Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 OS?

Default Windows 7 OS?

Anyone here beta test or use the release candidate of Windows 7? They're saying it might be released by Christmas in a "final" version.

Wondering if it's any good? I use XP now and it's OK I guess. Am in need of a new computer and wanted to see if Windows 7 is worth waiting for or just go with a Vista system now?
    Altho from what I hear Vista is not too good either.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Windows 7 OS?

I'm running the beta on a laptop, and have put it on a few other systems. I like it very much, it's excellent for a non-finalized product. I don't have an issue with Vista though, but Windows 7 seems a better product.

I'd stick with XP, and buy the new version when it's out. No need to buy vista now.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    No need to buy vista now.

camper
    Don't know what you mean "Buy" it comes on just about every computer now and many of those computers costs less then if you bought XP off the shelf...

Just saying.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

I say if you need a new computer now go ahead and buy one. Vista works fine (I use it on my home PCs not my laptop as it is OLD) and I think it is much better than XP. It might take a little getting used to buy you will manage. Windows 7 is supposed to just perfect vista is what a lot of experts say. I wouldn't worry about 7.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    I don't have an issue with Vista though,
    Wow, you are the first one I've ever seen that can say that. Vista sucks in about 8,000 different ways, IMO. I could probably list close to that many reasons, but I won't.

The reason why M$ is coming out with 7 so soon, is because Vista really sucked that bad.

I'd stick with XP, and buy the new version when it's out. No need to buy vista now.
    This, we agree on. XP is the best thing M$ put out since DOS.

Edit:
    Vista works fine
    Wow, I'm outnumbered so far. I don't know anyone that likes Vista, and computers are part of what I do for a living.
    Last edited by 625; May 14th, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Am in need of a new computer and wanted to see if Windows 7 is worth waiting for or just go with a Vista system now?
    I use Vista only for Administrative tasks, remote assistance, etc. With Windows 7 on the horizon, we're skipping Vista entirely and waiting.

However, I would suggest sticking with XP until Windows 7 releases the first service pack. I tend to avoid new products whether they be cars, devices, or software. Just hold off until actual QA is done by end users before adopting. If Vista is any indication of what they're shoveling out the window, your best bet is to wait for someone else to find the bugs.

/.02

(Allegheny County)

i'm still running windows 2000.

funny thing about windows 2000...

it actually works.
    F*S=k

(Adams County)

Don't know what you mean "Buy" it comes on just about every computer now and many of those computers costs less then if you bought XP off the shelf...
    OK, I meant wait for Windows 7. And everything I'm hearing from MS reps is looking like October and if you aren't in critical need for a computer right now its worth the wait IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Wow, you are the first one I've ever seen that can say that. Vista sucks in about 8,000 different ways, IMO. I could probably list close to that many reasons, but I won't.
    Once you turn off UAC, it's fine...really. XP is better no doubt, but the grief most have with Vista has more to do with the nag screens and the 'hidden' prevention of tasks/installs/updates due to the UAC and poor programming on behalf of 3rd party developers.

Wow, I'm outnumbered so far. I don't know anyone that likes Vista, and computers are part of what I do for a living.
    Computers are ALL I do for a living

camper

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    Just hold off until actual QA is done by end users before adopting. If Vista is any indication of what they're shoveling out the window, your best bet is to wait for someone else to find the bugs.
    They're counting on the open beta to accomplish much of the bug finding this go round, anyone and their brother can get a key and install it on as many systems as they like. I've beat up one or two systems pretty hard, and other than a couple IE 8 hiccups its pretty steady with a wide range of software packages. But I think that is more IE 8 than Windows 7.

I've got it running on an older system that vista had a rough time with, and it performs better than XP.

This beta is as tight a release as Vista SP1, and that seems to be the consensus.

Doesn't hurt to wait though...I'd give it time in an enterprise, but for home you're fine.

camper

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i'm still running windows 2000.

funny thing about windows 2000...

it actually works.
    I think that 2000 was the best that MS put out. I can't stand Vista, but have heard good things about 7.

Yeah, MS is pushing out 7 so quick because Vista was such a failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast