Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Any opinions on a derringer?

I have been thinking about picking up a derringer for cc during the summer months. I have a bra holster that works pretty good, but it would still be nice sometimes to just have a smaller gun. I know that it obviously has some big down sides, but there are times when I debate on not carrying just because I want to wear tighter clothes, and I hate the idea of keeping my gun in my purse. I know sacrifices need to be made when carring, I am just debating on if this would even be an option for me. I would probably go with one in 38 primarily because I don't want to have to stock a new kind of ammo, and 38 is the smallest caliber we own already. I have only been able to look at one of these at a gun show, and did not like it. I am no sissy, but the trigger pull was so heavy that I figured by the time I got the gun to fire it would be of no use. I know that the pull is heavy for saftey, but are they all that heavy? Just looking for any opinions on these from anybody who has actually been able to shoot them.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Any opinions on a derringer?

I have a Bond Derringer in .38/.357. Yes, the trigger pull is heavy, and I was also told it was for safety. I did a lot of research before buying one, and it seemed Bond was the only name worth owning. An advantage I learned after buying it, was that I can buy barrels for many other calibers and put them on the same frame. I'm thinking about getting a 9mm, .44 mag and .45/.410 barrel since those are rounds I already have for other guns.

Don't get one because it's light weight though. It takes a lot of metal to make a tiny gun that can handle a .357 load, and weighs more than my Colt .38 snubby. I also don't see how it would provide any advantage for tighter clothes (at least a Bond) because it's small and chunky, and I can't think of anyway to carry it other than a purse or loose pocket that would allow you to get a fast grip on it during an SD situation. Of course, that's a man's point of view. You may have other CC options that I haven't considered.

I bought it primarily as a toy and an occassional pocket gun when out on the trail, not as a carry or BUG for SD. They aren't very accurate past a few yards, but if it's that or nothing, it would certainly put a big hole in a bad guy if he's bearing down on you and you have a way of getting to it quickly.

(Jefferson County)

The Bond derringers are big and heavy. You can get a semi-auto pocket pistol that is smaller and lighter than the Bonds. They are tanks though and well built..

American Derringer makes some fine 2-shooters also. Probably some of the best in fact. Huge selection of chamberings.

Cobra derringers are cheap. Zinc alloy metal, the type known to break, blow apart, etc.. The rifling on my 38 "Big Bore" looks like it was painted on.. I can barely feel it with a needle, thats how shallow the rifling is. My trigger when I first got it was obnoxiously heavy, requiring the trigger finger of both hands to make it go bang.

Any gun of the 2-barrel derringer size and weight will recoil really nasty like with 9mm, 38spl, and higher chamberings.

Blech. Don't like. Maybe as a novelty or something to have fun with, but I found shooting one in .38 so unpleasant that kind of gets rid of the fun part. One in .22 might be fun. Perhaps even handy with snakeshot and carried in addition to my Beretta while working in the lawn, fishing, hiking, or camping.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Pike County)

I know that it is not what the OP asked, but take a look at NAA mini revolvers. If you want small, I would much rather have 5 rds. of .22, either LR or magnum, than a rock. Also, .22LR is still basically cheap, so it should not be a big $$ investment for a new caliber.
    I often use a 1 5/8" .22magnum for a BUG.
    Stick with good ammo, and change out often.

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    I know that it is not what the OP asked, but take a look at NAA mini revolvers. If you want small, I would much rather have 5 rds. of .22, either LR or magnum, than a rock. Also, .22LR is still basically cheap, so it should not be a big $$ investment for a new caliber.
    I often use a 1 5/8" .22magnum for a BUG.
    Stick with good ammo, and change out often.
    I have carried a NAA Mini with a 1 5/8" barrel many, many miles. I think it's an excellent little revolver. I got both the .22LR and .22Mag cylinder with mine, and I always carry the latter for defense. It's so light I often forget it's in my front pocket. There are several models to choose from.

(Lawrence County)

bought my wife a davis deringer, 32acp. stainless steel with rosewood grips.small enough to stick in her bra ,or even carrying it in her hand with her fingerrs wrrapped around it , can't hit anything over 4 yards away lol but up close can hit center mass.recoil; not bad in 32acp.. report pretty loud tho. only2 real draw backs only 2 shooter and hammer is awkward to pull back besides the price was good at 50 dollars.. besides she thinks its cute

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I have carried a NAA Mini with a 1 5/8" barrel many, many miles. I think it's an excellent little revolver. I got both the .22LR and .22Mag cylinder with mine, and I always carry the latter for defense. It's so light I often forget it's in my front pocket. There are several models to choose from.
    Are you sure .22wmr is enough to defend yourself? I mean, in order to be any sort of effective, you would need to be within a foot or so of your attacker, but I cant imagine a .22wmr being effective enough to kill or disable (you shouldn't be shooting to disable anyway) a would be attacker...

I kind of have a hard time with you suggesting a .22 for a carry piece even if it is 22 mag... 38spl or bigger for revolvers 9mm or bigger for semi autos. Thats all I can suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Are you sure .22wmr is enough to defend yourself? I mean, in order to be any sort of effective, you would need to be within a foot or so of your attacker, but I cant imagine a .22wmr being effective enough to kill or disable (you shouldn't be shooting to disable anyway) a would be attacker...

I kind of have a hard time with you suggesting a .22 for a carry piece even if it is 22 mag... 38spl or bigger for revolvers 9mm or bigger for semi autos. Thats all I can suggest.
    You should do a little research on how many people have been killed or disabled with .22s. Hardly a first choice for most folks, but in this application it's certainly worth considering.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    You should do a little research on how many people have been killed or disabled with .22s. Hardly a first choice for most folks, but in this application it's certainly worth considering.
    I am sure plenty of people have been killed with baseball bats and ninja stars, but that doesn't make them any more effective as a carry weapon.

As a last ditch effort I can see it being effective if you can get the gun right near the attacker's head either in the ear or in the eye, but if you really want a concealable (incredibly concealable) way of defending yourself, don't discount pepper spray. If your intention is to disarm someone or disable them, pepper spray (the stream, not the mist/foam) works amazingly well. If you want to kill your would be attacker, get a gun chambered in a proper self defense caliber.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast