Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Those threads that dont quite say...

We have all seen them, those threads that don’t quite say enough..
    This thread is aimed at the newer people here, but can serve the older people well.
    We write and read here pretty well every day most of us, some get almost all their education here and it is a great place to get that information, but only if you do your part.
    You also probably want to respect peoples opinions and think in their experiance and budget.
    Last PMSC shoot jsb889 got to try shooting 12G from the shoulder, from the hip and I think with a bit more persuasion he could have shot it one handed…
    He did not get hurt, he even shot a slug, and believe it or not, he might have questioned home defense with a shotgun before, but trying is believing, when you can see a target come to pieces at 40 feet shot from the hip, then try it, you can pretty well see that if you practice it long enough, it will work.

Well, when I said on here once that in a house that is usually less then 40 feet long, it would be hard to miss a target the size of a man, he now understands it.
    Wan no Belelli, was no crimson trace laser, was just man and gun, and lots of holes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    Also yea, great learning experience, I figured out Frenchy really is a genius he just hides it well.
    its no paper experiance, I cant say i gunsmith, I dont, I tinker, but i had a good teacher. I listened and I practiced. Believe it or not, there was a time while I was in Quebec I was making more cleaning and tuning guns then my regular machinist job...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    I'll 2nd that. I'm gonna have to become his apprentice on trigger mods
    Could happen some day, I am sure there are more competent people here, Woody comes to mind. There is a differance between a gun smith and a plumber in the gun sense. (plumber in the gun term is a gun cleaner and tuner)

I cant say how happy I am to see aubie515 come back here, he is probably one of the better info guys out there as far as free advice. Mind you, like any of us, he does need some info before he can give out his experience.

I want to buy a rifle, what should I get?
    Well what did you want a rifle for? Give us some info, hunting, target, protection…
    TYPICAL response, not ignorant, just to the point, buying a gun is like buying a car, would you buy a convertible Vette to go cross country driving in the woods?
    Would you buy a Hummer to save gas? Same applies here, we cant decide for you what to apply the gun need to, I could respond well buy a 30-30 Winchester its great for deer hunting, but if you are looking for precision and distance it might not fit the bill. I could respond buy a 300 win mag.. But if your problem is getting rid of squirrels, it might not be cost efficient, not to mention your neighbors might get nervous…

What calibers are you interested in? What price range? What action? Wood or synthetic? Conventional, assault, modern, C&R, domestic, foreign center fire, rim fire, air.. ?
    Many times we get posts and the first 5 post after are questions asking for more info.

Its not that the people are trying to be smart, just that they have info, but need to know if the info is what you are looking for.
    The other thing is the more you qualify your first phrase in the post, the more the people responding will know how to answer to your level of knowledge.

Example, if you say “I need a 9mm carbine that will take a Glock mag.” Your chance of getting a good response is better then saying “Any ideas on rifle/ pistol mag?”

There is no “Best” rifle or pistols when it comes to firearms. There is Cost, there is Accuracy, there is Comfort, there is Quality, there is Capacity… but there is no “Best” Sure one could argue this all day long, S&W is better then Ruger, Colt is better then S&W and so on, but that involves a lot of pinion”.

Opinion is good when you get to specifics. Not when you are trying to get general ideas.

If you ask some one their opinion on some thing like Glock VS. XD, Sigma, S&W and company you will get the general I have this and it’s the best…

If you ask for a reliable gun under $350, you might get a completely different answer.

There are basically 3 types of threads here,
    • The basic info post, where you probably want to get the most information for your personal use.
    • The informed post, where you are looking for information to support the basic post,
    • And there is the general post where you are looking for any info on a broad scale and or are just posting ideas and opinions out.

Example to a basic post:
    I am 21 and I am looking for a first hand gun, what should I try?

TRY? Well not your saying your not buying, you want to try, you will probably get a response that says go to a gun club that rents guns, try to join in with an outing like the one at PMSC. See in this situation, you specify trying not buying.

Example to an informed post, you now tried the Glock, but the M&P fits you better. Mind you, there was only 9mm where you went. So now you want to know more on these.

“I am looking for more info on the 9mm and .40 .45 versions of Glock, XD, S&W type pistols… Who can lead me to more info on these in the XYZ County?”

See now, you won’t hear about revolvers or .22 .32 and all that stuff because you are more informed, and you show it in your post.

Then there is the general post.
    “ I went to the shoot in Allegheny the other day, I met a bunch of people there, they had all sorts of guns, I got to try many of them, not sure what I want yet, but Ill be at the next shoot and might make a decision then… “

Now you’re talking anything and every thing including guns cars politics, events, sports…
    Can you see how, based on how you start your thread, the discussion can differ?

When you post, try and get the most out of your post, then look at your post and the response to it, there is nothing like some one posting and never being seen again.

We are all here to help each other, but we can only do that if we understand each other.
    Have fun, and enjoy reading what is given as info, its not just opinions out there, there are actually some pretty informed people in the group. Some even have signatures with info in them.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Berks County)

Default Re: Those threads that dont quite say...

Hey Frenchy,

Great thread! Would this thread be a good example of a "BLOGOPOTAMUS" (a long long blog post)? Just kidding!

Take care,

Rand

P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I dont know, but its a good thing he doesnt work for the klintun group (spellling intentional) or the Brady bunch...
    .....that recent post from you to me, really made my day, thanks!
    Last edited by dnar; May 15th, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rand View Post
    Hey Frenchy,

Great thread! Would this thread be a good example of a "BLOGOPOTAMUS" (a long long blog post)? Just kidding!

Take care,

Rand
    Problem is, i need lots of words to get my idea across, wait till i start making drawings, then you can start to worry. Generally, ppl who meet me find me fairly quiet Maybe thats cause When they meet me, im busy eating or shootin!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Problem is, i need lots of words to get my idea across, wait till i start making drawings, then you can start to worry. Generally, ppl who meet me find me fairly quiet Maybe thats cause When they meet me, im busy eating or shootin!
    ... or shoving revolvers with hair-triggers into people's hands!
    Here... try THIS!
    Here... try THIS!

Kidding. Thanks for letting me shoot those wheelguns Frenchy!

And yes, at the group shoot on Sunday, Frenchy was too busy eating, shooting or helping to go on and on like he sometimes does here! HeHe!

OH! and regarding the subject of this post...
    Yes, please give a little background/intended usage info when asking questions...
    it will get you the answers that will help you rather than confusing you more!

example:
    Q: What should I eat?

or

Q: I'm freakin' STARVING! I hate fish and I'm tired of pizza... what would you suggest I do for lunch? I can have it delivered or take my car and go get it. I only have $5.00

See what I'm saying?
    Last edited by Emptymag; May 15th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Hey Frenchy,

I would bet that if I ever have the opportunity to meet you, I would really like you!

Take care,

Rand

P.S. I look forward to seeing your drawings!

Frenchy..thank you for the post.

Looking forward to meeting you one day, eh, if I ever make it to PA and get to stay for more than two days standing in the hot sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Lawrence County)

Generally, ppl who meet me find me fairly quiet Maybe thats cause When they meet me, im busy eating or shootin!
    Agreed. First time I met Frenchy he withstood 45 minuted at 7 degrees to shoot ONE round of Skeet....with his pump gun......with only half the lights working.

I'll watch out for the pics......

Lycaniwastooproudtosayicouldntfeelmyhandsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.