Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default I got stopped today....

I got pulled over for speeding tonight, didn't get a ticket all in all went well. (I think) I was driving the back roads near the Giant in Lebanon, on the way to a friends house. I came over a hill and at the bottom of the hill I saw the cruiser sitting off to the right. I went about 1/2 mile and saw the lights behind me.

LEO - "Good evening sir, drivers lic, reg, insurance cards please."

Me - "No problem" as I was reaching for my wallet, my wrist touched my G32 OC on my right hip, I thought oh shit he is gonna think I am reaching for my pistol and I threw my hands up on the wheel. In order to get my seat belt to buckle I have to slide my holster to the rear slightly.

LEO - "what the hell are you doing" as he stepped back

Me - "sorry officer, I have a pistol on my hip and can't get to my wallet with out moving it"

LEO - "Why do you have a pistol"

Me - "The same reason you do, to protect myself"

LEO - "Do you have a permit to carry"

Me - "I have a License To Carry Firearms, it's in my wallet with my drivers license"
    At this porint I am thinking great, I am gonna be face down on the hood of my truck in about 2 minutes.

LEO - "Is it loaded"

Me - "What good would an unloaded pistol do me" I realized as soon as I said it, I should have simply said "yes"

LEO - "Ok, no problem, get your wallet"

I reached down and slid my holster forward and pulled out my wallet, handed him my information.

LEO - "I got you doing 38 in a 25"

Me - "Ok, I must have missed the signs when the limit changed back there"

LEO - "The trees kind of obsure it a little, BTW are you in the military?"

Me - "Yes, Army here at Fort Indiantown Gap"

LEO - "What rank are you?"

Me - "Sergeant First Class/E7"

LEO - "Well SGT, slow it down and have a nice night."

That's it, no lecture, my head wasn't bounced off my hood.

I was very surprised how well this went. I was really expecting this to get ugly once I informed him about the pistol. I know I should not have made the sudden movement, I thought I would have been able to reach my wallet with out disturbing the pistol.

So other than the sudden movement, what do you guys think?
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Default Re: I got stopped today....

Sounds perfect to me and ANOTHER well informed LEO! I see nothing wrong with anything you did nor anything the LE did .... sounds like a 'perfect' stop!

Now slow the HELL down!

(Monroe County)

Sounds like it worked out for you. One of the things I would consider though is keep your wallet in your left side back pocket. Or get it out before he gets out of his car. I always try to have my stuff out and ready because I don't like fumbling through things when they are waiting. But glad that it worked out good for you and you didn't get to kiss pavement!

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Or get it out before he gets out of his car.
    Gotta be careful with that .. I have had more grief from LEOs for 'fidgeting' in the car while they were stopping me or walking towards me. Moving around in the car between the 'stop' and the 'asking for credentials' can get you into a situation you don't want to be in.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Sounds like it worked out for you. One of the things I would consider though is keep your wallet in your left side back pocket. Or get it out before he gets out of his car. I always try to have my stuff out and ready because I don't like fumbling through things when they are waiting. But glad that it worked out good for you and you didn't get to kiss pavement!
    A better option is to always have all your "stuff" organized so that you don't have to risk alarming an LEO as he approaches your vehicle or after he asks for license, reg and insurance card.

Consider a different holster and while driving maintain your credentials in an external compartment of the console area, even a cup holder if need be.

(Northumberland County)

why would he ask some dumb questions like why do you have a pistol? is it loaded? anyone with common sense would know why someone is carrying a pistol , and very funny they cant bounce your head off the hood that would be excessive force, they only do that if you resist arrest.... anyways that was a good hair raiser you made all the right moves and when he stepped back means u scared him a little....

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Gotta be careful with that .. I have had more grief from LEOs for 'fidgeting' in the car while they were stopping me or walking towards me. Moving around in the car between the 'stop' and the 'asking for credentials' can get you into a situation you don't want to be in.
    +1
    I was told a long time ago by a LEO to wait until asked for information before reaching. Most that I have talked to recommend keeping hands on the steering wheel until they walk to the window. They want to see your hands when you reach for anything.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

True I suppose they could be suspicious if you are moving around a lot, one of the reasons why I don't keep my stuff to far away. I don't have to change my position in the seat much for where I keep my insurance card and registration. I never keep it in the glove box so I don't have to reach over, I guess it would depend on the vehicle and its storage compartments as well.
    I have always thought they would rather you have everything ready for them so you are not reaching for things while they are standing there. But who knows I am not a Police Officer and I have never had any problems so I never gave to much thought on doing it different.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    A better option is to always have all your "stuff" organized so that you don't have to risk alarming an LEO as he approaches your vehicle or after he asks for license, reg and insurance card.

Consider a different holster and while driving maintain your credentials in an external compartment of the console area, even a cup holder if need be.
    Sorry bud but in day to day life you are talking a Utopian attitude ... we ALL know we DON'T have our 'shit together' each and every second and I honestly feel the OP did EXACTLY the right thing, without the 'prefect situation' at his fingertips.

We can all Monday morning quarterback BUT how many can actually 'pull off' their advice in a 'real world' situation?

(Westmoreland County)

Sorry bud but in day to day life you are talking a Utopian attitude ... we ALL know we DON'T have our 'shit together' each and every second and I honestly feel the OP did EXACTLY the right thing, without the 'prefect situation' at his fingertips.

We can all Monday morning quarterback BUT how many can actually 'pull off' their advice in a 'real world' situation?
    Well, I'm not sorry because when I step into my truck, my cell phone goes in one cup holder and my wallet goes into the other. My insurance card is in the console.

It's about establishing a routine, much like a status check of your weapon.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast