Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD-40 questions

(Westmoreland County)

Default XD-40 questions

Hey guys, I have a few questions about my XD that I can't seem to Google up answers for.

First of all, where can I find the year it was made? I read about a coating on pre-2006 models that wore too quickly and caused rust. If that's the case, I want to take the necessary steps to keep it in prime condition.

Secondly, I'm a noob and still haven't gotten to fire my gun yet So that's the groundwork for my next question. I was loadng a magazine and it seems awfully hard to load. Maybe I'm being a pussy because I don't want bullets going off in my face. Are new mags difficult to load? Is there a chance I could cause a round to fire while loading? I would prefer to avoid that, if possible.

I guess that's it for now. Any advice would be grateful regarding the questions above or otherwise. Thank you for your time.

XD-40
    14 rd mags
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Beaver County)

Cartridges won't go off from loading them in a magazine. Yes, magazines (especially large capacity ones) can be hard to load. There are bunches of gadgets out there to ease magazine loading. I use one with my Makarov.

(Bucks County)

The trick for loading hicap mags is hard to describe without a picture, but here goes. If you're right handed: you hold the mag in the LH, with left thumb floating above the top of the mag. Right thumb on top of round to be inserted, with round lengthwise under thumb ('in line" with thumb, but under it). As round gets under feed lips, use left thumb to push down on rim of round case. Thus, right thumb applies uniform pressure along length of round and left thumb pushes down on rim.

Confused?

(Northumberland County)

XD 12 round .40 mags are VERY hard to load the last couple of rounds, almost seems like they won't go, but they will with the proper amount of force applied to the top round.

As for rusting, I don't know about the new ones, but my 03 model was VERY rust prone, and this isn't good with a carry gun, I'd have to wipe it down every time I carried it for any length of time. One of the reasons I traded it in...

(Cumberland County)

Default same with the XD-9 mags

XD mags are very difficult to load, especially the extended mag. I have an XD-9 and shoot it a few times a week, and I STILL have trouble with loading those last few rounds.

(Westmoreland County)

OK, I thought I was just a pussy. Thanks alot for the input guys.

/You *sure* a round wouldn't expire from handling?
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Northumberland County)

not unless that handling include a hammer and a pin to whack the primer...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    The trick for loading hicap mags is hard to describe without a picture, but here goes. If you're right handed: you hold the mag in the LH, with left thumb floating above the top of the mag. Right thumb on top of round to be inserted, with round lengthwise under thumb ('in line" with thumb, but under it). As round gets under feed lips, use left thumb to push down on rim of round case. Thus, right thumb applies uniform pressure along length of round and left thumb pushes down on rim.

Confused?
    As good a description as any I've heard. I'll add this; it helps to hold the round to be loaded not only inline with the thumb, but with the index finger curled underneath. Then you can help the left thumb depress the top round in the mag by tilting the new round up slightly as you slide it back past the feed lips.

Even if you buy a loader, practice handloading your magazines once in a while. If you have to use your weapon you might want to reload or top up a mag in the field and you won't always have the loader.
    John: How come I'm not afraid?
    D'Argo: Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
    John: I love hanging with you, man.

I wouldn't worry about the rust issue...send it to tripp research and have it hard chromed.

As far as the mag...find a mag loader for it...load it to the max and leave the ammo in there fore 3-4 weeks...the springs should compress enough in that time period to make loading easier for you in the future.

Default Re: XD-40 questions

I have an XD 45 and the last 2 or 3 shell are hard to load so I ordered a mag loader, it maid life easer and the cost isn't much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast