Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: good carry gun

(Delaware County)

Default good carry gun

well I got my ltcf about 2 weeks ago. I been carrying a taurus 85 but I want to go semi for more round count I'm going to pick up a new gun on thurday I was thinking about either xd 3'' or xd 4 '' both in 9mm or a glock 19 I have a friend that had a xd 3'' and he said that it is all over the target because of the small barrel but what do u guys think wick one to pick

(Berks County)

Default Re: good carry gun

I CC a Glock 19. I used to carry a Springfield XD9 (4") for years. I recently came across a deal on a brand new G19 with a slew of accessories for a very cheap price. Jumped the gun (no pun intended) and picked it up. After going to the range with both one day the G19 just seemed to fit me better...plus I was more accurate with it right out of the box. So I sold my XD9 and haven't looked back since. I recently picked up a PT 1911 and have carried it a few times but I just don't like the weight of it for everyday carry. It's more of a personal preference than anything.

The G19 & XD9 are almost identical with just slight differences. Basically it all comes down to prefference in the end and which one you feel more comfortable with. My suggestion is if you have friends with either gun go to the range with them. If not then go to a range that will allow you to rent both and see which one feels more comfortable and accurate. I never thought I would give up my XD9 until I shot my G19.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by allananthony84 View Post
    well I got my ltcf about 2 weeks ago. I been carrying a taurus 85 but I want to go semi for more round count I'm going to pick up a new gun on thurday I was thinking about either xd 3'' or xd 4 '' both in 9mm or a glock 19 I have a friend that had a xd 3'' and he said that it is all over the target because of the small barrel but what do u guys think wick one to pick
    Your friend just has poor techniques. Guns don't just jump all over the targets, just as they don't jump up and shoot people. It's easier to blame the gun than the shooter. Don't get me wrong, smaller guns are more difficult to control, but once you tame the recoil, a 3" will shoot just as well as a 4" at shorter/common handgun target distances.

Al

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Your friend just has poor techniques. Guns don't just jump all over the targets, just as they don't jump up and shoot people. It's easier to blame the gun than the shooter. Don't get me wrong, smaller guns are more difficult to control, but once you tame the recoil, a 3" will shoot just as well as a 4" at shorter/common handgun target distances.
    Agreed.

My rational side says to go with whichever you are more comfortable with while shooting (this means try both out, if you can). My preference, however, is the GLOCK 19.

Pick whichever one you like. Both are fine guns.

As for sub-compacts, they can be harder to shoot well. But it's far from impossible. Takes good training in the basics, and practice.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Delaware County)

thanks for the info guys .. want out today and got a xd9 3" bi-tone a local gun shop had one used for a good price and he had reconds for the xd guy bought it new on 4/20/09 so its not that old a all.

(Philadelphia County)

If you want a 9mm for carry, i'd look at the Glock 26.

I plan on getting a 27 which is the same gun in .40 S&W.