Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Trigger issue?

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Trigger issue?

Okay, so I went out and fired 100 rounds through my Kahr MK9 for the first time night at Anthony's Arms in West Mifflin. Basically, everything went okay, no FTFs or FTEs, or anything. I did notice something odd about the trigger, though. Two times, after firing at least one round from the magazine (and having at least one more round to fire in the magazine), I relaxed my finger and heard the usual 'snap' indicating that the trigger had reset. When I went to fire, I didn't feel any tension on the trigger. I then released my finger entirely, and it was like the trigger properly reset. Like I said, this only happened 2x out of 100 rounds, and I'm not pushing the panic button here yet (in fact, I rather enjoyed shooting the gun!) but was wondering if anyone had ever experienced a similar issue?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Trigger issue?

When in doubt, have it looked at...it could be nothing...it could be an issue. Why take the chance? If you are mechanically inclined...take that bad boy apart and see what you see. Let me know what you find out.

(Berks County)

Sounds like it might just need a trigger job, or it could be a burr on one of the parts or something. Only way to find out is to open it up, or take it to a gunsmith.

BTW, how do you like the MK9 otherwise?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Sounds like it might just need a trigger job, or it could be a burr on one of the parts or something. Only way to find out is to open it up, or take it to a gunsmith.

BTW, how do you like the MK9 otherwise?
    Actually, it felt really good to shoot. I found it easier to plink away with the 7 round mag than the 6 (makes sense, more to grab on to.) Trigger pull is very smooth. I was shooting off to the right a little (but I think that was more b/c I wasn't lining up properly than anything on the gun itself.) As long as that small glitch isn't a big deal, I think it's a keeper. Also, breaking it down and cleaning/oiling it was pretty easy, too.

('Course, this is my first handgun, so take my opinions with a peck of salt....)

I think I'll run another 100-200 rounds thru it and then maybe take it back to Ace and see what they say.

EDIT: by the way, what does a trigger job usually involve?
    Last edited by Johannes_Paulsen; May 17th, 2007 at 09:36 AM.

(Delaware County)

FWIW, I just finished the official break-in for my P9 Covert and didn't experience anything like what you describe.

The length of the trigger pull had me pulling my hand to the right for a little while. Once I started concentrating more on pulling straight back, that problem disappeared too. Worth thinking about...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    Okay, so I went out and fired 100 rounds through my Kahr MK9 for the first time night at Anthony's Arms in West Mifflin. Basically, everything went okay, no FTFs or FTEs, or anything. I did notice something odd about the trigger, though. Two times, after firing at least one round from the magazine (and having at least one more round to fire in the magazine), I relaxed my finger and heard the usual 'snap' indicating that the trigger had reset. When I went to fire, I didn't feel any tension on the trigger.
    Kahr used to (and probably still does) require a 200 round break in period.

Why don't you run 200-300 rounds through the gun and see how it works then? I definitely would not do any trigger work until after that break in period. Even then, I'd call the factory (or talk to the shop you bought the gun at) prior to any work.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; May 17th, 2007 at 09:41 PM.