Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Reloading ?s

(Chester County)

Default Reloading ?s

whats the cheapest way to go about reloading, and is it worth it? i just bought an AR15 and i can tell im going to be going trough TONS of ammo. ive always thought about reloading but never started. i saw some reloaders at cabelas that were around 500$. seems like it would take a while to start saving money from that.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Reloading ?s

It'll take several thousand rounds or so to cancel out the initial investment.

The true reasons to reload are:
    1. to have another hobby
    2. to have custom tailored loads for your given firearms

If you compare reloading to cheap bulk mil-surp ammo, there is only fractions of a cent in price difference. Once you pay for powder, primers, brass, slugs and then figure in time investment and tumbling media - the costs come close to bulk pop-can ammo.

You can get cheaper setups. $500 is kinda steep.. Unless you need all the bells and whistles.

If you are going to shoot a lot, I'd go straight to a turret or progressive press. You will crank out a lot more ammo compared to a single stage.

Most seasoned reloaders will normally recommend starting out with a single stage and learning how to reload. Upgrading later on down the road, but if you know you are going to reload a bunch of ammo, you will want something faster.

I personally own a single stage for my rifle calibers and a progressive for my pistol and .223.

Plenty of people own the inexpensive Lee reloading equipment, but I went with RCBS and Hornady LNL AP. Cabela's carries Lee, RCBS, Redding, Hornady. What I like about Hornady is that they are offering "free" bullets with a purchase of one of their presses.

When I started researching for reloading products, I considered Lee based on price point. What I realized was that Lee products feel cheap compared to RCBS, Hornady, Dillon presses. All the big name reloading companies offer outstanding warranties, so your equipment will outlast you.

Make sure you also buy good reloading manuals because you will need them. I'd even recommend buying multiple reloading manuals. What I do is I will buy the reloading manuals from bullet makers. I LOVE Hornady products, so naturally I buy their reloading manual. I will also buy manuals from powder manufacturers as well. Since I use Varget for my rifles, I have information from Hodgdon.

People always talk about reloading to save money. While you will save money, it's more about tailoring a load to your specific weapon. Saving money means nothing if your accuracy sucks...so keep that in mind. Buying in bulk will save you a lot of money. Especially if you can get some people together and buy 10k or more at a time.

I use a bare-bones Lee Single-Stage press. I do load .223 but it is usually available in bulk that it is not worth the hassle.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
    I use a bare-bones Lee Single-Stage press. I do load .223 but it is usually available in bulk that it is not worth the hassle.
    True....I shoot a lot of Wolf for close range fun.

.223 can also be stuck case hell when fired out of a 5.56 chamber. I've loaded thousands of .223 and you have to lube carefully. To make matters worse, case volume differs greatly with headstamp and you need to make sure you don't over pressure.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Dauphin County)

In my case..it is reload or shoot alot less. I can't afford to drop alot of money on a large supply of bulk ammo but I can afford to drop little amounts on powder, primers, and bullets(over time) til I have enough on hand to load thousands. Can't find the ammo I want at the local store..never a problem. The ammo dries up due to political situations or supplier? Not here. I can think of a few extra reasons to get into the hobby of reloading.

I own a single stage and it does 10x my loading work for dozens of pistol and rifle but when I'm cracking out serious amounts for an AR or a 45ACP then it is all Dillon doing the dirty deed!