Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wink Easy and Cheap live fire carry practice.

I've been doing this for a few weeks with various guns.

Get yourself a cheap candle or Beeswax and heat it up in a Pan you wont be using anytime soon. Let it cool down to almost hard.

INsert your already Decapped/resized casing, max depth about 1/2"
    let it cool off and Prime. Priming must be done LAST so air from cooling can escape.

If you live somewhere where noise of a cap gun is OK you should be fine.

Wear Eye protection, wax doenst descriminate.

at a distance of 8 Feet.
    I went through single and double targets in my Danger room. I practiced several Scenarios with my 642-2. on rapid fire I find I hit in a string pattern that goes to the left vertically.

Give it a try, It GIves you an option of things you can't try at a range with live ammo.

This is preferably for Wheelguns.

I staple my silhouetes to the wall in this room BUT lowes sells 2'x3' 3/8" boards that fit the targets perfectly .

With a Semi you'll need to fit the first round in cause it'll feed like a empty, BUT it's always nice to know where your first shot will land.

Noise didnt even bother the cat. Besides the smell (lit match smell) It's an easy, Cheap and simple practice that may save your or others lives someday.

Bon a petit .
    Last edited by Stooperzero; June 9th, 2009 at 07:00 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Easy and Cheap live fire carry practice.

I was at a cowboy shoot where they were shooting red wax at steel plates at about 25 feet. They were hitting hard enough to knock them over.
    If you are gong through Hell, keep going.--Winston Churchill

You'd be suprised at the difference in pressure from small to large primers.

(Franklin County)

Not worried about the chemicals? I was told at a firearms show (like the SHOT show) by a guy at CCI that the chemicals found in ammunition are horrendous. He recommended rubber gloves for cleaning and reloading. Said to wash hands as soon as possible after handling ammo. Just wouldnt think I would be shooting stuff off my house.

(Lehigh County)

I am fairly certain this would put me in divorce court... My wife already hates the Army and me by proxy right now. If I spent what little time I am home, doin this, well lets just say would be the proverbial straw.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfarmboy View Post
    Not worried about the chemicals? I was told at a firearms show (like the SHOT show) by a guy at CCI that the chemicals found in ammunition are horrendous. He recommended rubber gloves for cleaning and reloading. Said to wash hands as soon as possible after handling ammo. Just wouldnt think I would be shooting stuff off my house.
    THAT might have been just another case of "CYA" instructions, dontcha think?

Now I DO clean my hands with GOJO and wash up well after casting, as it is a dirty business, and after a session in the reloading cave, my hands are not so clean either. . . . .but rubber gloves? That might be overkill.

And after shooting in an indoor range, I wash my hands and arms. But. . . .

Food for thought, though, isn't it?

Flash

(Adams County)

Fingers80002 and I were discussing doing this one day at the club. We weren't sure what kind of wax to use.

Although we weren't talking about using hot wax, just using the primed brass like a cookie cutter to extract a chunk.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Adams County)

Cool Re: Easy and Cheap live fire carry practice.

I hate to admit this but......about 1/2 century ago (as a youngster), we would pull the lead bullet off a .22 shot & then do the wax thing. Our next step was to shot the wax at each other! I got pretty good at shooting my .22 rifle with one hand while holding a metal garbage can lid as a shield & wearing a football helmet!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Fingers80002 and I were discussing doing this one day at the club. We weren't sure what kind of wax to use.

Although we weren't talking about using hot wax, just using the primed brass like a cookie cutter to extract a chunk.
    Wow WAX discussion on a gun forum who would have thunk it! Maybe i can contribute something FINALLY!

Your best bet would be to stick with a harder pillar wax ( melt point about 160 degrees f, of course you can add additives to bring it up higher. The container candles are of a much softer wax.

You would want to get a wax that has a high melt point. If you wanted to make them in larger quantities you could make a mold out of neoprene ( sounds expensive but its not) Meaning you could take a bullet any shape and pour your liquid neoprene onto it and get an exact replica mold.

They even make wax remover that is designed to remove wax from other items.

If you are heating wax on the stove BE CAREFUL!!!! wax will ignite at 365 degrees f. Never leave it unattended. The SAFEST way to heat it is a double boiler method. You can use a thermometer to keep track of the temp try to go no higher than 200 degrees f.

Hope I dont sound like a tard but I have alot of experience working with candle wax ;-) Won't go into detail as to why but not THAT way!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
    I hate to admit this but......about 1/2 century ago (as a youngster), we would pull the lead bullet off a .22 shot & then do the wax thing. Our next step was to shot the wax at each other! I got pretty good at shooting my .22 rifle with one hand while holding a metal garbage can lid as a shield & wearing a football helmet!
    That's hilarious!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast