Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: scopes...

(Chester County)

Default scopes...

After an hour of searching for information about scopes for my new AR I think I've finally given up.

I use a 3-9x40 on my 30-06 for deer hunting because it was recommended to me.

I can honestly say I haven't a clue as to what to look for in a scope.

I want to throw a scope on my AR for long distance shooting.

Can anyone tell me where to start... like what the different measurements mean when looking at different scopes EX: 3.... 9..... x40....means what? When it comes to 3-9x40?

I am assuming x40 is width in mm at the front of the scope?

And can anyone shed some light on to look for in "zoom power" I guess you could say.

Maybe what to look for in a scope to be able to adjust for different lengths?

adjust from a target at 50yds to one maybe 700+ yds without only adjusting by aiming a couple inches higher?

Another big question is...

Can anyone tell me what scope will fit on a standard A4 without a riser?

If it's too much to answer could anyone throw some links my way?

Thanks alot,

Gomer
    FU BHO.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: scopes...

The 3-9x40 is just that.... adjusts from 3 power to 9 power.. and you are correct.. the 40 is the mm of the scope....

Therefore a 4-10x40 is from 4 power to 10 power.. etc...etc...

As far as using the same scope to shoot 50 to 700 yards... not possible unless you are willing to spend big bucks..... the sniper type scopes have those capabilities, but only with LOTS of practice....... Figure out what your NORMAL optimal range is and go from there... talk with folks at a respectable gun shop and they can help you out ....

Hope that gives ya a LITTLE help

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    The 3-9x40 is just that.... adjusts from 3 power to 9 power.. and you are correct.. the 40 is the mm of the scope....

Therefore a 4-10x40 is from 4 power to 10 power.. etc...etc...

As far as using the same scope to shoot 50 to 700 yards... not possible unless you are willing to spend big bucks..... the sniper type scopes have those capabilities, but only with LOTS of practice....... Figure out what your NORMAL optimal range is and go from there... talk with folks at a respectable gun shop and they can help you out ....

Hope that gives ya a LITTLE help

I may have been a little "aggressive" with the 50-700 haha. I have a Bushnell elite 3-9x40 and it's awesome but I feel at 100 yds I'm not getting enough zoom. Target still looks a little smal

just go w a higher zoom?
    FU BHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    I may have been a little "aggressive" with the 50-700 haha. I have a Bushnell elite 3-9x40 and it's awesome but I feel at 100 yds I'm not getting enough zoom. Target still looks a little smal

just go w a higher zoom?
    In an AR that is using standard ammunition, I'm gonna be a little realistic with you here and say that even an experienced shooter will have some problems taking their AR to 700 yards RELIABLY. There are quite a few people that DO shoot AR's that range, but they are shooting the heavy pills, with adjustable gas blocks, and pretty hot reloads. If you don't have the right twist of barrel, this probably isn't going to happen for you. Schr8er2000 gave some good advice about figuring out your comfortable range to begin with and working from there.

My main question to you about "shooting long range" would be, how do you intend to do it? There are lots of people that HATE to dial their scope and prefer to use hold over only. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that, but you're going to need the correct reticle for the job, otehrwise it's just guessing and that doesn't work usually even out to 300 yards for most people. If you intend to dial your scope, you're going to have to spend a decent amount of money to get a reliable optic. Since you already have a Bushnell Elite, then it's safe to say you understand about spending a reasonable about of money on a scope. Bushnell Elite scopes, especially the 4200's, have VERY good glass, their down fall when it comes to shooting long range is that they don't quite have as much travel as some other scopes. You're gonna need the travel if you're going to be dialing the scope out long range.

Now in terms of "power", it's really a preference thing. What size of targets are you shooting at that they look small at 100 yards? How a target looks in the scope is relative to how large it is to begin with. If you're shooting at small targets (as in 2 or even 3") at 100 yards, with a thicker reticle, they can appear pretty dang small at 100 yards. I will say that hits on man size targets have been made at 1,000 yards with 9x and 10x scopes. If you have an experienced shooter who can hold properly, they can make hits on man sized targets at those distances. I personally prefer more magnficiation for long range shooting. There's a few things that you probably don't understand about long range shooting. As the magnification gets greater, you will see a great deal more wobble in your hold, at very high magnifications and not optimal shooting position, you will even see pulse beat in the scope. As you get in higher magnifications, due to smaller exit puplis, you will also get darker sight pictures, the greater that you increase the magnficiation. So really what it starts to deal with is how much sight wobble is tolerable to a shooter without being detrimental to accuracy, and how bright do you need the target and it's contrast to be?

You can hold a 36" target at 1,000 yards on 10x, and you will notice you are moving some, but have no problem keeping the crosshairs in the black on the target, and about centered. You could have that same 36" target at 1,000 yards on 20-25x now. Although you aren't moving any more, because the target appears larger to you (2 - 2.5x), your movement will also appear 2-2.5" more to you. Since the target is larger, you might still be able to keep the crosshairs in the black, but not really tell exactly where in the black you're going to hit. It's all a preference thing and what is acceptable to you. You have to realize that once you start to get out a ways, 500 yards and beyond, depending on lighting conditions, mirage will play a pretty significant part in the sight picture. At 1,000 yards, even with a USO or Nightforce scope, you won't see any features of the target crisp, if you have heavy mirage. The sides of the target will appear to have a "bow" or "wave" that runs through them, the target might jump up and down 12", etc. Because we have to look through atmospheric conditions when we shoot, they will play a part in the sight picture. Under heavy mirage, it helps a LOT, to just dial down your scope and aim at the smaller target that isn't wobbling and moving as much.

After you answer a few of those questions, I'll get back into your question and about what might fit you best. I would also like to know budget requirements as well, because it also plays a big part in this. You really need to consider how "serious" you are about shooting to 500 or 700 yards, and how often you're going to do it. Because when you start talking about getting serious, the numbers will usually start around the $400 (for the "cheap" stuff) and go on up and up from there. Is it worth spending that much or more money to you, just to get started on something that you may or may not do that often?

P.S. Come on guys, READ THE TITLES TO THE SECTIONS!!! There isn't any reason why mods should have to move this thread from "rifles" to "optics". There's a seperate section where all people talk about is optics, scopes, and sights; please place your thread in the appropriate place. It just takes more time on the mods part (which they already have little of, and they're volunteering). We need to be respectful of how much of their time they donate, this is a very simple remedy.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; June 9th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Just a little reinforcement of some of what was already said. Long distances - in excess, let's say, of 300 yards and out to one thousand require 77-90 grain bullets, the expertise to load them ('cause you can't buy them), and the proper rifling (1-7) to stabilize them.
    Trijicon makes a number of scopes, ACOGs, that have reticles calibrated for particular loads from distances 100 yards to 600 yards. The shooter sights in at 100 and just raises the muzzle as the distance increases, going from reticle to reticle. That's the theory in any case. The reticles are set for torso sized targets, not bullseye types. And they are pricey little items - though the optics are superb and they fit right into the carry handle.
    The TA01 is set for military .223.
    http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...m?categoryID=3
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Monroe County)

Pete D , you can buy 77-79 grain ammo, Black Hills sells them.
    Not that i'm ecouraging the young man to shoot a AR out to 1000 yards. Thats what the 6.8 spc and 6.5 Grendel were invented for right?

Nyman

(Luzerne County)

Yep. Forgot about the Black Hills ammo - and I have a couple of boxes of them on the shelf. Go figure.
    The AR with the right bullets will acquit itself very nicely at 1000 yards - though it's true that the trend is toward the larger 6.5s.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...