Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SBR Q?

(Centre County)

Question SBR Q?

For those that have gone the SBR AR route I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone tried to register it in Multi cal. similar to the HK sear packs that are 9/223/308?

2) When doing the paperwork did you have to write out everything? ex .22/9mm/.223 if you wanted to have either of those 3 upper cal's on the reciver?

3) If the ATF accept's this would they also accept "multi" written in that space instead?

4) would it be nessessary to have all cal's engraved on the reciver if it's approved as written in the example given in #2 or could it be engraved "multi" or does it have to be changed from its original designation?

Thanks in advance! I would like to have the reciver run dual roles in 9mm and 223 but if they wont accept it registered in more than one cal it looks like I'm SOL and need to build up a second SBR reciver (which I will do as some point anyways).

thanks again
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

Default Re: SBR Q?

It's my understanding that lately BATFE wants the accurate description and the words "multi" (for caliber) and "various" (for length) get forms kicked back. I just stuck with the single caliber and single length and the form went through in less than a month. I believe you can send the BATFE a letter requesting a change in the description. I believe JayBell recently stated that if its not a permanent change, you don't need to do anything. Maybe he can chime in.

If timing is not an issue, try the 9mm/5.56mm in the caliber description and see if it gets kicked back. It may be a useful experiment for others that are in the same boat as you.

AR15.com has an NFA section that really hammers questions like that. You might be able to find the answer there too.

(Adams County)

IIRC what I read on another site, you get it approved for one caliber and one length. Then fill out another form to ammend/add to the registration to add possible other lengths. The site was talking about a short barrelled shotgun, so changing calibers was not discussed.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    For those that have gone the SBR AR route I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone tried to register it in Multi cal. similar to the HK sear packs that are 9/223/308? yes, fill in all the cal.'s you want

2) When doing the paperwork did you have to write out everything? ex .22/9mm/.223 if you wanted to have either of those 3 upper cal's on the reciver? yes

3) If the ATF accept's this would they also accept "multi" written in that space instead? no, not accepted

4) would it be nessessary to have all cal's engraved on the reciver if it's approved as written in the example given in #2 or could it be engraved "multi" or does it have to be changed from its original designation?as far as i know, not all cal.'s need to be engraved

Thanks in advance! I would like to have the reciver run dual roles in 9mm and 223 but if they wont accept it registered in more than one cal it looks like I'm SOL and need to build up a second SBR reciver (which I will do as some point anyways).as said above you can use any cal. even if you change your mind later. if you are going to make a permanant change that is different from the paperwork you should send a letter to the atf telling them of the change

thanks againyour welcome
    Josh

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Centre County)

Thanks guys. I feel confident that when I send in the form 1 that everything should go smooth nw.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]