Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SKS VS AK?

(Berks County)

Default SKS VS AK?

I am a hand gun guy looking to get into some rifles. I was just a the Reading gun show and saw lots of AK and SKS rifles for cheap. Some were still coated in cosmoline.

My question is this: For general target shooting, is one better than the other? I shot an AK on full auto in the army for familiarization, but could not spend enough time with it to form an opinion on the weapon.

Also, has anyone out there shot either of these left handed? I have a lot of experience with a M16A1s and those things always threw hot brass in my face or down my shirt when I didn't have a brass deflector installed. I don't want another rifle that does the same thing.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SKS VS AK?

Depends on what you mean by "general target shooting"...
    If you want to blast away, go with th AK.
    If you don't need the "cool" look of a 30 rd. magazine, go with the SKS. (stripper clips allow for pretty fast reloads anyway)
    As I understand it, the SKS is slightly more accurate, but even still, only practical out to 100-150 yards.

I have a Yugo SKS and I really like the thing. I would like to get an AK, but that has to wait.
    They're both great firearms and you can't go wrong with either. The SKS is an incredible value in my opinion. Just depends on your preference and shooting style.

Oh, and that left handed condition you suffer from can be corrected with shock therapy as I understand it. I mean, really now, why would God make left handed people when firearms are designed for the "right" hand? Seek therapy... soon!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "general target shooting"...
    Just having fun making holes in paper. I don't need it to look "cool", I just want a cheap rifle that stands half a chance of hitting the center of the target if I do my job right.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Oh, and that left handed condition you suffer from can be corrected with shock therapy as I understand it. I mean, really now, why would God make left handed people when firearms are designed for the "right" hand? Seek therapy... soon!
    You sound like a platoon sargent I one had. My first day in his platoon he looked at my size and said "Looky here, we got us a new M60 gunner!" It's not very practical to shoot the M60 left handed so I declined his offer. He said "Shit! I don't expect you to shoot the damn thing; I just need someone big enough to carry it for 25 miles without passing out."

(Allegheny County)

Why choose? GET BOTH!
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

I prefer the AK I have shot both. I just plain have more fun shooting the AK-47.

(Luzerne County)

SKS= About $100 cheaper, slightly more accurate, just as reliable, a little less aftermarket goodies.

AK= More expensive, more "military" looking, crazy amount of aftermarket goodies, more FUN of the two (IMO).....especially with drums.

As was mentioned....you REALLY should have both.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: SKS VS AK?

SKS=$150.00 on debit mastercard

AK-47=$300.00-600.00 on debit mastercard

7.62x39 ammo $16.00 per 100 on debit mastercard

Buying black rifles that make the gov't shudder = PRICELESS!!!

I agree buy both!!!

(Washington County)

I have no problem shooting either of them left handed. It's been my experience that com-bloc guns tend to eject the brass REALLY far. Both of them have a short length of pull, but with the AK's pistol grip that's not as much of an issue.

For punching holes in paper on the cheap, I'd have to say go with an SKS. The 10 round mag will also help you limit how much (increasingly expensive) ammo you burn through. Also, the Yugo SKS with grenade launcher can be used for launching dummy grenades and such.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Why choose? GET BOTH!
    you're right.......

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    I have no problem shooting either of them left handed. It's been my experience that com-bloc guns tend to eject the brass REALLY far. Both of them have a short length of pull, but with the AK's pistol grip that's not as much of an issue.

For punching holes in paper on the cheap, I'd have to say go with an SKS. The 10 round mag will also help you limit how much (increasingly expensive) ammo you burn through. Also, the Yugo SKS with grenade launcher can be used for launching dummy grenades and such.

Vince
    Vince, you're so modest...

SSCUSTER,
    Go to the site linked in bloomautomatic's sig line to see a REALLY cool reason to buy a Yugo SKS!!!

FORE!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast