Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Desert Eagle in 50 as Primary Carry?

Just wondering if anyone is out there packing the Deagle? It was originally with my mindset of having to be concealed out of the question. But I was looking at some on the web last night, and am figuring go big or go home. I would open carry it and keep my sigma .40 as backup, or if I have to conceal just go with my sigma.

Any thoughts / experience?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Desert Eagle in 50 as Primary Carry?

I'll get a Desert Eagle when Fobus makes an ankle holster for it.
    Last edited by JustinM; May 14th, 2007 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    Just wondering if anyone is out there packing the Deagle? It was originally with my mindset of having to be concealed out of the question. But I was looking at some on the web last night, and am figuring go big or go home. I would open carry it and keep my sigma .40 as backup, or if I have to conceal just go with my sigma.

He he heh, I think a shoulder holster would "open" carry that beast pretty well. It is a good all around piece that could be use for survival hunting and protection. May I suggest another open carry choice? Vector V51 308 pistol with shoulder sling would make a better choice. 20 rounds of 308 ain't nothing to sneer at, he he heh.......

1FingrCHan

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Honestly, what do you do for a living such that open carry of a .50 Desert Eagle is considered "possible"?

(Allegheny County)

Live in a ghetto, work at a fitness center.

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: Desert Eagle in 50 as Primary Carry?

Under those circs I think I'd rather have the element of surprize. Face it the ultimate truth is that eight hits with a .32 auto are better than eight misses with a 50 BMG. I heard rumblings at the gunshow that they are tryin to squeek the BMG into a deagle

(Chester County)

I have yet to meet anyone who can effectively control 300 grains at 1575+ fps in the context of self-defense shooting. Sure, I know folks who can shoot it all day long at the range or use it for hunting, and who might be able to do just fine getting off the first shot, but after that? Forget about it. I can launch 3 rounds of full power 10mm in the time it takes me to do 1 of 50AE.

And I have yet to see a load in .50AE that is appropriate for self defense use. Even the lightest JHP is going to blow through your target.

If you MUST have a desert eagle, do yourself a favor and get it chambered in .44 Magnum -- it is far more controllable, cheaper in the ammo department, and there are good self defense loads available.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Live in a ghetto, work at a fitness center.
    Oh. Makes a little more sense. And your employers are cool with it? That's nice.

(Allegheny County)

employers are myself and my sisters

My buddy just told me about the 44 and thats open as an option as well. In the streets, and I have this from actuall criminals, if your open carrying one gun, chances are small that they're gonna come at you and the gun grab is stupid to them. Carrying 2 guns there's nil chance, and the bigger your gun the more they're gonna stay away from you. If your showing a "Duce Duce" .22 they're not even gonna worry, they've been shot before and a "Duce Duce" is nothing as one put it.

But yea also looking at the 44 magnum now as an option.

(Montgomery County)

I carried mine a few times just to see if i could.

3 words: 72 OUNCES UNLOADED.

thats 4.5Lbs before you add the ammo

its heavy, and silly, and hard to carry in anything...I tried shoulder holster and IWB...one gives y an aching back, the other a limp.

plus, after regular shooting, I found that the gun was not the most reliable thing..due to heavy recoil its real easy to limp wrist it...thats a gun that you have to concentrate to shoot right, and accurately...a stovepipe, or FTE is not something I want happening in a stress situation .

its a neat gun, but totally unsuitable for carry on a daily basis.

PA Dave: nobody is trying to fit 50 BMG in a DE, or any other auto pistol...you do know that overall length on a loaded 50BMG cartridge is almost 6 inches...right?
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast