Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default RUGER Security-Six

Hi all, I just found this sight and it seems like a great place for information.
    I purchased a nice stainless Ruger Security-Six today and I wanted anyone's thoughts and or tips on this particular double action revolver?
    Thanks...

Default Re: RUGER Security-Six

You probably want to get rid of it real fast, and seeing my wife would like that sized gun, I would probably take it off your hands

Actually a very nice gun, be sure when you strip it to clean you pay attention to how it goes back together.
    http://www.mek-schuetzen.de/Blueprin...y_Six_pic2.jpg is a pretty good diagram of it, but if you get a chance, write to Ruger and see if they still have the original diagrams and step sheets on how to disasssemble and assemble.

If its clean and well timed, it should work like a singer sewing machine.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

I have one in SS that I bought in 1988 and since day one has been one of my favorites. Never ever had one single issue with it.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...2-pistols.html

(Lebanon County)

I own 3 Ruger revolvers chambered in .357 magnum; stainless Ruger GP100 w/ 6" barrel circa 1996; stainless Ruger SP101 w/ 3" barrel circa 2006; stainless Ruger Security Six w/ 4" barrel circa 1982 (the Sec Six is my latest acquisition & I haven't fired it yet; it has Pachmayr Presentation grips that wrap the entire frame~very hand filling design that looks like a pair of bell bottom jeans)

last year I owned a blued Security Six w/ 4" barrel and a Hogue Monogrip that left the backstrap exposed; it had been 'polished' (probably to remove surface corrosion) and reblued...the bluing was even, but not a durable job...the bluing on the backstrap started thinning out from shooting and cleaning; the timing, action, and trigger were good, but I saw the 6" GP100 and lost interest in the Security Six

my experience is that they are well built, tough, and durable; before switching to Beretta 92's in 9mm, the Pennsylvania State Police used Ruger Security Six revolvers as their duty guns; I am trying to research which variants and the ammo specifications that they used;

BTW: speedloader...HKS Mk 3 is the designated one that works with Security Six

(Lebanon County)

Default RUGER Security-Six

I recently acquired a Ruger Security Six (stainless w/ 4" barrel); I remember overhearing in several conversations at local shops that the PA State Police used Ruger Security Six revolvers before switching to Beretta 92's in 9mm...

does anyone know which variant of the Security Six they issued and what the duty ammo was?

(Washington County)

I've used Winchester whitebox +p 38Sp wadcutters in my Police Service Six with great success, and used Blazer JHP with decent resul;ts, but like how the 38's group in this gun.

(Berks County)

I had a security six in the early eighties and I kick myself every time that I think about it. That was a great pistol and I really regret having sold it. You got yourself a good one there, hang on to, or you could sell it to me. I'm a LOT closer than Frenchy.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Thumbs up Re: RUGER Security-Six

I bought one in '76 in stainless with the 'liberty stamp' on it. It's the six inch model and is still one of my favorites. I shoot a lot of 38's in it.

if you get a chance, write to Ruger and see if they still have the original diagrams and step sheets on how to disasssemble and assemble.

You can download manuals from Ruger's website.

I helped test Speed 6s/Security 6s that were being considered for adoption by an LE agency. The spec said they had to go 10,000 rds of full magnums with no problems. All of the Rugers did and in tesing they were fired like you'd never fire yours. 500 rd strings at a time the guns were so hot you had to wear gloves. Cleaned every 500 rds and when you hit the barrel with Hoppes it sizzled off. The Rugers went to near 20,000 rd before one started to lose timing.

You can expect a lot of mileage out of that Ruger.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for all the great info.... I was on Ruger's sight and downloaded the complete manual..
    I am going out shortly to fire it for the first time.......
    Thanks again

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast