Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Application for LCTF-help & where do I put my gun?

On the Lehigh County website I cannot find an application for an LCTF. Saving me a trip to the Sheriff's office tomorrow morning, can anyone please tell me at what age in Lehigh County one can apply for an LCTF? I would like to purchase a firearm & gift it to my child for self defense.
    Thank you kindly!

Also if anyone would be kind enough to give me suggestions. Due to the nature of the question you can email me your response if that makes you more comfortable. I will be purchasing a firearm & applying for an LCTF since I cannot bring my firearm into my place of employment what do I do with it when I get to work? Locking it in the glovebox does not seem logical-besides bolting a safe in the floor of my vehicle what can I do-help!
    Lady Victory...

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Application for LCTF-help & where do I put my gun?

Gotta be 21 to obtain an LTCF. A guy I work with leaves his pistol in his truck, but if you don't feel comfortable with doing that, I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericaForever View Post
    On the Lehigh County website I cannot find an application for an LCTF. Saving me a trip to the Sheriff's office tomorrow morning, can anyone please tell me at what age in Lehigh County one can apply for an LCTF? I would like to purchase a firearm & gift it to my child for self defense.
    Thank you kindly!

Also if anyone would be kind enough to give me suggestions. Due to the nature of the question you can email me your response if that makes you more comfortable. I will be purchasing a firearm & applying for an LCTF since I cannot bring my firearm into my place of employment what do I do with it when I get to work? Locking it in the glovebox does not seem logical-besides bolting a safe in the floor of my vehicle what can I do-help!
    Here's a LTCF app you can use. It is from Westmorland Co., but does not have the name at the top. It is the latest version. Just print out and fill in your county's name. not sure if you can fill it in online or not, might have to print it then fill it out.

http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/wes...pplication.pdf

Oh and there are special car gun safes available.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; May 31st, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Thank you kindly!

How old is the child??

Also I do not understand the saving a trip to the Sheriffs office portion. You have to go there to turn in the application, pay your fees, and get your pic.... the application only takes a minute to fill out. Just go there fill out, hand it in with your $$
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Lehigh County)

Thank you kindly!

Let me start by saying IANAL. Please familiarize yourself with the laws before buying a gun for your child. I know it is legal to gift a child from parent to child without going through PICS. But I'm not sure that it's legal to buy a gun with the intention of immediately gifting it to you child.

I'm worried this could be considered a strawman purchase which might cause you trouble. If your child lives with you at the moment, it's probably not much of an issue.

Just something to think about - I'm not familiar with the statute as it relates to strawman purchases but I wanted to bring it up for discussion.

I believe the age that you can get a LTCF is 21 in PA.

(Lehigh County)

In Lehigh County you must go to the sheriff's office at the courthouse. Fill out the form, pay and they will take a photo. You will need two references WITHIN Lehigh County. 15 minutes or less and friendly staff. Takes about 4-5 weeks, and you will receive a photo-id by mail.

You must be 21 and be able to pass a PICS check. SBaker makes some great points regarding transfers.

As to work, secure it well. If it is stolen you may lose your LTCF. Also, Philadelphia has it own special "laws" if you plan to travel/work there.

Quote Originally Posted by GHogHarvester View Post
    In Lehigh County you must go to the sheriff's office at the courthouse. Fill out the form, pay and they will take a photo. You will need two references WITHIN Lehigh County. 15 minutes or less and friendly staff. Takes about 4-5 weeks, and you will receive a photo-id by mail.

You must be 21 and be able to pass a PICS check. SBaker makes some great points regarding transfers.

As to work, secure it well. If it is stolen you may lose your LTCF. Also, Philadelphia has it own special "laws" if you plan to travel/work there.
    there are parts of this i'm not sure are correct

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    there are parts of this i'm not sure are correct
    Which parts would those be? I am assuming the part about the two references WITHIN the county?? Yes, I do know for a fact that they ask that. If thats the part you were questioning.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
    Let me start by saying IANAL. Please familiarize yourself with the laws before buying a gun for your child. I know it is legal to gift a child from parent to child without going through PICS. But I'm not sure that it's legal to buy a gun with the intention of immediately gifting it to you child.

I'm worried this could be considered a strawman purchase which might cause you trouble. If your child lives with you at the moment, it's probably not much of an issue.

Just something to think about - I'm not familiar with the statute as it relates to strawman purchases but I wanted to bring it up for discussion.

I believe the age that you can get a LTCF is 21 in PA.
    Buying a firearm for a gift is not considerd a strawman purchase. Will post when I find reference.

If OP is gifting a handgun to child, he/she must be 18+. (18 Pa CSA §6110.1)

ETA:
    A purchase as a gift is not considered a straw purchase under US federal law if the recipient may legally possess it;
    Link - would you believe I'm quoting the Brady bunch

it is perfectly legal for one person to purchase a firearm as a gift for another person. For example, a grandfather for his grandson or a husband for his wife.
    Link

THe Federal firearms laws require that the individual filing out this form must be buying the firearm for himself or herself or as a gift.
    Link ATF Form 4473 para 1 page 3
    Last edited by tl_3237; June 4th, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by spabula View Post
    Which parts would those be? I am assuming the part about the two references WITHIN the county?? Yes, I do know for a fact that they ask that. If thats the part you were questioning.
    You need to explain to your sheriff, that that is not a requirement, per the UFA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast