Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Open carry and what you should know before you do it

Quote Originally Posted by m16a View Post
    My apologies for dredging up an old thread, but I was doing some reading, because the more informed you are the better, and I came across the 4th point under equipment, talking about keeping your LTCF on you, which according to that, allows you to carry in a gun free school zone? I'm rather confused with that. I always thought you couldn't take a firearm into a school, unless you were law enforcement? Does this mean I could concealed carry my weapon to my little brother's graduation ceremony at the local public HS? If not, what exactly is that portion of the post trying to say?
    The federal Gun Free School Zones Act says that you cannot carry a firearm within 1000 feet of a school, unless you are licensed to carry a firearm by the state the school is in.

PA also has a law that you can't carry on school property, but there is an exemption for "other lawful purpose" (or similar wording). There however is no case law on whether or not carrying with a LCTF for self defense is considered a lawful purpose under the statute. So doing so will probably put you at risk of arrest and trial. And whether or not you win the case would be up in the air.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by m16a View Post
    My apologies for dredging up an old thread, but I was doing some reading, because the more informed you are the better, and I came across the 4th point under equipment, talking about keeping your LTCF on you, which according to that, allows you to carry in a gun free school zone? I'm rather confused with that. I always thought you couldn't take a firearm into a school, unless you were law enforcement? Does this mean I could concealed carry my weapon to my little brother's graduation ceremony at the local public HS? If not, what exactly is that portion of the post trying to say?

It sounds like you are confusing 'school zone' with 'school property'. Your PA LTCF allows you to carry OC or CC within the Federal Gun Free School Zone which is defined as being all areas within 1000 feet of school property.

PA law prohibits ALL weapons from school property and school buildings regardless of carry, so you cannot carry concealed either. Additionally, since you mention it, there is no exclusion for law enforcement in the wording of the law. Technically they can't carry there either. Good luck enforcing that one though.

Does that cover everything? Ask if you're not sure. Most of these laws are extremely poorly thought-out and poorly worded.

EDIT: You should also check out this thread, "Where you can and cannot carry..." http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

Last edited by Curmudgeon; May 14th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It sounds like you are confusing 'school zone' with 'school property'. Your PA LTCF allows you to carry OC or CC within the Federal Gun Free School Zone which is defined as being all areas within 1000 feet of school property.

PA law prohibits ALL weapons from school property and school buildings regardless of carry, so you cannot carry concealed either. Additionally, since you mention it, there is no exclusion for law enforcement in the wording of the law. Technically they can't carry there either. Good luck enforcing that one though.

Does that cover everything? Ask if you're not sure. Most of these laws are extremely poorly thought-out and poorly worded.

EDIT: You should also check out this thread, "Where you can and cannot carry..." http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

Curmudgeon, thank you for the information. I was indeed confusing 'school property' and 'school zones'. I believe that clears everything up nicely. That is also a very helpful link. I appreciate the insights.

t1066, thank you for your input as well. I don't plan on trying that out. Just a college kid, with not much money, and some aspirations in life that I'd prefer to not have dashed with a court case like that. Nonetheless, interesting to keep eyes on.

(Chester County)

It appears to me that all the links I found on this forum to access the flyer are broken and cannot access them. Not sure if they were taken down, but I would love to get my hands on one of them, or at least hope that someone can put up the link again, so I can print some out for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by AS70 View Post
    It appears to me that all the links I found on this forum to access the flyer are broken and cannot access them. Not sure if they were taken down, but I would love to get my hands on one of them, or at least hope that someone can put up the link again, so I can print some out for myself.
    Here you go.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...44990110,d.dmg

Can an out of state person open carry in pa without a license of any kind?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Thank You for posting this link!! Rep sent!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Can an out of state person open carry in pa without a license of any kind?

In a legal sense, yes, but it's mostly not very practical at all. Remember that unlicensed OC is limited to foot travel only, no vehicle travel except for an extremely limited circumstances.

Also remember that traveling by vehicle with a loaded firearm (no long guns) is legal with a license/permit from any state. They just can't carry concealed unless they have a license/permit from a reciprocal state.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Cumberland County)

Exclamation Re: Open carry and what you should know before you do it

I've been reading information posted in various places on this web site about issues like open carry and the License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF).
    In several places I found statements that clearly state a LTCF is required to carry a firearm in a vehicle!
    This is not an absolutely correct statement! There are exceptions!
    I think it would be much better if those who write the material for those portions of the web site like the one explaining open carry did not leave out part of the law they wish to explain.
    It is just as easy to be accurate in our explanations as it is to be inaccurate, but it's much better to be accurate!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rayl View Post
    I've been reading information posted in various places on this web site about issues like open carry and the License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF).
    In several places I found statements that clearly state a LTCF is required to carry a firearm in a vehicle!
    This is not an absolutely correct statement! There are exceptions!
    I think it would be much better if those who write the material for those portions of the web site like the one explaining open carry did not leave out part of the law they wish to explain.
    It is just as easy to be accurate in our explanations as it is to be inaccurate, but it's much better to be accurate!
    Exceptions to carry in a vehicle?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast