Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Ever bought too many guns at one time?

I was getting a revolver transfered the other day and was offered an interesting warning. My FFL recommended that I wait at least a week before buying another handgun because so many transfers will raise a red flag and I'm libel to get a visit from the Feds! Have any of you ever bought several handguns in a short period of time? Have any of you had a visit from the Feds? What was it like?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ever bought too many guns at one time?

I bought 4 in a 2 month period. 2 of which we're purchased at the same time. No hassles here.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Luzerne County)

I got 3 spaced about 1 month apart...no problems and no visits from the feds

(Luzerne County)

i am told that if you buy 2 or more at one time the shop needs to fill out another form. i have purchased 2 at one time several several times in the past. never heard from anyone.

(Westmoreland County)

It was suggested to me to wait a week in between transfers/purchases so as to not throw up a "flag" by my FFL.

What have we come to?

"...shall not be questioned."...
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Same thing last night transfering my P32's. Told to wait a week between them otherwise the BATF will start asking why I needed them.

It's a real pain in the you know what.

(Monroe County)

Some shops tend to take things over the top.

If you purchase more than 1 handgun in a 5 day period (FROM THE SAME SHOP) the shop has to do a Multi Purchase form on you.
    The multi purchase form is then faxed to your county sheriff and is hard copied to PSP Firearms div. with thier transfer tax paperwork.

They use the Multi Purchase forms to catch someone who is buying LARGE quantities of handguns in a short time frame. Say to buy 2 handguns at a shop on Monday and then buy 2 Handguns from another shop on Weds. of the same week. That would bring your name to the top of the list. Now if that is your only Multi purchases for a couple months, you go back to the bottom of the list and off the radar.

If how ever you buy 2 guns from shop A on Monday and 2 Guns from shop B on Weds. and 2 guns from shop C on Friday. Then turn around and do the same thing two weeks later? Then at a minimum, you can expect a Phone Call BUT NOT A VISIT!

They just got a local guy who was doing the above to the point where he purchased 40 Handguns in 1 month. My understanding is the guns were being found in NYC within a week of him buying them so now has taken up residence with BUBBA.

Rich W.

(Centre County)

This is what the BATFE says about this:

"If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun."

My cousin is a handgun collector and has bought multiple handguns in a short period of time (6-8 handguns in a 3 week time). He got a visit from the BATFE, which was coordinated by phone to set a time that they could talk to him. The investigator went to his house (no search warrant) and he told them about his collection and showed them the collection (he collects single action revolvers). The investigator was impressed with his collection and how it was secured, thanked him for his time and cooperation and left.

I have been the middle man for a firearms instructor buying 10 S&W .22 autos for classes with the Boy Scouts and other groups. Had to fill out the above form and sent it in. He was never contacted by anyone.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

GunRunnersofPA is my FFL, so he can answer this one better than me. I think that the additional paperwork necessary for more than one hand gun in a week incurs some additional cost. Just seems easier to wait a week in between.

For rifles, I think you can buy as many as you want. GRoPA?
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    GunRunnersofPA is my FFL, so he can answer this one better than me. I think that the additional paperwork necessary for more than one hand gun in a week incurs some additional cost. Just seems easier to wait a week in between.

For rifles, I think you can buy as many as you want. GRoPA?

BT,

Correct. You can buy 100 rifles and no extra paperwork. 2 pistols within 1 week from one shop then extra paperwork. Don't tell the liberals or you WILL have to do the same thing with long guns.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast