Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Temple University.

Questions for someone who works/lives and Students at Temple Uni.

How's life in and around the campus as a students whose lives and study there?. Safe place?

My Daughter wanna go there for her major as of freshman, I've only heard bad thing about the area as of it's in Philly, we have an appointment on next Mon for a tour around the Campus, just wanna get a head up and the experience of the one who lives/works and study at the TU.

Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Temple University.

The campus of Temple is beautiful and also safe. Also the diversity of the students are amazing The neighborhood where temple is in the middle of is not to safe. The couple blocks surrounding the campus are ok mainly because TU students are living there. Anything farther than a couple blocks off campus are not good neighborhoods. One big plus side though and the temple police and their security force. Security usually have posts on and off campus and temple police in addition to phila. police patrol around alot and work good together.

While visiting I would defnitely drive around the neighborhood off of campus just to get a feel for it

Overall I would say its a safe place for your daughter would go to school at.

Invest in a good can of pepper spray... Hell Lock Haven is a tiny school and it still has its problems... I bought my girlfriend some pepper spray because I feared for her well being.. Good luck with Temple!
    ΑΣΦ

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRider View Post
    Questions for someone who works/lives and Students at Temple Uni.

How's life in and around the campus as a students whose lives and study there?. Safe place?

My Daughter wanna go there for her major as of freshman, I've only heard bad thing about the area as of it's in Philly, we have an appointment on next Mon for a tour around the Campus, just wanna get a head up and the experience of the one who lives/works and study at the TU.

Thanks.
    I agree with the PPs. The campus itself is very safe and the security/cops make their faces very well seen around campus. I second the driving around the neighborhood and the pepper spray.

That being said, off campus (from like 11th street towards the other lower numbered streets) there is some section 8 housing (at least I believe it is section 8, it is Phila. Housing Authority) and the kids (young like 10 years old) that live there are bad! You have to walk down that way to get to the train station (regional rail) and last week when I was walking down there were kids sitting on a wall throwing stones when students would walk by, I just crossed the street to avoid it. Your daughter must be sure she is always aware of her surroundings there.

When you read the crime report that is in the newspapers Temple distributes a lot of things are about theft. My friend had her phone stolen right off of her 2 years ago there by a little kid in front of people on campus when she was on the phone. Cars are broken into, I never lived on campus and usually took the train or the subway there but if I was driving I always made sure NOTHING was visible in my car. I didn't catch where you were from before I hit reply but if you are from a nicer area where stuff is left in a car just make sure your daughter gets in the habit of nothing being in plain sight and always locking doors (I grew up in Philly so I try to never really leave anything in the car, my boyfriend always reminds me I'm not in Philly anymore). Other things are stolen because people are too trusting and leave their laptops alone somewhere when they go to the bathroom.

They also have crime report/statistics available. I remember (maybe 2 years ago) seeing something on the news that compared the safety of people getting into the dorms of different campuses and I am almost 100% positive that Temple was one of the ones that an outsider could not get into.

I graduated on Thursday and I am very happy with my choice of Temple and I would choose Temple again in a heartbeat. And like the PP said, even small colleges are going to have issues, there are always people out at Temple and I never felt unsafe there. Just have to be aware of your surroundings.

Good luck to you daughter!! If you have any other questions let me know!

(Northampton County)

I am going to be a super senior at Temple next year (5 year plan for the win). As everyone else said, the campus is well lit and has a strong police/security presence. The surrounding neighborhoods are OK since they are mostly inhabited by college students. But it literally is like black and white how fast that changes. If she is going to stray off campus... even by a couple of blocks... she NEEDS to be with a group of people. Pepper spray is definitely a good idea. My sister was a freshman at Temple this past year and she carries pepper spray in her purse at all times. Quick story that had me raging: she was walking back to her dorm from the cafeteria and a group of young African Americans (from the surrounding neighborhood) ran by and snatched her cell phone out of her hands. She was alone and not paying attention, which made her an easy target. Regardless, she couldn't catch them because they were faster than her. I really wish I was there...

Anyway, as long as your daughter has a good head on her shoulders, she'll be fine.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the head up, will go to TU today and also visiting couple of schools around the area, Drexel, Uni of Philly and Uni of Penn, will spend whole day in Philly.

Little bit about my Daughter, straight A student, very good commonsense and very aware of hers surrounding, knows how to use firearms both wheel guns and semi autos, knows how to use different rifles from bolt action to AR/AK, have handling shotgun but haven't fires one yet. Of-course she's always carry a small peper sprays with her when out with her friends.

Back to TU, thanks every one and thanks for the link CAA2003. Will report back when we get back.

(Philadelphia County)

I take the train to school, so I don't spend very much time down there, but I don't find it to be as bad as most people make it out to be (most of the time it's just rumor or stuff they heard from someone who heard it from someone else's cousin).

What school is she looking to get in?

(Lehigh County)

Well, a quick up date after the tours. TU campus is the safest place compares to Drexel, U of Philly and U of Penn but outside of the campus, TU is surrounding in a IMO very shaggy neighbor, Uni of Pitt is also has good sercurity in campus but outside of the campus is also looks shaggy. So far, she likes Drexel best 'cause of her major, we'll go to IUP next month for a tour then start heading to out of state colleges, what a pain. By the way, her SAT is 1900+ and her GPA is 4.1.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRider View Post
    Well, a quick up date after the tours. TU campus is the safest place compares to Drexel, U of Philly and U of Penn but outside of the campus, TU is surrounding in a IMO very shaggy neighbor, Uni of Pitt is also has good sercurity in campus but outside of the campus is also looks shaggy. So far, she likes Drexel best 'cause of her major, we'll go to IUP next month for a tour then start heading to out of state colleges, what a pain. By the way, her SAT is 1900+ and her GPA is 4.1.
    I also feel as though Temple campus is the safest compared to Drexel and U of Penn. Just curious what is your daughter's major? You have one smart cookie there though Congrats!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by caa2003 View Post
    That being said, off campus (from like 11th street towards the other lower numbered streets) there is some section 8 housing (at least I believe it is section 8, it is Phila. Housing Authority) and the kids (young like 10 years old) that live there are bad! You have to walk down that way to get to the train station (regional rail) and last week when I was walking down there were kids sitting on a wall throwing stones when students would walk by, I just crossed the street to avoid it. Your daughter must be sure she is always aware of her surroundings there.!
    Since this is a firearms website I'll address the safety issues first.
    At this very train station, my friends first or second week at Temple freshman year, witnessed a old woman stabbed for her purse by some young thugs. Heard gun shots going off at all times of the day and night. These are similar stories I've heard from friends and acquaintances who attended Temple. Living off campus in the surrounding area isn't much safer than living a few blocks away. Just last semester a black guy with a gun walked into a friends apartment with a gun while they were having a party and robbed several attendee's before he ran off never to be caught(he's suspected to live across the street, but with no proof/fear for their lives what can they do). If you're small/white/female (all these things are working against you) and don't travel with a large group of people don't go out after dark. I've heard too many close calls and too many tragedies.

The education seems to be top notch however.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast