Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Clarification of rule: "Hateful Content", slurs

Some time ago I received a ban for "Hateful Content: Inflammatory" on the basis of this post-- http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/44...tml#post566116 --where I used the term "sp*c" in an attempt to highlight what I viewed as the racist criminal justice system in Bethlehem.

However, in this thread-- http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/59...n-members.html --the word "n*gger" is being used without censorship in the context of discussing the offensiveness of the term.

Now, I'm not complaining about my warning since the points have expired and it is now moot, nor am I suggesting the mods start issuing bans/infractions on the current thread, but I do think these contrasting situations warrant a clarification on the rules. Specifically I am asking are racial slurs prohibited and warranting a ban regardless of context or can they be permitted if they are used in a non-hateful academic and/or anti-racist context? Personally, I'm fine with it either way, I don't really care, but I do think we should all know what the rule is so that members can avoid violating it and moderators can enforce it consistently and fairly.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

Default Re: Clarification of rule: "Hateful Content", slurs

This is the way these guys work over here.

And I also see that you paid money to get your little sliver membership thing?

Waste.

Now you know.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    This is the way these guys work over here.

And I also see that you paid money to get your little sliver membership thing?

Waste.

Now you know.
    Chill. I have no doubt there have been unfair moderator decisions here-- they happen on every internet forum-- but I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion/argument about that b/c it will be pointless. I just want a clarification on the rules.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

One of my favorte lines of all time on this board has the word "spick" in it.

"someone must've called in a spic with a gun" ~ Jahwarrior

I specifically didn't want my thread to turn into anything bad or hateful. I still don't think it did.

I think all us "white devils" are confused as to what is "cool" to say and what makes you a redneck cracker racist.

I'm not a mod so I can't make the call but I think open discussion about a commonly used term is a bit different that using slang to refer to a speficic person.

I personally hate censorship and don't think anything should be off limits but hey, I'm one of those crazy patriots the news warns you about.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    One of my favorte lines of all time on this board has the word "spick" in it.

"someone must've called in a spic with a gun" ~ Jahwarrior

I specifically didn't want my thread to turn into anything bad or hateful. I still don't think it did.

I think all us "white devils" are confused as to what is "cool" to say and what makes you a redneck cracker racist.

I'm not a mod so I can't make the call but I think open discussion about a commonly used term is a bit different that using slang to refer to a speficic person.

I personally hate censorship and don't think anything should be off limits but hey, I'm one of those crazy patriots the news warns you about.
    Perhaps so, but no rationale was given to me at the time of the infraction. I PMed the mod explaining I thought the anti-racist context in which I used the term was not a violation of the rules on "hateful content" as written and I believe I also requested clarification on whether racial slurs were prohibited under all circumstances, regardless of context (and that I had nothing against that as a rule, but ti would be nice to know). However, I never received a response. Given the discussion in your thread (and I have no doubt you had no bad intentions in creating it) I thought it was appropriate that I should again ask for a clarification, this time publicly.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    Perhaps so, but no rationale was given to me at the time of the infraction. I PMed the mod explaining I thought the anti-racist context in which I used the term was not a violation of the rules on "hateful content" as written and I believe I also requested clarification on whether racial slurs were prohibited under all circumstances, regardless of context (and that I had nothing against that as a rule, but ti would be nice to know). However, I never received a response. Given the discussion in your thread (and I have no doubt you had no bad intentions in creating it) I thought it was appropriate that I should again ask for a clarification, this time publicly.
    Fair enough.

Eagerly awaiting clarification from the "higher powers"

(York County)

I've been knuckle cracked twice since I've been a member here. ( Hard to believe huh?) The first one was by a mod who I respect and believe to be a good person, but think he read a little too much into the post. No big deal. The other one was triggered by one of our whiners complaining to a mod, who then had to do something I guess. These are JMHO. I'm not complaining about either one. I posted this because I think a lot of the infractions are the circumstances at the time, and how the Mod sees it at that time. What I'm saying is that I don't think there is a set in concrete way to enforce everything. That's why Dan picks his Mods carefully.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Philadelphia County)

Previous section edited as I made an error which was brought to my attention.

I posted this because I think a lot of the infractions are the circumstances at the time, and how the Mod sees it at that time. What I'm saying is that I don't think there is a set in concrete way to enforce everything.
    Generally I agree, but I think this instance justifies a rule clarification. If the rule is that racial slurs are prohibited in any context and subject to a ban, that's easy enough to clarify. If it's that racial slurs may be appropriate in some non-racist contexts and will be considered on a case-by-case basis, that's a bit more complicated but at least we know there's some wiggle room there.

If it's the latter and a mod or admin wants to PM me to explain why my post was considered a violation of the rules and the others in the thread I linked to aren't, that's fine but I don't expect it as the issue for me is now moot. Just knowing whether or not slurs are prohibited regardless of context is fine for me.
    Last edited by Eugene V. Debs; May 20th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.

(Cambria County)

I was informally warned for my conduct in this thread...starting with this post: http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/51...tml#post647727

I'd honestly like some clarification as well, if any can be had, just for future reference. In that instance, even though it wasn't an offical infraction, just the threat of one, I argued with the MOD, whom I happen to not only respect, but like, to no avail. I think that's going a little too far, especially considering some of the other stuff that is allowed to go on...BUT it's not my house, so I don't get to bend the rules to my quirks and whims (or my sensibilities). Such is life on the Intranets.

(Montgomery County)

the way i look at it is in context, how its being used...

Since text is a inflectionless medium, in general, if you want to avoid getting tagged for something like:

"Hateful Content: Inflammatory", which is what the infraction you got was, its best to merely explain yourself better, or in another way.

your statement about the defendant being hit hard in court because he was a "spic with a knife" could more easily have been described as a "latino male with a knife" and avoided the racial slur (even though you used it in a disparaging way towards how the local the justice system views the defendant, not directed at the defendant himself.)

if a racial slur is being DISCUSSED, but not being DIRECTED at a poster, or being used to stir something up against a race, or start racial trouble, I dont see an infraction being issued, generally.

merely typing a slur, or discussing it is not the infraction... its the context in which its being used.

In general, the Admins and Mods will strike hard and fast on racial slurs, and derogatory racial comments, as the discussions drag all the racist knuckledragging monobrows out from under their rocks... and we wont tolerate it.

again, if an infraction is issued, you can ALWAYS contact the Mod who issued it, and explain your case, infractions can be reversed.

but basically, THINK before posting, try to view your post as being read by another person, and maybe be more tactful.

dont look for "wiggle room" in the rules, if in doubt, DON'T.
    Last edited by JayBell; May 21st, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast