Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Voluntary Commitment to Mental Hospital?

So a buddy of mine was checking into getting a LTCF and a pistol. Awhile ago he VOLUNTARILY committed himself to a mental hospital because of his ocd and not having health insurance. He has the forms printed out, and it clearly asks "have you ever been INVOLUNTARILY committed to a mental hospital?", he would like to know if he will be able to obtain one after all since he did it himself or what.

I would think he'd be in the clear since it wasn't against his will. I figured I'd ask on here though and get back to him.

Default Re: Voluntary Commitment to Mental Hospital?

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    So a buddy of mine was checking into getting a LTCF and a pistol. Awhile ago he VOLUNTARILY committed himself to a mental hospital because of his ocd and not having health insurance. He has the forms printed out, and it clearly asks "have you ever been INVOLUNTARILY committed to a mental hospital?", he would like to know if he will be able to obtain one after all since he did it himself or what.

I would think he'd be in the clear since it wasn't against his will. I figured I'd ask on here though and get back to him.
    Just my thoughts here... nothing on the application or in the PA Uniform Firearms Act asks about voluntarily commitments, so he should be OK.

As long as he answers all questions truthfully, I don't think he'd have a problem getting his LTCF.

About buying a handgun, on the federal form 4473 that has to be filled out when purchasing/transferring a handgun, one question (11. f) asks if you have ever been committed to a mental institution, without specifying voluntary or involuntary. So there he could run into a problem.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Just my thoughts here... nothing on the application or in the PA Uniform Firearms Act asks about voluntarily commitments, so he should be OK.

As long as he answers all questions truthfully, I don't think he'd have a problem getting his LTCF.

About buying a handgun, on the federal form 4473 that has to be filled out when purchasing/transferring a handgun, one question (11. f) asks if you have ever been committed to a mental institution, without specifying voluntary or involuntary. So there he could run into a problem.
    Thanks, I'll have to let him know about that.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post

And that right there is the biggest crock of bullshit. It really pisses me off that by seeking treetment one can permenantly exempt themselves from ever owning a firearm legally. I thought we should encourage people to seek treatment and not have them have to worry about future impacts on rights. WTF!

(Erie County)

Committment = involuntary, Admitted = voluntary. He may answer truthfully that he has never been committed to a hospital.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Donpsyd View Post
    Committment = involuntary, Admitted = voluntary. He may answer truthfully that he has never been committed to a hospital.
    I am not a lawyer, I am not a doctor, I am not qualified in anyway but...
    ...I don't think the above is true.

(Allegheny County)

when I took the Utah CC class they instructor said that unless a Judge has you committed to a metal hospital then it is your own private business if you get metal health treatment and has nothing to do with applying for permits or purchasing firearms.

So unless a judge had him committed then he should be fine.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Cumberland County)

he is good to go on this .

(Lehigh County)

I'd say commited = involuntary.

commited:
    bound or obligated, as under a pledge to a particular cause, action, or attitude; "committed church members"; "a committed Marxist"
    admitted:
    admit - allow to enter; grant entry to

(Lancaster County)

Thanks guys, I'll pass this on to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast