Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    (Potter County)

Default Re: Open carry and what you should know before you do it

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post

As far as the kid thing goes, .......

I have been trying to get a logical answer almost since I started posting on this forum, and have yet to receive one. I ask as a person who really has a soft spot for kids. I am the most protective person I know when it comes to little ones, my own, or anyone else's, and I can't imagine what goes through some people's minds when a gun is simply present and it isn't on a cop.

I guess I'll keep looking...
    If I may offer a possible explanation. Think of it this way - you;re out in the woods, maybe hunting, maybe just taking a walk and enjoying the outdoors. But you encounter a bear. Now normally this would be no big deal. The bear woul dlikely be aware of your presence long before you were aware of it and both of you would go on your separate ways.

However, if that is a sow bear with a cub or cubs (children) - then the encounter may not be quite as pleasant. It could even turn out to be quite dangerous - to you.

Same thing with a moose and many other wild animals. Same thing with more than a few domesticated animals.

It's the same kind of thing with humans. It is 100% natural for all of us to be overly protective of children. There is no other thing in the world that will elicit a faster and more widespread response than a call of - child in danger. Total strangers will respond instantly and agressively, very agressively. They will instantly be willing to literally give their lives in order to protect the child that they don't even know.

Now to you and me, and most other members of this forum - seeing somebody carrying a gun whether openly or concealed is no big deal. But it is a cold hard fact that the general public does not see it this way. They see someone who is not a LEO with a gun and they become quite nervous. Now if it is a situation where there is no one around but adults, then they may be nervous but will likely not do or say anything.

But let children enter into that situation and the protect the young at all cost instinct immediately jumps to the forefront. And that being nervous can quickly escalate into almost anything.

I guess bottom line there just isn't any explanation other than to say that it is animal and human nature to become overly protective when the young and/or children are present. It's instinctual, not something that is learned or conditioned.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GDJMSP View Post
    Now to you and me, and most other members of this forum - seeing somebody carrying a gun whether openly or concealed is no big deal. But it is a cold hard fact that the general public does not see it this way. They see someone who is not a LEO with a gun and they become quite nervous.
    Can you prove this? It's not a cold hard fact.
    What is a cold hard fact is there are alot of people with alot of different perspectives on things.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GDJMSP View Post
    If I may offer a possible explanation. Think of it this way - you;re out in the woods, maybe hunting, maybe just taking a walk and enjoying the outdoors. But you encounter a bear. Now normally this would be no big deal. The bear woul dlikely be aware of your presence long before you were aware of it and both of you would go on your separate ways.

However, if that is a sow bear with a cub or cubs (children) - then the encounter may not be quite as pleasant. It could even turn out to be quite dangerous - to you.

Same thing with a moose and many other wild animals. Same thing with more than a few domesticated animals.

It's the same kind of thing with humans. It is 100% natural for all of us to be overly protective of children. There is no other thing in the world that will elicit a faster and more widespread response than a call of - child in danger. Total strangers will respond instantly and agressively, very agressively. They will instantly be willing to literally give their lives in order to protect the child that they don't even know.

Now to you and me, and most other members of this forum - seeing somebody carrying a gun whether openly or concealed is no big deal. But it is a cold hard fact that the general public does not see it this way. They see someone who is not a LEO with a gun and they become quite nervous. Now if it is a situation where there is no one around but adults, then they may be nervous but will likely not do or say anything.

But let children enter into that situation and the protect the young at all cost instinct immediately jumps to the forefront. And that being nervous can quickly escalate into almost anything.

I guess bottom line there just isn't any explanation other than to say that it is animal and human nature to become overly protective when the young and/or children are present. It's instinctual, not something that is learned or conditioned.
    While the answer you give is logical, it doesn't address the real reasoning. You can not explain away the reactions as instinct because they apply only to people who are not uniformed police, and in almost every case, the gun carrier is approached first before the" OH NOEZ" start. The argument just doesn't work.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

thank you for the post i received a lot of info i will check it out.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
    thank you for the post i received a lot of info i will check it out.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is my nephew^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're welcome. Read up on the stuff I suggested and then come back with any questions you still have.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is my nephew^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're welcome. Read up on the stuff I suggested and then come back with any questions you still have.
    Poor kid.
    Damn 10 char rule!

(Monroe County)

I added a note to OC'ers who are under 21 and a link to Bigbear's negative OC'er encounter thread.

(Delaware County)

You might want to consider adding this link as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
    Although they make it clear that it is not legal advice, it has some excellent information on your right when stopped or approached by police. (if you can get over some of the scenarios) Hope this helps.
    Freedom's precious metals are gold, silver and lead!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuickdrawMcGraw View Post
    You might want to consider adding this link as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
    Although they make it clear that it is not legal advice, it has some excellent information on your right when stopped or approached by police. (if you can get over some of the scenarios) Hope this helps.
    Done......

(Somerset County)

I'm new to the forum - but reading here, a thought occurs to me. We should possibly be concerned with some things other than carrying iron outside our pants. I recall a line from Quigley Down Under : "This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickock." Of COURSE the general public are going to react adversely to someone packing a hogleg in Walmart - - - cops too! So would most of us as we push our wife and kids behind us and finger our hidden 9mm. That is, we who have our legal carry permits and since we've been vetted; are most likely NOT nuts or a violent felon of some sort.

All that said : how about thinking about stand your ground; like Florida, Georgia, Texas and some other States. Protection against lengthy, costly litigation if, after you're cornered and have no other choice, you choose to shoot your armed assailant in the knees instead of the Sternum or Forehead. just a thought - - - L

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast