Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry In National Parks - Time Line

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    this 9 month activation has only been quoted by the VCDL, I have seen on other sites where it is suppose to take affect after the messiah signs it, I should add I have the upmost respect for Mr Van Clive, since the days of Packing.org. I also know he was the one and his organization who started the ball rolling originally on the Packing,org site way back ( long before most here heard of carrying concealed) I would like to see this implementation date from someone officially connected to the gov't.

sprat
    How's this? http://www.doi.gov/news/09_News_Releases/052209c.html

Date: May 22, 2009
    (202) 713-0827
    Interior Spokeswoman’s Statement on New Firearms Law for Parks and Refuges
    Provision will take effect in nine months
    WASHINGTON, D.C. – WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Department of the Interior spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff issued the following statement regarding the enactment of a new firearms law for national parks and wildlife refuges that will take effect in nine months:

“The Department of the Interior will follow Congress’s directive and implement the new firearms law, which states that its provisions will take effect nine months from today. For the time being, the current Reagan Administration regulations governing possession of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges remain in place. Under the current regulation, firearms are generally prohibited, but citizens may transport unloaded and dismantled or cased firearms and carry firearms while participating in approved hunting programs and under certain other circumstances. “As Interior prepares to implement the new law, the Department will work to understand and interpret its implications for our national parks and wildlife refuges, with public safety and the safety of our employees as our foremost consideration. Because possession of loaded weapons on national parks and wildlife refuges will be governed by varying state firearms laws once the new law is implemented, the Department will provide guidance to the more than 24,000 professionals who manage our parks and refuges and the more than 310 million people who visit our parks and refuges each year.”
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

(Berks County)

Thanks for that update. I was unaware that this was not effective yet. On a recent trip through Shenandoah, I saw the signs at the entrance to Skyline Drive but thought they were "dated" or just there to continually discourage or as a blatant disregard for the new law. My bad huh?
    What angers me is that on that same trip, we were heading down to Cherokee Nat Forrest for a backwoods camping trip and ended up at the TVA campground /public use area where they posted "no firearms" but when I paid for my camp site the guy said "Good to see you got a dog with you, we've been having a real bear problem around here lately. We got a 700# boar up on the hill and a 400# sow with a couple of cubs that have been hanging around. If they show up get your dog to tree him and I'll call the boss to see if we can put some buckshot in him!" Is he for real??? Cause I'm thinking that rug is gonna have 14 holes in it when I empty my 45 in that bear-Yeah I'll call you pal right after the dog trees him Well guess what, the bear did drop in on us 2 nights in a row. We never saw it but it was only maybe 20 yards from the tent, crashing and snaping the trees. I grabbed my gun and woke up the dog (he's amazing!) worked up the stones to get out of the tent and was able to scare off the bear by yelling and getting the dog wound up and barking. So I challenge someone to give me one reason why I shouldn't be allowed to carry especially in the wilderness where the threat is real not Yogi and Boo Boo and there is no cell reception and "Ranger Smith" is off looking for "pickanic baskets"

(Lancaster County)

I just can't wrap my head over the fact that at NATIONAL PARKS I still need state permission to carry concealed or OC for my own protection. Here I am in in Stanislaw national forest and the adirondacks and I need to adhere to the carry laws of Cali and NY.... That is just ludicrius.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12