Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Death Of An Old Friend

The Death of "Common Sense" by Lori Borgman

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, “Common Sense”, who has been with us for many years. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Life isn’t always fair; and Maybe it was my fault.

His health began to deteriorate when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. A 6 -year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

“Common Sense” lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they had failed to do in disciplining their children. It declined further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a band-aid; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

“Common Sense” lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

“Common Sense” took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

“Common Sense” lost the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, spilled a little in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement. “Common Sense” was preceded in death by his parents, “Truth” and “Trust”; his wife, “Discretion”; his daughter, “Responsibility”; and his son, “Reason”.

He is survived by his 3 stepbrothers; “I Know My Rights”, “Someone Else Is To Blame”, and “I’m A Victim”.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Death Of An Old Friend

"common sense" tells me im sorry I opened this thread.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    The Death of "Common Sense" by Lori Borgman

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, “Common Sense”, who has been with us for many years. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Life isn’t always fair; and Maybe it was my fault.

His health began to deteriorate when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. A 6 -year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

“Common Sense” lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they had failed to do in disciplining their children. It declined further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a band-aid; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

“Common Sense” lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

“Common Sense” took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

“Common Sense” lost the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, spilled a little in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement. “Common Sense” was preceded in death by his parents, “Truth” and “Trust”; his wife, “Discretion”; his daughter, “Responsibility”; and his son, “Reason”.

He is survived by his 3 stepbrothers; “I Know My Rights”, “Someone Else Is To Blame”, and “I’m A Victim”.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.
    This is all too true. We've become a nation of "victims"; there are those who feel they deserve something for nothing because they think they've been dealt a lousy hand, those who can't own up to their own shortcomings and responsibilities and want somebody else to pay their way, those who try to fight every little inconvenience or perceived slight with a lawsuit...the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhunk View Post
    Dr. Troll strikes again!
    "I really have the American dream licked." -- Ted Nugent

(Luzerne County)

I think the comedian Ron White summed it up best....

Science is amazing, we can transplant organs, re-attach severed limbs but ya CANT FIX STUPID............

(Allegheny County)

i dunno. i've known too many people whose version of "common sense" includes things like AWBs and other restrictions on liberty. to me, "common sense" is often just a code word for tyranny of the masses. i wish it really were dead.

personally, i'd think our real problem is the death of individual responsibility (and, thus, individual liberty).
    F*S=k

(Luzerne County)

Declaring something to be “common sense” is usually the first indicator that it isn’t actually all that common.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhunk View Post
    LMAO YOURE AWESOME lawlawlawl. +rep to the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i dunno. i've known too many people whose version of "common sense" includes things like AWBs and other restrictions on liberty. to me, "common sense" is often just a code word for tyranny of the masses. i wish it really were dead.

personally, i'd think our real problem is the death of individual responsibility (and, thus, individual liberty).
    Totally agree... All the gun laws we have now actually stemmed from "common sense."

"Commonsense" has given us the following:
    1) the 1994 assault weapons ban
    2) prohibition of carry in national parks
    3) the foundation of the brady campaign to prevent gun violence... (they want commonsense gun laws)
    4) prohibition of carrying a firearm into a federal building
    5) prohibition of carrying a firearm into a post office.

Just saying, there's no equating commonsense with freedom.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Totally agree... All the gun laws we have now actually stemmed from "common sense."

"Commonsense" has given us the following:
    1) the 1994 assault weapons ban
    2) prohibition of carry in national parks
    3) the foundation of the brady campaign to prevent gun violence... (they want commonsense gun laws)
    4) prohibition of carrying a firearm into a federal building
    5) prohibition of carrying a firearm into a post office.

Just saying, there's no equating commonsense with freedom.
    Unless you consider this little pamphlet written some 240 years ago. I mean that had something to do with common sense. I think what has happened is the term common sense has been hijacked to be what some people wish were common sense. If the polls are to be believed common sense says restrictions of firearms is counter productive.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Unless you consider this little pamphlet written some 240 years ago. I mean that had something to do with common sense. I think what has happened is the term common sense has been hijacked to be what some people wish were common sense. If the polls are to be believed common sense says restrictions of firearms is counter productive.
    I'm surprised you're the first one to mention Paine. I'd rep you if the powers that be would allow it.
    "I really have the American dream licked." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast