Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Minor car accident while CC

The other afternoon I was driving on a main street of a little town and slowed to a stop of an intersection waiting for a car to turn in front of me. Few seconds later I hear tires screeching very loud and I get rammed from behind.

So I pull over and the kid who hit me pulls right behind me. While we are looking for any damage, a local cop happened to be driving by and stopped in the middle of the road. I look at the cop and say hello. So the cop pulls in front of me, lights on, gets out to see what went down. To my amazement there was no damage to my car. The kid had a crack and some scratches in his front bumper. My car must be indestructable because this is the 2nd time I've been rear-ended without damage.

Less than a minute later a 2nd cop shows up. 1st cop is taking both of our info so we can swap incase something happens to my car later. 2nd cop questions kid that hit me. Kid starts giving him attitude when he asks him questions about the car's owner because he isn't the owner. Then a 3rd unmarked car shows up! That cop proceeds to question the kid. I guess this isn't the first time this kid has had an accident in this town with these cops.

SOOO... this whole time, from the beginning, no one knows I am carrying my sub-compact HK in an IWB holster at 9 o'clock. I had a golf shirt and cargo shorts on. I even laid down on the road to look underneath my rear bumper for any damage and it didn't show.

So 3 cops and the kid had no idea. I didn't see it necessary to tell anyone I was concealed carrying. This was also my first time CC'ing around LEO's or any incident with LEO's around. So did I do good? Anyway the cops were all nice to me. They said the kid would be receiving 2 citations that day. One for "following too closely" and the other related to his attitude. Then the 1st cop told me I could go and if I had any problems with my car to call them. Didn't know you could get citated for "attitude", LOL. BTW, I know how these local cops are and they are real jerks so I was suprised how nice they were to me. Guess it was because I was the victim. Just before leaving the scene I learned the kids brakes went out from hitting me and he couldn't drive the car from the side of the road where it all happened. I saw brake fluid on the road from his rear brakes. Haha, I guess that's justice enough. I am going to have a mechanic look underneath just to be sure when I'm in for an oil change this week.
    Last edited by HbgHKFan; May 26th, 2009 at 03:58 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Minor car accident while CC

Out of sight, out of mind.

You did fine.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Chester County)

So.....you don't have to let the LEO know you are carrying? I always thought you were supposed to let them know. Guess I was wrong on that one.

BTW, hope your car turns out to be just fine.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 64Jeeper View Post
    So.....you don't have to let the LEO know you are carrying? I always thought you were supposed to let them know. Guess I was wrong on that one.

BTW, hope your car turns out to be just fine.

Nope! sure don't.

(Cumberland County)

Yeah and after I left I thought to myself, "Gee, I must not be printing and doing a good job at concealing".

As for notifying the officer, only time I would deem it necessary would maybe be a traffic stop for speeding, etc. And even then, most on here say that's not even necessary. That seems like a gray area.

(Chester County)

Well, that's good to know. Learn something new every day.

(Pike County)

All's well that ends well. No one hurt, and no popo problems, sounds fine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HbgHKFan View Post
    As for notifying the officer, only time I would deem it necessary would maybe be a traffic stop for speeding, etc. And even then, most on here say that's not even necessary. That seems like a gray area.
    No gray areas: you just plain don't have to tell anyone you're carrying, ever. What makes it a calculated risk is that if the cops happen to notice your carry sometime during the encounter, they're likely to overreact. Especially if the conversation isn't cheerful at that moment.

(Monroe County)

good post, bummer you got hit, again. but everything went just the way its supposed to.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
    No gray areas: you just plain don't have to tell anyone you're carrying, ever.
    How about if officer asks, "Are there any weapons in the car?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast