lot of guys would love to make their name by taking this case... Also call the ACLU, I know they are usually the bad guys but they love taking on amendment and BOR violation issues.

(Erie County)

Sometimes you have to draw blood to get your point across.
    Highly motivated, truly dedicated, United States MARINE .......

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Living in York City and somewhat familiar with small town police radios it could have easily been taken out of context between the caller and the dispatcher... leaving the officers with no real clue as what's going on..

a man with a gun cutting through the field? who knows how the call was handled?

As others have stated, a simple "was it holstered" would have made all the difference in the World!

I am not at all saying our OP did anything wrong.

What I am saying is that I can easily see how these things spiral. I have seen it, witnessed it, and heard it over the radio enough to know that calls are often explained multiple times and change from minute to minute.

If this department has a history of being anti-OC then there could be more to the agenda of trying to get him to cover up.

His Rights were clearly violated but this is exactly what I said in my post about the DNR officer asking for my gun... let them do their job and comply. Let the dust settle and live through it. If needed, get a lawyer. Let the lawyer give them an education, and teach them a lesson at the same time.

I'm glad you are ok. The adrenaline and shakiness is not a good thing, never is. You shouldn't have to question yourself. The answer is clear: You did the right thing.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    Nothing wrong for you, but stop posting and GET A LAWYER, your rights where destroyed, and crimes where committed against you.
    I agree with this. If for no other reason than to seek the satisfaction of saying:

Quote Originally Posted by Neo31rex31 View Post
    Officer 4: You have to understand why we stopped you, we got a man with a gun call and we had to respond.
    To Officer 4: You have to understand why I had to sue you, I had 8 thugs pointing guns at me for no reason.

Officer 6: We understand that Open Carrying your firearm is your right, and you are perfectly legal to do so, however do you see all of the problems it causes.
    To Officer 6: I understand that you felt the need to stop and disarm me while going about my business and breaking no laws, however do you see all the problems it causes when you detain people without cause?

Officer 5: Don't you think it would be better if you just cover it up as you have a license to do so.
    To Officer 5: Don't you think it would be better if you just refrain from detaining people for conducting themselves in a manner that you know is legal?

It seems that some people in this thread think that taking legal action is unwarranted or worse. I'm right up there with everyone else thinking that this country is litigating itself to death, but we are talking about liberty here. You might think that it was a minor inconvenience, but you cannot put a price on another man's time. Furthermore, to those who think that legal action is over the top, I ask you how you would feel if a group of people pointed guns at you.... suddenly and for no apparent reason.

Legal action is the only non-violent deterrent available. It's not about trying to make easy money. It's about trying to effect change, one small step at a time.

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast