Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Difference bewteen CETME/FAL/G3/HK91

Hey PAOFA!

Here I come again, charging in with a question, hoping for some good'ol edumacation.

What's the difference between the CETME/FAL/G3/HK91 rifles? I hear them all together a lot, and they tend to be grouped together, and compared a lot as well... I did a search, and there were a lot of threads about who likes what more, but not really about how they are alike or different from each other.

I don't know anything about these guys, so I'd like to be enlightened! So what are these rifles like? How did they come about? History? How still uses them these days (military/police/LE)? How are they alike/different? What makes one more desirable over the others in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

LMcQ

Default Re: Difference bewteen CETME/FAL/G3/HK91

Lightning,

Try doing a Wikipedia search for a History lesson on these firearms.

Basically the CETME/G3/HK91 are all variations of the same rifle, The FAL is in a class all it's own.

The G3 was an improved version of the CETME and was adopted by the German Military. The HK91 was the Civilian version of the G3

The FAL was known as "the Right Arm of the Free World" cause it was adopted by so many countries, an interesting side note is that the FAL fought against the FAL in the Falken War of the 1980's.

Another interesting side note is that the CETME came about after the original engineers and designers fled Nazi Germany and set up shop in Spain. After things cooled down in Now West Germany, they returned and improved the design into the G3

All these rifles are excellent choices for a Combat Battle Rifle and while each one has it's defenders and detractors, most often the FAL seems to win out. While I own an FAL, I'm still a Garand man at heart.

You can also try Goggling 'The history of....CETME, FAL, etc...' for even more firearms history, But Wiki is a good start and will tell you more than space here allows.

While I'm sure some of these Rifles are still in service with some countries Military, None come to mind as most have switched over to more mainstream calibers. 5.56mm, 5.45mm and of course the infamous 7.62x39mm.

Good Luck
    TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Philadelphia County)

I've shot all four rifles, they are all awesome, but i'd put the FAL at the top spot. Just my preference.

Other than that, I'd say TJB nailed it.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

is there a difference in magazines for the cetme and g3?

(Berks County)

is there a difference in magazines for the cetme and g3?
    Yes they are different, Though many CETME's can use G-3 magazines, they are very similar, my CETME cannot, it functions fine with original magazines but there is a lock up issue with the G-3 magazines. There are some slight variations in the 2 magazines. Not sure if a G-3 can use CETME magazines.....but you would not even WANT to....surplus G-3 magazines are much cheaper than CETME mags.

You can blame the idiots at Century who put them together for most CETME troubles.

Standard Cetme mag:

Steel G-3 mag:

Last edited by 762xIan; May 16th, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Carbon County)

I, personally, favor the HK91/G3/Cetme family. The FAL is a superb design, and assembled by anybody other than the hacks at Century, a reliable, and accurate rifle.
    I'm a fan of the H&K roller-delayed blowback action- it's reliable, safe, and forgiving, feeding nearly any 7.62x51 that I have fed it.
    I own a HK91, a 93, and a PTR91K. To be truthful, I feel that the PTR is superior to the original HK. My PTR has a much nicer weld on the cocking tube, a heavier barrel, and the action is slicker than my HK. I also like the finish better.

Another point in the HK/Cetme's favor is that used aluminum mags are about $3 as opposed to the $20+ for a metric FAL, or hard to find inch L1A1.

Well, thats my $.02, anyway.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, guys...
    Did a little reading on Wiki as well, as suggested. Good stuff! Didn't know the H&K's were banned completely. No wonder why these go for so much$$$.

(Lebanon County)

I have 2 FALs and a CETME. Both styles have good offerings.

CETME:

Other than the fact it looks like it was welded by a chimp that was high on meth, it is a great shooter with zero failures. The delayed blow back makes it a very fun rifle to shoot. I definitely enjoy this rifle. My CETME does take the G3 mags, so I stocked up pretty cheap and have like a 40 mag collection for it for the cost of a few of mags for the FALs.

FALs:
    I have an Imbel based and a Enterprise based FAL. Both are fun to shoot! The Imbel based FAL is chopped to 16" (With maybe 1/8" extra), and even though its not a very practical weapon, it is absolutely a fun piece to shoot. The short barrel makes the FAL have a nice bark. Many people question that it's a .308. My Enterprise is a project rifle that I have building up to shoot more of a "Sniper look" type rifle. It's a FAL so it's not a tack driver, but I always wanted make one as close as I could. It still needs more for accuracy but it's another fun rifle to shoot.

Overall,

I have been on the fence of selling my CETME for awhile, but everytime I come close, I take it out to the range and fall in love with it all over again. I am sure if I sold it, I would try for another later one and my fear is that I won't get another with its excellent reliability. If the welds looked better, this would be a rifle I would never even consider moving down the road. But hey, when I got it, it's not like was an expensive item to add to the collection. I see the prices these days and I'm blown away. If you get a good CETME, you would be ok with spending todays price, but if you get a bad one (Which is very possible) it makes the price entirely to salty.

Just my 2cents

(Northampton County)

I've owned FAL's and CETME's on several occasions.........I tend to sell a gun when I get bored with it.........once I sold the FAL's I never went and bought another one, I have two CETME's in the safe now. Are they ugly? Not the best made for sure but both of mine have been 100% reliable. Mine are both older models with the wood furniture.

(Franklin County)

I would recommend the information in previous posts, plus picking up a copy of Bostons Gun Bible by Boston T. Party.