Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default DELCO-another gone, Don's

I was driving down Route 420 thru Prospect Park today and I see the Gun Store(Don's) has the gate pulled down with a big "closed" sign. I know the original owner passed away some time ago and read it was going to close soon. I meant to stop in but waited too long. I was last in there about 5-6 years ago.
    I'm concerned because in my lifetime I've seen local Gun Stores fold but no new ones opening up. I look at Miller's and Ken Crane's-both nice people, but don't see any relatives waiting in the wings to take over their stores when they retire.
    Last edited by timdennis; June 1st, 2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: mispelled/bad grammar
    Tim

Default Re: DELCO-another gone, Don's

Quote Originally Posted by timdennis View Post
    I was driving down Route 420 thru Prospect Park today and I see the Gun Store(Don's) has the gate pulled down with a big "closed" sign. I know the original owner passed away some time ago and read it was going to close soon. I meant to stop in but waited too long. I was last in there about 5-6 years ago.
    I'm concerned because in my lifetime I've seen local Gun Stores fold but no new ones opening up. I look at Miller's and Ken Crane's-both nice people, but don't see any relatives waiting in the wings to take over their stores when they retire.
    It's not like I would speak ill of the dead or their establishments, but his was one in which I never had an urge to spend a thin dime. In fact, I bought a used sling in there, and that was it. It's just that there never seemed to be a pleasant word or an atmosphere that made you want to stay around, and the prices were beyond predatory.

There was one around the corner, up on Macdade Blvd., whose owner also passed on, and it struggled for a while to stay open, and ultimately closed. That was a much friendlier place, and friendlier still is The Suburban Armory, in Collingdale, which is still in business. Other than that, I can only think of Double Action in Yeadon, although I'm sure that hard-core "DelConians" will be aware of others that are still in place. But you're right, they seem to be disappearing, without anyone interested in continuing operations.

(Delaware County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/shops-20/5235...-business.html

Yup.. Since April!! Gordon's is now in Eagle, PA on rt 100. Millers has some more kids in the lineage, I think!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I missed that earlier thread about the sale. I was only in the place briefly and can't remember anything good or bad. I remember seeing articles in the local paper concerning the owners love of big game hunting with photos. Then later his Obit.
    There was another place in Prospect Park on Chester Pike. It looked like an older house up a hill. Can't remember the name. Never visted it. Thats also gone. The place on McDade Blvd. in Ridley Township was GunCraft. The owner, Frank Finn was also a gunsmith and did action jobs on a couple revolvers of mine.
    I forgot aboutThe Suburban Armory in Collingdale. Owner seemed like a nice guy last time I was in there was 5 or more years ago. I remember geting in a conversation about College since both our kids were just starting. His was just accepted at one of the Ivy League Universities so I doubt that they're going to take over his business.
    Double Action-been there a few times. Seemed more of a range then a place to buy-very limited stock. Looked like a nice place to shoot though,lot more "low-keyed" then Targetmaster but membership is more costly.
    Tim

(Delaware County)

Yes, DePlacedo's is gone. Like King 5.45, I don't really have anything postive to say, so I'll keep it at that.

I would stop in Gun Craft every once in a while and I know Frank Finn's son (I think) tried to keep it open after he passed, but he folded in about a year.

Suburban Armory is a nice shop, but it's small. The owner is a nice guy and for the life of me, I can't remember his name. He's always very friendly.

In Crum Lynn, Ken Crane is in business, and I spend most of my money there. At one time his daughter, Vera, used to work there but I think she's moved on to other things. Since Christmas I've talked to Ken he has mentioned permanently retiring in a few years, but, hopefully, that's just talk.

The place on Chester Pike has been gone for a while. I beleive I was only in there once. I was always scared to park on the street for fear of having my car hit. The shop was on the front porch, from what I remember.

The gun stores just aren't opening anymore. I wish I had the money to buy one out, and work it myself, but I don't think that will be happening any time soon.