Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default "Concealed" weapons permits jump here

This is from the Lancaster news paper. Concealed Weapons permit? WTF is that?

Concealed weapons permits jump here
    Sunday News
    Published: Jun 14, 2009
    00:15 EST

By PAULA WOLF, Staff Writer
    While local gun sellers and consumers are feeling the nationwide ammunition shortage, the Lancaster County Sheriff's Department has noticed something, too.

Starting in November of last year, applications for concealed weapons permits jumped markedly, Chief Deputy Sheriff Mark Reese said.

"We saw a huge increase," he said.

Typically, the department might receive 15 applications a day, Reese said, but more recently the total would be as high as 30.

The numbers have "slacked off" lately, he said, but this is still a trend being seen throughout the country.

In Missouri, for example, the number of background checks for concealed weapon permit applicants is on pace to smash last's year record, according to a June 1 article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

And in North Dakota, 12,272 concealed weapons permits were issued in the first five months of 2009, compared to 9,470 during the same period last year, the Bismarck Tribune reported at the end of May.

Reese wouldn't speculate on why this is happening, but others attribute the skyrocketing numbers to some of the same reasons gun sales are said to be booming: fear that the Obama administration will tighten gun control laws, and worries that tough economic conditions will increase crime.

Applicants for a concealed weapon permit must be age 21, Reese said. After submitting a form to the Sheriff's Department, they are subject to a background check by the Pennsylvania Instant Check System, conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police.

It usually takes 1½ to two weeks for an applicant to get approval, but because of a backlog of requests for background checks, the wait had gotten as long as five weeks, he said.

There are a number of criminal convictions that prohibit a person from owning a firearm, but Reese said the percentage of local applicants who are denied a concealed weapon permit is actually quite small.

About 22,000 county residents currently possess a concealed weapon permit, he said.

And although that total may strike the general public as "kind of scary," Reese said, it's somewhat misleading.

He said most of those people don't carry guns, and may not even own one. For some, Reese said, applying for a permit is a way to exercise their rights.

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/238827
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; June 15th, 2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added link.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: "Concealed" weapons permits jump here

a long time ago there was a link posted that had the LTCF info for each county. I'd like to see that information to see how many PA residents have one.

As far as the "many people who have a LTCF don't own a weapon" I've ran into 6 or 7 people in the last month where that was the case. Most had it with the intention of buying. Some had families who were against it and they were trying to get them accustomed to the idea and one guy said "I'll have it in case I ever feel the need to use it" I thought to myself ... it would probably be too late then...

Interesting article

At least on the sheriff's website they get the name almost correct and call it a
    "License to Carry Firearm Permit"

The Firearms Unit processes applications for License to Carry Firearm Permit and applications for License to Sell Firearms for gun dealers.

An applicant for a License to Carry Permit must be at least 21 years of age and reside in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania or currently posses a valid permit in another state. Proof of age and residency must be furnished when the application is submitted. A post office box, will NOT be accepted as a legal residence.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    At least on the sheriff's website they get the name almost correct and call it a
    must work for the depart of redundancy department unit

(Jefferson County)

What does it matter what they call it? So long as the provisions in the law for the license grant exemption from the prohibited offenses, they can call it a Permit To Blow Bubbles Out Your Ass.

Thats it, I'm gonna start referring to the LTCF as PTBBOYA from now on.

(Montgomery County)

While I applaud so many citizens (hopefully considering the governments track record) obtaining their PA LTCF, I can't help but feel anxious that this is increasing the likelyhood that someone with a LCTF is going to do something stupid, and as a reaction, the LCTF will become next to unobtainable.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    a long time ago there was a link posted that had the LTCF info for each county. I'd like to see that information to see how many PA residents have one.
    2003-7 statistics here

Back then there were 594,636 LTCF. Of course there are many more now. Will update when census data/PSP data correlated for 2008.
    IANAL

(Indiana County)

"And although that total may strike the general public as "kind of scary," Reese said, it's somewhat misleading."

Not as scary as a drunk-with-power, expansionist government and an unarmed populace.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    must work for the depart of redundancy department unit
    heh, yeah- that or they are just issuing licenses for firearm permits. It is a two-step process:-)

(Lancaster County)

Stupid people....
    (The Unknown @ Jun 15 2009, 01:26 AM) *The article is wrong, there is NO Concealed Weapons Permit in PA. It's called License To Carry Firearms, PA is an Open Carry state,
    you can open carry your pistol anywhere...
    As I do everyday.
    CORRECT ANSWER.

[quote name='grieker' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:04 PM' post='573988']
    As I do everyday.

No you can't, legally.

If you don't know that, you shouldn't carry, concealed or other wise.
    [/quote]
    -WRONG answer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast