Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default MARK III Trigger

I never thought it was possible to fall in love with a gun, but alas the Ruger MIII Hunter has proven me wrong!!!!! I would like to change out the trigger mechanism. Any thoughts on the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit?
    "Old Age and Treachery Shall Overcome Youth and Skill!"

(Chester County)

Default Re: MARK III Trigger

Do it... You won't be disappointed. I have a VQ target trigger in my MKIII 22/45. My uncle stoned the hammer and sear for me as well.

It went from a 4.5 pound trigger pull to just over 2 pounds.

I also have several VQ parts in my 10/22 as well.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Thanks for the input. The only concern I had was reading about the possible effects of a lighter hammer fall. I called Volquartsen and they indicated that they haven't had any complaints about failing to fire due to a lightened hammer fall associated with their accurizing kit.

(Berks County)

I installed the VQ accurizing kit in my mark iii last month, I'm very happy with the results, I would definitely do it again. I havent had any problems with the lighter hammer, works great for me.

(Adams County)

About 80% of the improvement comes from changing to the VQ sear. Takes the trigger down to about 2-1/2#. The VQ trigger has an over travel adjustment, and if you do a search, you can find how to add a pre-travel adjustment. It involves drilling & tapping for a 4-40 allen screw to prevent the trigger from returning all the way forward.

Thumbs up Re: MARK III Trigger

Thanks for 411, I ordered the kit today. I also installed a "TRUGLO" red/green dot scope on it. For $59.00 it really does a good job, has about twice the target acqusition sighting than the Walther red dot..

The VQ hammer has been reported as a source of light strikes, since the hammer is lighter than the OEM. I've had one in a MKIII Hunter for about 3 years and no light strikes. My other 3 conversions have been just the trigger and the sear.

This link is very helpful in the process http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

The kit comes with the VQ sear spring for the steel models, you will have to use your OEM 22/45 spring.

I use blue Loctite on the trigger adjustment screws. Without it, the screws tend to move. The upper (pretravel) screw always seems to move in, resulting in overadjustment with the sear not resetting.

I keep my original parts in a plastic bag. If the pistol ever goes back to Ruger and has the VQ parts, it will be returned with OEM parts.