Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Dog killed protecting family during home invasion

I did a search before posting this & didn't come up with anything so please forgive me if this has been previously posted since it happened a few days ago.

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_12474454?source=most_viewed

Couple robbed, dog killed in home invasion
    Associated Press
    Updated: 05/29/2009 12:47:49 AM EDT

EKLTON, Md. - Maryland State Police say two masked gunmen forced their way into an Elkton-area home, robbed a couple and killed their dog.

It happened about 12:45 a.m. Wednesday on Deaver Road. The couple were asleep in a bedroom when the two men, pointing handguns at them, demanded money.

Troopers said the gunmen left the house after getting an undisclosed amount of money. The couple's dog chased them, and one of the gunman shot and killed the animal.

The gunmen fled in a vehicle that had been parked in a nearby driveway.
    Last edited by 87th PVI; May 31st, 2009 at 01:12 AM.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dog killed protecting family during home invasion

Truly sad... I hope the couple ended up okay, and I feel for their loss - both for the sanctity of their home and their pet.

If an intruder intends to harm my Labrador, it'd be in their best interest to kill me first. Sometimes the only thing that people have left to love in life is their dog.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    I did a search before posting this & didn't come up with anything so please forgive me if this has been previously posted since it happened a few days ago.

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_12474454?source=most_viewed

Couple robbed, dog killed in home invasion
    Associated Press
    Updated: 05/29/2009 12:47:49 AM EDT

EKLTON, Md. - Maryland State Police say two masked gunmen forced their way into an Elkton-area home, robbed a couple and killed their dog.

It happened about 12:45 a.m. Wednesday on Deaver Road. The couple were asleep in a bedroom when the two men, pointing handguns at them, demanded money.

Troopers said the gunmen left the house after getting an undisclosed amount of money. The couple's dog chased them, and one of the gunman shot and killed the animal.

The gunmen fled in a vehicle that had been parked in a nearby driveway.
    treat your dog right and it'll die for you anyday!

sad story...poor family (no pun intended).
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Dauphin County)

Question Re: Dog killed protecting family during home invasion

I was born as rasied in Elkton MD. I parrents still reside there. Nice place to live ......for Maryland. Sad story

(York County)

But wait there's more:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19039019/detail.html

Dog Protecting Atlanta Home Killed By Burglar
    Posted: 10:13 am EDT March 29, 2009
    Updated: 6:16 am EDT March 30, 2009

ATLANTA -- Atlanta police are looking for a burglar who shot and killed a dog in southwest Atlanta.
    Police said the burglary took place at about midnight Saturday in the 900 block of Peeples Street.
    Investigators said that when the thief broke into the home, the dog attacked and that’s when the burglar shot the dog.
    Police said no one was home at the time of the shooting.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...4bddde&k=43887
    Helper dog killed protecting man from cougar
    By CanWest News Service

Blackie spent her life helping others, and died in one last act of self-sacrifice.
    The nine-year-old black dog - who worked accompanying a young autistic boy, and understood commands in both French and English - helped save a Prince George, B.C., man from a hungry cougar.
    On Thursday, Wayne Krasnesky, 50, was out walking near his brother's house with two of his dogs - a small one named Tobin, and Blackie, a Labrador retriever who wanted to stretch her arthritic legs.
    "We turned a little blind corner and there we were, face-to-face with this cougar," he said, adding the big cat starting growling rather than retreating.
    "I froze. I was simply terrified. I really thought, 'I'm done,'" he said.
    At that moment, the old dog "mustered up" the strength and - "knowing full well 'I'm not winning this one'" - attacked the cougar, he said.
    Krasnesky picked up Tobin and ran, as Blackie howled with pain as the cougar clamped on the dog's throat and shook her. "That's the thing I'd like to forget, but I can't get that out of my mind," he said.
    "I didn't sleep last night. I'm thinking there's a good chance she saved my butt. There's nothing in God's creation I could have done to help her."
    After the attack, conservation officers searched the property and found the female cougar. They shot and killed the animal.
    Krasnesky's nephew, Stephane Patenaude, 14, said Blackie was trained as a puppy to understand commands in French and English so she could help his 10-year-old autistic brother, David.
    He's convinced Blackie saved his uncle's life.
    "She bought him enough time to get away," said Patenaude. "If she didn't go (my uncle) wouldn't be here. I'm sure that she saved his life."
    The cougar was very skinny, and likely came to the property to hunt the fowl in the family's pond, he added.
    Patenaude said the attack has left Krasnesky extremely shaken. "Now he's almost scared to go outside," said Patenaude.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/44534617.html

Akron robbery victims say dog killed trying to protect them
    By Kathy Antoniotti

POSTED: 01:10 p.m. EDT, May 07, 2009

Beacon Journal staff writer

The residents of an apartment on Akron's near west side say they were awakened early Tuesday morning when armed intruders broke in looking for money.
    Before leaving, they say, the robbers shot and killed a pet German shepherd.
    It seems Bella, a 70-pound, 9-month-old shepherd, was protecting her owner, Brandon Richards, 19, when she advanced toward one of the robbers armed with a pistol.
    ''She was just doing her job, trying to protect him,'' said Jeffrey Heffernan, 20, Richards' roommate.
    The men and two others moved into the four-bedroom apartment in December, he said.
    Heffernan said the gunmen kicked in the door of the West Exchange Street apartment at about 5:45 a.m., held a gun to his head and threatened to kill him.
    "I was laying in bed when my (bedroom) door comes flying off its hinges,'' Heffernan said.
    The intruders, police said, were each carrying 9 mm handguns demanded money.
    Richards, who had been sleeping in a bedroom across the hall, heard the commotion and opened his door to see what was going on, Heffernan said.
    ''One of the guys turned a gun on Brandon and he tried to shut his door,'' Heffernan said.
    But not before Bella slipped past Richards and moved toward the robbers, Heffernan said.
    After shooting the dog, the robbers appeared anxious and in a hurry to leave, he said. They took Heffernan's 47-inch flat-screen television before they fled, he said.
    ''He ended up dropping it, so it probably is broken,'' Heffernan said today.
    One of the intruders returned to Heffernan's room and once again demanded money, Heffernan said.
    ''I thought my wallet was in my shorts, so I grabbed them and threw them at him,'' he said.
    The other residents of the apartment stayed behind their bedroom doors and tried to barricade themselves inside, Heffernan said.
    The gunmen left without getting any money, he said.
    Akron police are looking for two black males, both 18 to 22 years old, both between 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 11 inches tall.
    One of the intruders reportedly has a medium complexion and average build and was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.
    The other man has a light complexion, average build and was wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans, police said.
    One man carried a silver pistol and the other a black one, police said. Police recovered a 9 mm shell casing in the hallway near Heffernan's bedroom door, authorities said.
    A witness told police two individuals matching descriptions of the robbers left the scene in a maroon or burgundy four-door Ford Contour.
    The men are wanted on charges of aggravated burglary, cruelty to animals and aggravated robbery, said Akron Police Lt. Rick Edwards.

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/36961

Snake kills brave pet

By Sarah Schwager
    28th February 2007 04:12:15 PM

A Blind Bight boy will forever remember his brave dog after it was killed protecting him from a tiger snake.
    Jackie Leggs, a three-year-old Jack Russell terrier, died protecting its owner, six-year-old Jeremy Finch, right up until the end.
    Jeremy’s grandmother Jennie Finch said Jeremy was at home from school on a curriculum day last Wednesday when he was asked to go outside to clean up his toys. Like most kids, he got distracted and sat down on a plastic chair when Jackie started barking and jumping back and forth.
    Jeremy thought he wanted to play so picked up the dog but it frantically leapt out of his arms. Jeremy’s dad Brendan Free heard the noise and asked if he had finished picking up his toys.
    As he got up, Jeremy saw the snake curled around the leg of the chair he had just been sitting on.
    “He remembered what I had told him if he ever saw a snake,” Mrs Finch said.
    “So he stood really still, kept his eye on the snake and walked slowly backwards.
    “At this stage the snake was striking, so Jackie put himself in between Jeremy and the snake.”
    Mrs Finch said by that time Jeremy had reached the door and ran inside to tell his dad that Jackie was fighting with a snake.
    Mr Free came outside and saw Jackie jumping back and forward at the snake and the snake continuing to strike. He grabbed a shovel and, while panicking because he knew snakes were protected species, felt he had no other choice and killed the snake. He looked over Jackie but couldn’t find any bite marks. Then, five minutes later, Jackie began to stagger.
    They rushed the dog to the vet where it was given three vials of antivenene then taken by ambulance to the animal hospital in Hallam.
    Mrs Finch said while the help they had received had been exceptional, the family had to make the tough decision to put Jackie down as it was not breathing on its own and the vet could not guarantee it would survive because of severe muscle and organ damage.
    “We are so sad for Jeremy that he lost his little dog but so grateful that it wasn’t Jeremy that was bitten. This awful situation could have been just so much worse. I am positive that Jackie died saving and protecting Jeremy.”
    Mrs Finch warned people to be wary of snakes in their backyards and to educate their children about what to do in such a situation.
    “The snake was only a foot long. It was only a baby snake and look what it managed to do.”
    She said for certain reasons, such as the drought, snakes were much worse this time of year than normal.
    At the animal hospital, Mrs Finch was told that normally at this time of year the snakes’ venom was not as powerful because they were hibernating but for some reason this year they had been unusually aggressive.
    She said the snake had been very close to the dog’s water bowl and suggested that was why it was there.
    “I have lived in Blind Bight for 22 years and had never seen a snake. Yet there have been six instances in the last month of Eastern Brown Snakes seen in yards.”
    Jeremy buried his beloved dog in his grandmother’s backyard beside her other dogs Sapphire and Possum

(LOL When I first read this, I thought, "How could a blind boy see the snake?" but then in the last paragraph I realized Blind Bight is the town Duh! WHo else did that? C'mon admit it!)

http://www.news4jax.com/news/18837417/detail.html

Dog Shot While Protecting Owner
    Pit Bull Shot During Home Invasion Robbery Attempt

POSTED: Monday, March 2, 2009
    UPDATED: 9:44 pm EST March 2, 2009

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A pit bull is credited with saving his owner's life. The dog took a bullet during a recent home-invasion robbery in Mayport.
    The 10-month-old dog named Man protected his master, Mike Thomas, when he needed him most.
    "My dog protected all of us. He took the bullet for all of us," Thomas said.
    He said he was at home last week with his brother and some friends. That's when, police said, three men stormed through the front door of the home with a shotgun.
    Thomas said the men were wearing masks and trying to rob him.
    "I seen like three dudes run up on the porch, and I kind of jumped up. As soon as I jumped up, they ripped the door open and my dog jumped from sitting beside me all the way to the door and jumped on one of them. The dude got scared and shot him," Thomas said.
    The pit bull scared the intruders before anyone else was hurt. However, the dog's act of courage came at a large price. The shotgun pellet entered Man's left shoulder, and doctors had to amputate his entire front leg.
    Thomas said the Clay County Humane Society preformed the $5,000 procedure for free.
    "At first, I was a little -- it just wasn't him because I pictured him with four legs. Now, he's used to it. He still sleeps with me on my bed. It's all good. I don’t love him any less," Thomas said.
    With the help of his owner, Man has adjusted to life with three legs. Thomas said his dog is pain medication and that the dog's stitches will be removed in a few days.

http://www.koco.com/news/6634254/detail.html

Dog Killed Protecting Owner
    POSTED: 5:16 pm CST January 31, 2006
    UPDATED: 7:49 pm CST January 31, 2006

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A home invasion on Tuesday in Oklahoma City cost the life of a family pet, who was trying to protect his owner, according to police.
    Police said either three or four men broke into a home near Northwest 10th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue at about noon. Once inside, a dog attacked one of the robbers.
    According to authorities, one of the men killed the dog with a shotgun. None of the people inside was hurt, however.
    Authorities said the men were wearing bandanas over their faces, and drove off in a silver car.

But there is always some small ray of good news:

http://www.newstimes.com/national/ci_11940005

Man who shot police dog killed in Washington state
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 03/18/2009 08:58:20 AM EDT

SPOKANE, Wash.—Police have killed a fleeing suspect who shot a police dog in Spokane.
    The Spokane sheriff's office says the chase began Tuesday night when an officer attempted to pull over a car for reckless driving. The driver sped away, became stuck on a lane divider and then ran.

A police dog and his handler tracked the suspect to an alley.

The sheriff's office says the suspect pulled a pistol and shot the dog. The handler then shot the suspect who died early Wednesday at a hospital. He is identified as Johnnie L. Longest, who has a record including vehicle theft and drug possession.

The car Longest was driving had been stolen.

The police dog is reported in stable condition at a pet emergency clinic.

AND THAT WAS JUST THE FIRST PAGE OF A GOOGLE SEARCH!!!!!
    Last edited by 87th PVI; May 31st, 2009 at 08:37 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    But wait there's more:
    AND THAT WAS JUST THE FIRST PAGE OF A GOOGLE SEARCH!!!!!
    i dont want to come off sounding like a dick, but i think the OP meant a search on here, pertaining to this particular incident, in hopes of avoiding a double post.
    my opinion.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

My family has always had Bassett Hounds and I've loved them all, but there was one who deserves mention here above the others. (The other family Bassetts were Smiley, Bentley, Beauford, Cassie)

Sylvester was the first and only dog I've had since moving out of my parent's house, so while the others were family pets, Sylvester was more like a son to me while the others were closer to an uncle (Smiley), two brothers & a sister.

Sylvester loved everyone & always wanted to play, but that didn't mean he couldn't hold his own when needed!

