Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help selecting a new pistol (CCW)

Hello everyone. As I mentioned in my introduction post in the Announcements forum I have been a lurker here for quite a while and signed up this week. I hope to be able to contribute to this community in the future like many of you already have. I have learned a great deal from this site and community, for that I am very thankful.

With that said, my birthday is in two weeks and my lovely wife has given me go ahead to "pull the trigger" on a new pistol. My purchase will become my "nice weather" CC weapon. Currently I carry a S&W 5906 most of the year. I truly love the way this gun feels and fires not to mention the great reliability. The only issue is when it is time for shorts and T-shirt weather. It just doesn't fit the part do to it's size and weight.

This week I went to a few shops and spent a few hours looking over possible candidates. My criteria are: 1.) 9mm, Must be small but not too small. I am 6'2", 175lbs with rather large hands. If my pinky dangles, it is not even an option. 2.) Must be thin, light and reliable. I would like to carry ITW with cargo shorts and a T-shirt. 3.) Would like it be out the door around $500.00 +/-

Here is my short list in order of choice:

1.) Kahr CW9
    2.) Glock 26
    3.) S&W M&P 9mm
    4.) Springfield XD Sub-compact 9mm

Thank you in advance for any advice or other options you may suggest.

Fess
    Last edited by Fess; June 2nd, 2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Updated info

(York County)

Default Re: Help selecting a new pistol (CCW)

Soberbyker had a CW9 he carried for a while. The gun let him down (I don't recall all the particulars), but for real world experiences, you could PM him.
    I like the steel Kahrs and owned an MK9 for 10 years. Nice, reliable gun, the MK9...too heavy for what I wanted though (which is why I sold it). No experience with the plastic Kahrs, but read some good, some bad about them.
    Anyway, contact Soberbyker...
    Last edited by RoyJackson; May 29th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.

(Bucks County)

I have a PM9 for summer concealed carry. Including the break-in period, never had a failure. I have small hands so the Kahr works well for me. The slim design of single stack 9's conceals very, very well.

I've shot a friend's M&P 40. Very different gun in their grip design and trigger pulls. A nice pistol for sure but I'd personally have a harder time concealing the M&P compared to any of the Kahrs.

I recommend go as 'small' as your hands permit to acheive the best summer concealment you're comfortable with.

Great info, thanks guys. Well to make things even more difficult on myself... I just got home from a friends place. He has a Kel-Tec FP-9. We talked about it for a while and I got his opinions. I got to hold it and even carry it around his house for a bit in his IWB holster. I gotta say, I like it. According to my friend, his major fault on the PF-9 is the trigger taking a while to get use to. In his words, "Once you master "prestaging the trigger it is very accurate weapon at appropriate range.. He also said he has about 900 rounds through it and it never gave him a FTF or jam. The price point is also very very good. Well, gotta love the good old USA and all of these great options we get I guess I have more to think about.

Fess

My wife owned an M&P 9c. I ended up liking it more than she did. It felt great in the hand, but I do prefer the feel of the full sized M&P 9. It was accurate and reliable, and was a nice gun to carry.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Westmoreland County)

Of your three, I would consider the Kahr.

(Chester County)

I would check out Troxells on Lycoming creek road...He always has good used stuff for sale. If you haven't already that is.

You should also be considering the type of holster/carry method that you want to use. Once you make that decision then see if it is available for the gun as well. Holsters are not cheap anymore and it does cost to experiment with different types.

Don't buy if it doesn't feel right.

I think a firearm is very much like a motorcycle. There are hundreds of different styles, sizes, makes and models. Each rider/shooter has a different anatomy and habits/preferences. You can't buy a motorcycle from a catalog or online. Neither can you buy a firearm that way. Don't be afraid to go from shop to shop and put your hands on it. Ask them for holsters, so you can check how it would be to carry one (if that is what you are looking for). Narrow down your search that way to a few guns as well as the dealers you'd like to deal with. Then ask to have a test ride or two.

When you finally made your choice, support your local dealer. Without him/her, you would have had to buy a cat in a bag. Haggling is okay, but keep in mind that most firearms dealers are a tremendously helpful and forthcoming bunch of people. Some seem to be the last of the Mahicans when it comes to the principle of do right by your customers (or how did that BadCO song go?)

JustmyunqualifiedtwocentsJan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Montgomery County)

Personally I would look for either a 3913/14 or a 3953. 8 rounds of 9 x 19. Slim, excellent grip and very easy to use, particularly as the 3953 is a DAO. Will only find them S/H as S&W stopped making them a while ago, but there are a number of "carried a lot, and shot a little" ones out there. Dave_n

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast