Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default What kind of gun is he talking about ??????

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Philly police seize guns, $1.4M in marijuana

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Philadelphia police and the FBI are investigating a house where officers found an arsenal of automatic weapons and a seven-foot safe that took two days to open and yielded $1.4 million worth of marijuana.

Police say they went to the house when someone reported seeing a break-in Friday, found the door open and saw shotguns, handguns and assault weapons inside.

Police removed the nearly 6,000-pound vault on a flatbed truck. Once open, it yielded about 300 pounds of marijuana packed into solid blocks and wrapped in plastic. Investigators don't know how many people were involved in the drug operation.

One weapon seized is a World War II-vintage, German-made rifle that can fire 800 rounds a minute. Deputy Commissioner William Blackburn says police officers' body armor "doesn't stand a chance" against such weapons.

Can someone tell me what German gun from WWII could fire 800 rounds a minute ??? Machine gun maybe

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: What kind of gun is he talking about ??????

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    One weapon seized is a World War II-vintage, German-made rifle that can fire 800 rounds a minute. Deputy Commissioner William Blackburn says police officers' body armor "doesn't stand a chance" against such weapons.

Can someone tell me what German gun from WWII could fire 800 rounds a minute ??? Machine gun maybe
    It says rifle, which makes me think StG 44. But given how little reporters tend to know about these things, it could be anything fully-auto from that era. The 800 RPM figure is suspicious, AFAIK only machine guns could do that.
    Last edited by Philbert; May 20th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Philly police seize guns, $1.4M in marijuana

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Philadelphia police and the FBI are investigating a house where officers found an arsenal of automatic weapons and a seven-foot safe that took two days to open and yielded $1.4 million worth of marijuana.

Police say they went to the house when someone reported seeing a break-in Friday, found the door open and saw shotguns, handguns and assault weapons inside.

Police removed the nearly 6,000-pound vault on a flatbed truck. Once open, it yielded about 300 pounds of marijuana packed into solid blocks and wrapped in plastic. Investigators don't know how many people were involved in the drug operation.

13 rnds a sec, sounds like early FA.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    It says rifle, which makes me think StG 44. But given how little reporters tend to know about these things, it could be anything fully-auto from that era.
    And knowing Philly's police and the media, it could be an airsoft gun or demil'd replica.

(Susquehanna County)

Weighting at 26.7lbs (12.1kgs) the MG34 was lightweight in standards of 1930s. Designed by German Rheinmetall company the weapon consisted of bipod, quick-exchangeable air-cooled barrel, wooden stock and receiver assembly with pistol grip. It had also optional field tripods that allowed it to be used in either sustained fire role with extended effective range (tripod MG Lafette 34) or in anti-aircraft role (tripod Dreibein 34, pictured at right). For anti-aircraft role MG34 was also supplied with special anti-aircraft sight. MG34 mechanism was recoil operated selective fire action and it’s rate of fire was notoriously high at 900 rounds per minute. Ammunition feeding options consisted of easily distinguishable drum-shaped 50-round belt carrier, beltless 75-round drum magazine and field ammunition boxes containing linked 50-round belts that totaled 250 rounds in one box.

even a BAR can only handle 550 rnds per minute