Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SAVAGE 17HMR HELP

i have a savage 93r17 .17hmr, i took the bolt out to clean the barrel, now i cant get the bolt back in. the bolt spins separate from the handle, i never noticed that before, is that supposed to happen? i have removed the bolt numerous times, this is the first problem.
    FJB

Default Re: SAVAGE 17HMR HELP

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    i have a savage 93r17 .17hmr, i took the bolt out to clean the barrel, now i cant get the bolt back in. the bolt spins separate from the handle, i never noticed that before, is that supposed to happen? i have removed the bolt numerous times, this is the first problem.
    This isn't a problem with the rifle, it's common on ALL savage rifles. They have a "floating bolt head" . It's actually a fabulous design that allows something to always be blocking the bolt raceways in th event of a blown primer or explosion in the action. It keeps metal in the raceway so that gas or metal would never be directed back to your face. It's nothing at all to be concerned about or that is a flaw, just align them and slide it in. That's how it's designed to be .

(Monroe County)

I don't know if you got it in yet but on the underside of the bolt there is a channel. Just align the channel on the front and back halves and your good to go. Just be careful not to spin the bolt too far out of line or the bolt will come apart and you could loose pieces...

thanks guys, about five minutes after i posted it i figured it out. i had no idea the bolt was built like that, after all the times i removed it i must have never noticed it.
    FJB

Glad to see that you got it fixed bogey. Yeah, the bolts on all Savage rifles are made that way with the floating bolt head. When you removed it in the past, the might have just stayed together and that's why you never noticed it. It's a heck of a design.