Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shots From Range Hit Near Md. Nuclear Plant

Professionals?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...703405_pf.html

Shots From Range Hit Near Md. Nuclear Plant

A statewide SWAT team exercise at a firing range on the secured grounds of a nuclear power plant in Southern Maryland was halted this month after stray bullets shattered glass and struck a command center near the plant's reactors, officials said yesterday.

Reactor safety at the Calvert Cliffs plant in Lusby was never compromised, according to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and Constellation Energy Group, which operates the facility. But Constellation closed the range, a popular training site for local law enforcement agencies, pending investigations by plant security and the Calvert County Sheriff's Office, which hosted the exercise.

At least five bullets escaped the firing range and traveled more than a half-mile before striking buildings and a vehicle near the reactors, according to the NRC, Constellation and the sheriff's office.

One struck the plant's "outage control center," which is used as a command area to orchestrate refueling efforts. Another hit an employee's sport-utility vehicle in the parking lot. Three others struck an office facility: Two of them hit the roof, and one shattered the outer pane of a first-floor window.

Employees were working in both buildings at the time, said Maureen Brown, a Constellation spokeswoman. The bullets did not penetrate either structure, she said.

"No one was injured. . . but it's our range and our responsibility, and we take this very seriously," Brown said. "We are investigating very thoroughly, and we're confident that no bullets left the plant property."

NRC spokeswoman Holly Harrington said the agency was briefed on the incident but was not conducting its own investigation. "This wasn't a [plant] safety or security issue, so we're really not involved," she said.

Firing ranges are common on the sprawling grounds of the nation's nuclear facilities, Harrington said. At Calvert Cliffs, the range is used about 200 days a year by plant security officers, who are tested regularly by commission auditors.

Brown said the range is used by county sheriff's deputies and is the site of a major annual SWAT exercise. "It's part of our community outreach to coordinate with local law enforcement," she said.

On May 14, SWAT officers from various police agencies were practicing on the plant's firing range, which is west of the reactors.

Officers from Calvert, Charles and Prince George's counties, Baltimore and the U.S. Marshals Service were working in teams of three practicing "room clearing" exercises, in which they try to quickly assess dangerous situations in small places and shoot while they are moving, said Lt. Steve Jones, commander of criminal investigations for the sheriff's office.

Typically, officers shoot southward, away from the plant, while on the firing range, but during the exercise, officers somehow fired eastward. The rounds cleared an almost 30-foot-high berm and flew about 3,400 feet before striking the two office buildings and the door of the parked SUV, Jones said.

He reiterated that the plant's reactors were never compromised. "Heck, you could take a gun and shoot right at the reactor from the outside" and still not cause significant damage, Jones said.

He called the incident a "training accident" and said a combination of "target placement [and] shooter error" probably was to blame. Investigators are conducting ballistics tests to determine which officer fired the stray shots.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Shots From Range Hit Near Md. Nuclear Plant

Interesting. I am assuming this happened at Peach Bottom.

I think its funny that this happened with the local SWAT team and not the plant's own security force considering the frequency by which they train.

I have never seen anything rival the security setup that a nuclear plant has. Having been to Peach Bottom and several other local nuke plants, I can tell you there would be no missing or getting by the resident security team in this post 9/11 security world.

(York County)

Peach Bottom isn't in Southern Maryland.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoomStick View Post
    Interesting. I am assuming this happened at Peach Bottom. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post
    Peach Bottom isn't in Southern Maryland.
    +1. Right in the article it says "Calvert Cliffs". Hopefully this link will work...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lusby,...image&resnum=1

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    +1. Right in the article it says "Calvert Cliffs". Hopefully this link will work...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lusby,...image&resnum=1

I guess I got a little excited because I was just at Peach Bottom a couple weeks ago.

(York County)

I guess I got a little excited because I was just at Peach Bottom a couple weeks ago.

If you use the link I posted, click on "satellite", and shift straight north, you can zoom right in on the plant.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    If you use the link I posted, click on "satellite", and shift straight north, you can zoom right in on the plant.
    Neat.

I wonder if this is the shooting range in question.

It appears to be a road that just ends in a secluded section with a backstop and a man made wall.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lusby,...h&z=18&iwloc=A

(York County)

Neat.

I wonder if this is the shooting range in question.

It appears to be a road that just ends in a secluded section with a backstop and a man made wall.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lusby,...h&z=18&iwloc=A

HA! Good spot! I was so into checking out the plant, and amazed that I could actually spot the transmission lines, that I never looked for the range.

That actually lines up pretty nicely (or, not!)

Holy shit....Lets let some cops without security clearances on federal nuke property so they can dress up, put their spurs on and play swat. This is fucking retarded.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jup06 View Post
    Holy shit....Lets let some cops without security clearances on federal nuke property so they can dress up, put their spurs on and play swat. This is fucking retarded.
    Why is it "retarded"?
    http://tinyurl.com/y6jhwkw CLICK TO DONATE I'm riding again in 2010!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast