Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Living 2 blocks from a school.....

I am curious what the law states for people who live within 1000 feet (about 2 blocks) of a school?

Are you allowed to walk outside of your property with your gun? I wold think common sense would dictate that one is allowed to provide safety for themselves at their residence, or in a close proximity thereof. Anything else would be ludicrous, but I am fully expecting that to be the answer here.

This story got me thinking.....what about the people who live close to the school?

Man arrested for gun at school(Wisconsin "school zone" law)
    GMtoday.com ^ | 30 April, 2009 | KRISTINE WALDEN

http://www.gmtoday.com/news/local_st...4302009_04.asp

A 32-year-old Pewaukee man has been charged with possession of a firearm in a school zone.

Bret P. Hooyman was arrested after he and his girlfriend met his girlfriend’s ex-husband at Friess Lake School in the town of Richfield for a child custody exchange at 6 p.m. Friday, according to Washington County Sheriff’s Department Capt. Steve Gonwa.
    Last edited by ShooterInPA1; May 17th, 2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Story added

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Living 2 blocks from a school.....

thats a good question.. i live 2 blocks from mt carmel hs it has a huge fence around the entire softball field and the parking lots so i dont think it would be an issue unless you go inside of the fences. really no one can tell where is 1000 feet or 500 feet . 1000 feet is almost 1/4 mile.
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; May 17th, 2009 at 03:12 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Gun-Free Schools. Wisconsin law, which was modeled on the federal Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1990, prohibits the possession or shooting
    of a firearm within a school zone. It defines a school zone as in the school
    building, the school grounds, and the area within 1000 feet of the school
    grounds. The law provides a number of exceptions, including possessing
    a firearm on private property, using a firearm for a school program, or
    carrying a firearm while crossing a school zone to get to lands open to
    hunting, and it excludes beebee guns, air guns, and starter pistols from
    the definition of “firearm” [s. 948.605].

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs/wb/00wb11.pdf

(Indiana County)

Pennsylvania does not have any law prohibiting the carry of firearms not on school grounds. Thus, it doesn't matter if you live two blocks, two miles, or two feet from school grounds. On school grounds comes under section 912 of the Crimes Code, but that's a separate issue.

The Imperial Federal Government supposedly has a law concerning withing 1,000 feet of a school (or maybe school grounds), but (a) if you have an LTCF you're exempt, and (b) if you don't have an LTCF I don't believe anyone's ever been prosecuted under the new, improved version of the so-called law.

Unfortunately for the State of Wisconsin, they do have a state law proscribing carry within 1,000 feet of school grounds. This isn't Wisconsin.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    thats a good question.. i live 2 blocks from mt carmel hs it has a huge fence around the entire softball field and the parking lots so i dont think it would be an issue unless you go inside of the fences. really no one can tell where is 1000 feet or 500 feet . 1000 feet is almost 1/4 mile.
    It doesnt matter if there is a fence of not, 1000 feet is a 1000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Pennsylvania does not have any law prohibiting the carry of firearms not on school grounds. Thus, it doesn't matter if you live two blocks, two miles, or two feet from school grounds. On school grounds comes under section 912 of the Crimes Code, but that's a separate issue.

The Imperial Federal Government supposedly has a law concerning withing 1,000 feet of a school (or maybe school grounds), but (a) if you have an LTCF you're exempt, and (b) if you don't have an LTCF I don't believe anyone's ever been prosecuted under the new, improved version of the so-called law.

Unfortunately for the State of Wisconsin, they do have a state law proscribing carry within 1,000 feet of school grounds. This isn't Wisconsin.
    Many thanks for clearing that up!

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
    It doesnt matter if there is a fence of not, 1000 feet is a 1000 feet.
    WHat about schools near airports? Say you are landing and the plane is 999 feet up?

These laws are insane!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by briantheshooter View Post
    WHat about schools near airports? Say you are landing and the plane is 999 feet up?

These laws are insane!
    I was replying to what he said about fences some how negating what a law might say in regards to distance. My point is if the law says 1000 feet and doesn't list an exception for fenced in areas then it is still a 1000 feet perimeter.

(Indiana County)

State law has no 1,000-feet restriction, so it doesn't matter.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by briantheshooter View Post

These laws are insane!
    You would be covered under the legal transportation clauses under that law - unloaded, securely encased, etc..

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container,
    or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast