Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Anyone Know About Guitars

My girlfriend was given this by her uncle when she was about 13.

It looks awesome, and this dude, who owns like 5 guitars gets excited in the pants whenever he sees it.

It's missing an e string, and the low E keeps slipping off of it's grove at the end where the action adjuster is I guess. I think it's set at the lowest possible action so maybe it just flaws at that point. Any solutions, and is this guitar bass ass or what?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Anyone Know About Guitars

Sure thing....

It's a Global Gibson starter guitar, and it usually was sold as a starter kit with a solid state amp in the 70's. Gibson started making these before they bought Epiphone as the imorted version they sell!

It has a reputation for cheap tuners and bridge. So yours being not working fits, but you can change this all out very cheaply! The neck is slightly smaller than the SG/Strat of that time, made for smaller hands as a starter!!I consider it to actually be more like a cross bewteen a Strat and a SG. It has a laminated Plywood body. Pickguard is wired like a Fender Strat. it has two selector switches for the pickups. Basically on and off for each pickup. They look like single coil pickups, but hard to tell from your picture, so it might sound more like a Strat!

Value, IF in good condition is about 200 dollars.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

I see you're excited about seeing it to so very cool, and
    my dad did say that it looks like something from back in his days.

Right now I've invested time into practicing on a shitty guitar so I hoping that when I get some $$$ she can be fixed then maybe I can cruise to each of the chords on this guitar.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the rep!! Guitars, guns and motorcycles?!?! What else is there....

Opps, and woman!!

Happy to help, anytime!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willtallica View Post
    I see you're excited about seeing it to so very cool, and
    my dad did say that it looks like something from back in his days.

Right now I've invested time into practicing on a shitty guitar so I hoping that when I get some $$$ she can be fixed then maybe I can cruise to each of the chords on this guitar.
    Hepefully soon ill have the money to buy a decent Telecaster to keep in open G tuning so I can rip off Keith Richards!

Quote Originally Posted by Willtallica View Post

My girlfriend was given this by her uncle when she was about 13.

It looks awesome, and this dude, who owns like 5 guitars gets excited in the pants whenever he sees it.

It's missing an e string, and the low E keeps slipping off of it's grove at the end where the action adjuster is I guess. I think it's set at the lowest possible action so maybe it just flaws at that point. Any solutions, and is this guitar bass ass or what?
    Well sounds like Dannytheman gave you the history on the piece. I knew that it wasn't that expensive of a guitar, but didn't remember the exact era, and figured that Gibson made it. Sometimes strings will slip out of the nut, especially the E strings, when they are wound the wrong direction on the tuner. When this happens, and you try to bend the string towards the outside of the neck, it will slip off, because it doesn't even have the correct wind direction to help keep it on. Either way, it's something to look at that could be part of the problem. Accurate and repeatable tuners are necessary for a decent guitar. Either way, maybe that helps with the problem.