Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Firearm Dealer--LEO---Attorney Help Pls.

Last year I purchased a Beretta 21a from a local dealer and have all the paperwork. I know that when purchased the Pa State Police enter the firearm info and tie it to a purchaser.

The pistol is less than reliable and I really do not care to "unload it" in a sale to anyone including a dealer for resale. Simply, I just want to get rid of the thing and at the same time be certain that the State Police database is updated to show I no longer own or posess the firearm.

The problem: The Sheriffs Department will not take it for disposal, I tried. My understanding is I might be able to pay a dealer to dispose of it but from my contact with 1 dealer all I would get is a receipt from the dealer and the dealer will make a book entry as to the fact it was "disposed". However, the dealer said there is no form that goes to the State Police. If I "dispose" of it this way my fear is that it will lay around with the dealer and could be stolen and bingo...the State dataebase shows me as the last owner....cops on the doorstep.

It seems the only way the State database would be changed is when a dealer acquires and resells to an individual.

Also, my concern is with these gun turn in programs not being an option. In the news today it was reported a police department that had guns seized as evidence and also turned in were resold and some later ended up as unrecorded and were used in a gun crime.

So, my question: Does any dealer, LEO, or attorney know a 100% way to dispose of a firearm and be 100% certain a paper trail will be going to the State Police showing I no longer own or posess it?

Many thanks in advance. John

(York County)

Default Re: Firearm Dealer--LEO---Attorney Help Pls.

Boy, you're sure going through a lot of trouble!

You say the gun is unreliable. Are you sure? It may be an ammo or magazine problem. Have you returned it to the dealer you bought it from for examination/repair. Have you considered returning it to Beretta for repair?
    Have you considered selling it back to the dealer for a minimal sum (a dollar)?

I'd cut the gun up if it's that important to you. Keep the pieces (or at least the piece showing the serial number). That way, you'll be sure it could not be used in a crime.

Or, just toss it in the back of the safe and forget about it...

(Chester County)

If you really want to rid yourself of it, just call around to a bunch of PDs and you'll find one willing to take it.

But like Roy said, it's probably easier just to throw it in the safe and forget about it or to cut it up, melt it down, etc.

There isn't a way to make sure the particular database is updated -- it's a sales database, not a registry (so they say). You can't "make" them update it through reason, you can only take actions that make it clear that you don't own the gun anymore.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Lebanon County)

I bought an unreliable gun once. It was a Bryco/Jennings 9mm. (Everyone who knows better, please forgive me, I know better now).
    I didn't want to sell the gun outright and I didn't want to be stuck with it. I went back to the dealer I bought it from and sold it back to him for a bit less than half of what I paid for it. I learned a lesson (about cheap guns) and was comfortable in knowing that it was no longer in my possession and there was paperwork to prove it. I only lost about $40.00 in the deal but I figure it was cheap rent for a toy and/or an inexpensive education. Either way, it's out of my hands and I'm satisfied.

(Philadelphia County)

From what I understand you don't seem to have any interest in even recouping any money on it. If that's the case just find someone who wants it and transfer it to them (legally) through an FFL. At that point PICS will be updated to have shown that the new owner got it. If you're going to pretty much throw it away, I'm sure there's someone out there who wouldn't mind a free gun.

If I am mis-understanding the situation, I apologize in advance.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    From what I understand you don't seem to have any interest in even recouping any money on it. If that's the case just find someone who wants it and transfer it to them (legally) through an FFL. At that point PICS will be updated to have shown that the new owner got it. If you're going to pretty much throw it away, I'm sure there's someone out there who wouldn't mind a free gun.

If I am mis-understanding the situation, I apologize in advance.
    x2. Surely even a "broken" gun might be worth a few bucks to someone -- even if it's something minimal like, say, $10.00. Then it's just a matter of having the FFL make the transfer and problem solved, no?

Hells, if you want to sell it for $10.00, I'll take it!

(Westmoreland County)

Is it possible to submit a FOIA request to the PSP about the extent of their database, etc?
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

I'll take it!

(Monroe County)

When we get a customer in that has a gun they want destroyed we will.

1. Run the serial number to make sure the gun isn't stolen and is registered to them.

2. Pay them for the PARTS and have them Hang out for a few minutes

3. Take the gun in the back and tear it down to the bare frame.

4. Cut the frame into 8 piece's

5. Hand them the small piece with the serial number on it for them to confirm the gun is GONE and do with that part Whatever they wish.

Rich W.

Or you can send it to one of these guys for proper disposal, he he heh

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ari%26rls%3Den

I myself have a crappy rifle that I tried to get rid off. I stripped off everything on it and all I have now is the receiver. I poured acid on it, ran over with car, threw it into the fire.......no dice. The thing is like the undead! and it refuses to quit, he he he.....anyone got a blow torch I can borrow?

1FingrCHan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast