Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Glock 19 Ammo

(Lehigh County)

Default Glock 19 Ammo

Hello all! First post on the thread! I've visited this site many times and it has answered many questions, so I thought I'd register

I just purchased (well almost purchased) my first handgun, a Glock 19. I've shot the gun several times and absolutely love its dynamic. My question is what 9mm ammunition do you recommend most?

I've heard everything under the sun and I'm looking for some opinions of some more experienced shooters.

Thanks!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Glock 19 Ammo

It's a Glock. It'll eat whatever you feed it.

Some ammo is dirtier than others - I find the Winchester White Box stuff to be the dirtiest, blacking out the front sight after about 100 rounds.

For defensive ammo, everyone has their own opinion. I've carried Hydra Shok, Corbon, and recently the Hornady Critical Defense.

Good luck with the new Glock.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Allegheny County)

Well congrats on the new Glock 19.
    Shoot Jacketed ammo through your pistol. I have herd to not shoot lead round nosed bullets through the pistol because the rifling pattern in the barrel can (quickly) build up enough lead residue to cause dangerous pressure levels in the barrel/chamber. But as for brand on plinking ammo.... It should eat whatever...
    I have the CorBon jacketed hollow points for SD rounds.
    For regular range trips I am shooting whatever I can find.... I have shot plenty of WWB... Yea its dirty but it is also cheap so little elbow grease fixes the dirty problem...
    Good luck
    -A
    Oh yea welcome to the forum...
    Last edited by Autonomous; June 13th, 2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: forgot the damn welcoming....
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    Some ammo is dirtier than others - I find the Winchester White Box stuff to be the dirtiest, blacking out the front sight after about 100 rounds.
    Huh. Never happened to my G19.

WWB is dirty, dirty cheap Before I started carrying the G19 I used to put 500 rounds of WWB through it without cleaning it. Cleans up just fine.

Congratulations on the purchase! Glocks are very, very liberal eaters. They'll eat just about any kind of ammo you throw at them. Having said that, I tend to feed my Glocks a steady diet of good quality ammo. I don't shoot the Walmart Ammo (WWB -- Winchester White Box), because I find it too dirty for my likes. Many people shoot WWB and have no problem with it. I usually shoot American Eagle or Speer Lawman. It's cleaner, which makes cleaning the Glock at the end of the range trip a much less arduous task.

For defensive use, there are many good choices. I presently carry Federal Tactical (EFMJ), but have carried Speer Gold Dot (HP) in the past.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the responses! I def. am aware that the Glock will eat anything I feed it I should have clarified that I'm looking for SD rounds. I have heard of HydraShok and some of the others.

Def. great ideas to try out and see what I like best!

(Northampton County)

For SD the Federal HSTs have the best gel test results but they can be hard to find. Gold Dots are pretty good and pretty popular. HydraShok is an old design and doesn't expand as reliably as the newer stuff. But ammo selection only provides a very small edge next to the much more important issues such as tactics and shooting skills. And luck

(Allegheny County)

we had the corbon people out at a group shoot last year, they brought ballistics gel so everyone could try out their carry ammo and see what it would do. browse the thread and see their reviews.

http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...tml#post360410