Once we were on a walk when a poodle came out of a house & ran straight for us.

Sylvester wagged his tail & got excited thinking he was about to meet a new playmate.

The poodle attacked him and after a half second of surprise, he went into defense mode... he grabbed the poodle shook it, & threw it back into the yard it had come from.

After the stupid poodle rolled to a stop & regained it's bearings it came at us again. I put my leg between the dogs and it attacked my leg, so I just kind of shook my leg to get it off at which time Sylvester grabbed the thing, gave it another shake & tossed it into the grass again.

Finally at that point the woman who owned the poodle was able to get it & take it back in the house.

I took Sylvester home & looked him over... the blood on him was not his own & everything was fine. I took his proof of shots to the woman & asked to see proof that her dog had it's shots. Meanwhile I could see the poodle laying in a corner licking it's wounds & all I could think was that it got what it deserved.

Another time, we had a next door neighbor with two pit bulls, & we shared a common access to both of our yards from the back doors.

Sylvester & the female pit bull got along great. She was a loveable dog & they would play as long as we would let them out together.

The male on the other hand seemed quite jealous of this relationship (well in actuality, I think his owner was trying to make it a fighting dog & trained it to want to attack other dogs).

He busted out & went after Sylvester twice in the time they lived there.
    The first time, Sylvester flipped the pit bull over & grabbed it by the throat & held it there till the owner got it, then Sylvester let go. Sylvester didn't have a scratch on him.

Boy did that ever piss that guy off! A Bassett Hound kicked his pit bulls ass!

The second time, Sylvester got his ear pierced by the pit bull, but again got on top of it & held it until the owner could get it under control.

At that point I told the guy he was going to need to keep the male dog in his house & especially off my property while Sylvester was using the yard or I'd be sure to sue him for every cent I could get out of him, report him for suspicion of cruelty to animals & have the dog put down. The guy moved away soon after that.

Lastly, I had an ex girlfriend who could become abusive but quickly learned to keep her hands to herself when Sylvester was around.

Sylvester was nice as can be & loving to her when she was nice, but when she'd raise her voice to me he'd growl at her. When she'd take a swing at me or hit me he'd try to get at her but I'd always be able to grab him & hold him at bay, which stopped her from hitting me at that moment so it was beneficial anyway.

One day we had an argument and I just wanted to remove myself from the situation so it would not escalate to her getting physical.
    I put the leash on Sylvester & said we were going for a walk to give her time to calm down.

She said you're not going anywhere & as I was opening the door, I heard a thud.
    I turned to see her standing there with a crazy look in her eye holding a broom handle. She had just hit a piece of furniture that I had inherited from my grandmother & she was winding up to swing again.

She hit it a second time & I ran toward her as she wound up for strike three.
    As I got to her she was mid swing & I took the hit of the broom stick in the ribs.
    I put my arms around her to stop her from doing any more damage but she quickly broke free because I wasn't holding very tight, I just wanted to keep her from hitting the heirloom any more.

About a quarter of a second later, Sylvester lunged from behind me (he'd also been running at her on my heels aparently) & took her to the ground.
    I jumped in & the next thing I knew, I was between them trying to keep them from killing one another!

No one was hurt except maybe the ex's pride... Sylvester & I went for our walk, & whatever the argument was about I'll probably never remember, but even though the ex is an ex & Sylvester passed away several years ago, the dents in Grandma's hutch are still there to remind me how much he loved me & how far he'd go to protect me.

Boy do I ever miss him!

The wife is allergic and she tried to cope when we first got together & I had two cats, but no amount of any medication helped her so I guess my days of pets are behind me.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    i dont want to come off sounding like a dick, but i think the OP meant a search on here, pertaining to this particular incident, in hopes of avoiding a double post.
    my opinion.
    The OP & the post you replied to are both the same person.

You are right, the OP meant a search on PAFOA. The but wait there's more post is saying check it out this isn't an isolated incident, there are many many more stories of man's best friend being heroic.

both posts were by me & the second was not intended to be a flame on the OP but more like an addendum.

(York County)

Boy, I love dogs...hate reading about them getting injured, neglected or any such thing. Brings tears to my eyes (literally).
    Can't find a more loyal buddy then your dog.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Monroe County)

my bad i shoulda scrolled up a second time and saw who posted the first one. its just the way the caps text in the second post came across to me, kinda as if the person was trying to rub it in the first posters face that they found stuff with ease on google. honest mistake since ive been up working all night.

i had a jack russell that was very protective of our property and one night he chased off a bear, but the bear caught the best of him and won that fight. we never saw the dog again after we heard a yelp in the darkness, so i can relate with this post.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast