Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Identification and a kooky FFL dealer.

Had an interesting saga occur on Saturday and am in need of some guidance from the seasoned here.

Went to pick up my Glock .40 that was sent here from Nevada. After answering all the INVASIVE questions etc., the dealer asked for Government issued ID, I handed him my passport and the dude FLIPPED!

When he called the N.I.C system the lady on the other end told the dealer that I MUST have a PA issued ID, huh, um a passport? Duh...

A passport should be sufficient, right?

Have a brain teaser for the real Americans on this forum:
    Is it lawful for an FFL dealer or the state police for that matter, to deny the transfer of a firearm to an American Man/Woman domiciled on Pennsylvania soil who has no address (homeless) but has Government issued ID like say, a passport?

Itching to see the responses to this one.

Thanks, my fellow Americans.
    Last edited by FreeorDie; May 20th, 2007 at 11:02 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Identification and a kooky FFL dealer.

I was in the county sherrifs office in allegheny county and a women was filling out the paperwork for a carry license and when she gave the two forms of id requested, one was a pa drivers license and one was a passport. they would not take the photo passport, but did except a non photo "voter,s card" DUH!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Identification and a kooky FFL dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeorDie View Post
    Had an interesting saga occur on Saturday and am in need of some guidance from the seasoned here.

Went to pick up my Glock .40 that was sent here from Nevada. After answering all the INVASIVE questions etc., the dealer asked for Government issued ID, I handed him my passport and the dude FLIPPED!

When he called the N.I.C system the lady on the other end told the dealer that I MUST have a PA issued ID, huh, um a passport? Duh...

A passport should be sufficient, right?

Have a brain teaser for the real Americans on this forum:
    Is it lawful for an FFL dealer or the state police for that matter, to deny the transfer of a firearm to an American Man/Woman domiciled on Pennsylvania soil who has no address (homeless) but has Government issued ID like say, a passport?

Itching to see the responses to this one.

Thanks, my fellow Americans.

First, let me welcome you to the site.

I'm not sure but believe you must show residence in Pa to buy,accept a handgun from a Pa. FFL.

The passport,although pictured,does not indicate current residence in a specific state (i'm going on MY passport which is 50 years outdated).

I'm willing to bet that a "homeless" person cannot legally buy a handgun due to this reason.

I have no legal background and didn't do the research on this. Have you done a search on any other site (packing.org) ? When I have more time,I'll look up another site I'm sure was referenced on this forum.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(York County)

Yep, you must live somewhere as a legal address. I don't think a post office box would work either.
    Otherwise, you could be a transient. Do you have a home in PA? A driver's license?

If not, the FFL would be at risk....for all he knows, you could be a straw purchaser.

Do you actually live in PA?
    Last edited by RoyJackson; May 20th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.

(Beaver County)

Yea, you need a valid address in PA to purchase in PA. I use pa drivers lic. and vehicle registration for my two forms of ID.

(Luzerne County)

The ATF gives FFL holders the right to deny selling a gun to anyone if they feel anything is suspicous (STRAW, Fake ID etc).

It is a bit strange to pop into a gun store (in PA) and present a Passport instead of a DL or State issued ID.....I would be suspicous too.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

Passport NO, it is good as a secondary piece of ID, but as stated above you need to prove RESIDENCE in PA to buy a handgun.

If your waiting for your DL to come you can get a state ID, or bring some bills / bank statements with your name and address along with your passport to prove residence.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Centre County)

The PICS form (I have one right in front of me) shows: Blk 23: PA Photo Ident/Driver License #, so one or the other is good. Also, at the bottom it states, and you must sign "I verify the facts that I have set forth in Blocks 5-30 of this form are true and correct to the best of my knowledge...". Blocks 19-22 are address blocks.

The ATF Form 4473 Block 2 is: Current Residence Address (Cannot be a post office box). It also has the section you sign saying "I certify the that the answers in Section A are true..."

If these are not filled out and match the ID or other paperwork proving where you live, I, as and FFL would not sell or transfer you a firearm. And I am in my right to do so. My butt and business is on the line and I'm not going to jepordize either.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

so nice to be an American treated like we are in Nazi Germany (papers please)...

So, the SSN is a must then?

Lastly, a passport and a lease is ok then?

YES, I am an American and domiciled in Pennsylvania. I do not own a house or anything for that matter and no utilities in my name.

I compare these draconian rules to the 2nd amendment and am trying to see how this washes.

Which of the following regulations of firearms is constitutional?:
    (1) an age restriction,
    (2) a four-day waiting period for purchase of a firearm,
    (3) a ban on the carrying of concealed weapons.
    Last edited by FreeorDie; May 20th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

"Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
    -- Patrick Henry

Ron Paul for President 2008!!
    www.ronpaul2008.com

Quote Originally Posted by FreeorDie View Post
    so nice to be an American treated like we are in Nazi Germany (papers please)...

So, the SSN is a must then?

Lastly, a passport and a lease is ok then?

YES, I am an American and domiciled in Pennsylvania. I do not own a house or anything for that matter and no utilities in my name.

I compare these draconian rules to the 2nd amendment and am trying to see how this washes.

Which of the following regulations of firearms is constitutional?:
    (1) an age restriction,
    (2) a four-day waiting period for purchase of a firearm,
    (3) a ban on the carrying of concealed weapons.

You cannot purchase a handgun in any state without proving residency in that state. In Pa you must have a state issued Id. A county id can be obtained easily and cheaply. I don't understand how you can say you have nothing in your name and expect t be able to purchase a firearm. Is this your first handgun purchase? I can’t see how you expect to sachet in and purchase a gun with no form of id other then a passport. Are you hiding from something? If I was the ffl I would have turned you down too. These are not draconian laws. If you want to hide from the government be my guest, but you can’t have it both ways.

In response to your itemized query
    1. What age would you allow the purchase of any firearm?
    2. I don't know what you are talking about
    3. Pa and 35 other states are shall issue
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast