Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Talking Congress Approves Bill Restricting Credit Card Industry, Allowing Guns in Parks

Linky >>> http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...est=latestnews

The new measures would enact new restrictions on the credit card industry, including a requirement that customers penalized by higher interest rates because they missed a payment are given a chance to reclaim their lower rate after six months.

The House voted Wednesday to join the Senate in approving sweeping restrictions on the credit card industry, as well as an unrelated measure, which the House passed separately, to allow loaded guns in parks.

The House approved the credit card overhaul measures by a vote of 361-64. Those measures would enact new restrictions on the industry, including a requirement that customers penalized by higher interest rates because they missed a payment are given a chance to reclaim their lower rate after six months.

The other measure, to restore a Bush administration policy allowing loaded guns in national parks, had been pushed by conservative Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., who persuaded the Senate to add it to its version of the credit card legislation.

The Senate bill put House Democrats in a tough spot, since they effectively were forced to vote against gun control Wednesday in order to avoid kicking the bill back to the other chamber again. (The House and Senate must approve the same bill.)

House Democrats, though, engineered a delicate legislative maneuver to extend anti-gun Democrats a chance to go on record against the amendment without torpedoing the overall bill. They did this by holding two votes: one for the credit card end of things, one for the firearms portion. This gave anti-gun members political cover by allowing them to vote against the gun measure and for the credit card bill.

But since the gun measure passed, by a vote of 279-147, it nevertheless gets attached to the main bill and becomes law if President Obama signs it. He is expected to do so Friday.

Despite objections from many Democrats over the firearms measure, 105 House Democrats voted in favor of it. On the Senate side, 27 Democrats voted to expand gun rights.

Among those who voted "yes" was Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, who had blocked Coburn's amendment from coming to the Senate floor for more than a year. Seven other Western Democrats voted with Reid to support the Republican senator's amendment, which allows a range of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges as long as they are allowed by federal, state and local law.

Spokesman Jim Manley said Reid is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, adding that the guns in parks issue was a major concern for many Nevadans.

Meanwhile, the credit card portion is aimed at addressing consumer concerns.

The new restrictions would protect debt-ridden consumers from many of the surprise charges common in the industry, like over-the-limit fees and a charge to pay the bill by phone.

Some of the changes, including a requirement that cardholders receive 45-days' notice before their rates are raised, are already on track to take effect in July 2010 under new regulations by the Federal Reserve.

But the legislation would put these changes into law and go further in restricting when and how banks charge people and who could get a card.

For example, the bill would require people under 21 to prove first that they can repay the money or that a parent or guardian is willing to pay off their debt if they default.

As banks scramble to make up for the lost revenue, cardholders who pay off their balance in full each month could also see annual fees become the norm and lucrative rewards programs canceled.

On the plus side for consumers, card holders who see their interest rate skyrocket because they have been late on a payment would get a chance at their older, lower rate if they pay their bill on time each month for six months.

FOX News' Chad Pergram and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Congress Approves Bill Restricting Credit Card Industry, Allowing Guns in Parks

I hate these back door bills , but am very happy this will finally be law .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Default Re: Congress Approves Bill Restricting Credit Card Industry, Allowing Guns in Parks

Quote Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
    I hate these back door bills , but am very happy this will finally be law .
    Yeah, so do I but this is one time I'm happy there is no line item veto. Heard the news on NPR driving home and the rest of the ride was much nicer.

(Jefferson County)

For once, a backdoor measure that works for us and doesn't cost us tax payers money. Hopefully O signs it..

(Franklin County)

Any word on when this takes effect?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Yeah, so do I but this is one time I'm happy there is no line item veto. Heard the news on NPR driving home and the rest of the ride was much nicer.
    you really listen to NPR?

I wouldn't dance in the streets yet. This is a win for gun owners, certainly, but it may potentially be a loss for responsible credit card holders. I haven't looked at the final version of the bill-now-law, but the few things I remember from looking at it in the past and some things I've read about it today give me pause.

It's not always just about guns.

See also: Pyrrhic Victory

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    I wouldn't dance in the streets yet. This is a win for gun owners, certainly, but it may potentially be a loss for responsible credit card holders. I haven't looked at the final version of the bill-now-law, but the few things I remember from looking at it in the past and some things I've read about it today give me pause.

It's win -win for me!!

I don't, and never will have a CC.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    It's win -win for me!!

I don't, and never will have a CC.
    +1

Debit card with a Visa number works just fine for most purchases. No interest rate, late charges, etc.

If I don't have money I usually don't need the item right away. Just living within my means. And without all those charges I end up with more money anyway.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post

Yep , we have already discussed cutting them up when this becomes law.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast